Sponsored by:

NJMP Racing School Article

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJMP Racing School Article

I wrote an article for my regions upcoming PCA newsletter on the NJMP racing school I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the article for those who are interested.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Want to be a Race Car Driver?

Do you want to know what it’s like to be a racecar driver? Are you an active DE participant who’s looking to widen your experience? Are you someone who likes to try something new? If you fit into any of these categories you might wish to consider attending the recently opened NJMP Racing School. I was fortunate enough to be an attendant of the inaugural class of the school and I am happy to report I had a terrific time.

The one day school was held on the Lightening Course at the park and had 22 participants, of which 7 where father-son pairs. I attended with my son, Joe who had never been to a track and as I was to find out later in the day, was equally thrilled with the experience.

As we drove up to the track on the hot, August morning we were greeted by the shiny race cars which we would drive, lined up and looking oh so sharp. The cars were last used in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Series. Each is powered by a 2.0-liter, 170 hp, four-cylinder TDI clean diesel engine mated to six-speed, double-clutch, automatic DSG transmission. The cars are fitted with racing slicks, modified suspensions, upgraded brake components (taken from the Audi R8), safety seats, harnesses, roll cages and fire extinguisher systems.

After checking in we were treated to a light breakfast and we then went out to be fitted for our helmets, racing suits and cars. Great care was taken to ensure we understood the safety elements of the car and proper use of the harness restraint system.

The course started with a 45 minutes classroom session in which the instructors went over the car specifications and safety in detail and some introductory high performance driving techniques. The head instructor; Ryan Arciero, NJMP Racing School Driving Coach was assisted by several Volkswagen TDI cup drivers and technical personnel. Ryan and all of the Volkswagen people were very knowledgeable and they went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and that every question or comment we had was addressed.

After the class it was time for a track walk. We boarded vans which stopped at every one of the 10 turns on the 1.9 mile course and where the breaking zones, turning points, apexes and track out points for each turn were discussed in detail. Then it was back to the pit area and into the cars.

For the morning runs the cars were divided into two groups; “advanced/intermediate” and “novice”. The first two sessions of the day were “follow the leader “in nature with instructors leading their respective groups around the track. After every two laps your position in the line would change as the car behind the lead instructor’s car would move over and go to the back of the line. Each session lasted 30 minutes. The first follow the leader session was a little ragged as people got use to the cars and gaps were pretty wide in some cases. However after a quick debrief of the session we were back on the track for the second “follow the leader” run and the gaps decreased, the speeds picked up and so did the fun.

As a driver with DE experience only, I used the “follow the leader” time to get use to being in a racecar for the first time. The racing seats, safety harnesses, the heat, and the loud noise were all new to me. As were the dynamics of the car, the paddle shifters (you can leave it in automatic) and the power band of the car. (Hint number 1: while they may not be the most HP heavy cars on the track the cars certainly can move when you keep them in the proper RPM range.)

After the two morning sessions we met as a group for lunch at the clubhouse at NJMP. Then it was back to the track for what many of us were eagerly waiting for; the two open track sessions.

In the open track sessions, also 30 minutes, all attendees were given free reign of the track. The only condition was that passing was only allowed in the front straight. While there were 22 cars on the track I never was in any traffic that slowed me down and I was fully able to drive the car to my individual talent level. In the first open session I did witness a few spins offs but no cars suffered any damage (Hint number 2: if you are going off the track, don’t try to save it!). Another debrief was then held where the spin-offs were discussed and then it was back on the track for our final driving session.

Driving during the open sessions was very exciting. Similar in some aspects to DE’s I have attended in my Porsche Carrera 997 but the racecars give you a higher level of interaction with the racetrack. Turning was precise and stopping power was very impressive. And I have to say it was allot of fun to toss someone else’s car around on the track for a change. It was also neat watching my son drive on the track. With no track experience I have to say he really held his own and the smile on his face after a session was nice to see.

The whole driving school experience at NJMP that day was a pleasure. From the cars, to the instructors, to the way we were treated, everything was first class. If you have the urge to find out what it’s like to drive a racecar, the NJMP racing School (www.njmpracingschool.com) is a great place to start.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

Nice article and sounds like a fun day. Do you feel you learned a lot in terms of driving?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks matt.

As a lower intermediate DE driver I wouldn't say I learned allot. But I did learn some stuff. (I think any of the first timers however would certainly say they did learned alot.)

Two areas I learned more about would be getting to the gas faster in turn ins and trail braking. In the racecar I did a lot more trail braking than I ever do in my 997.

Quick Reply: NJMP Racing School Article