Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had the Ingersoll-Rand w/ LiIon battery and it works great. I can easily use it at a couple events without recharging. Removes trailer lug nuts w/ only a couple beats. The price KurtM linked is a smokin deal.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

I have both the Milwaukee 18 volt and 28 volt cordless impacts. Either one will do whatever you need, but the 28v is a brute and heavier/larger. They are both great, and I highly recommend them.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Ingersoll Rand. The best tool I ever bought.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
I've had the Ingersoll-Rand w/ LiIon battery and it works great. I can easily use it at a couple events without recharging. Removes trailer lug nuts w/ only a couple beats. The price KurtM linked is a smokin deal.
For $285? I just pulled the trigger.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
The new Longacre is much better than the old one, it was a POS. Call Mark Francis, they sell them and he can explain the difference. Snap-On is a close second but not as much torque, also had the Ingersol Rand and worked fine until batteries let out.
Did it. Thanks everyone for your advice and experience. The Longacre seems to be the least expensive that will actually do the job (and my job is just removing lug nuts - anything heavier will be in the garage and pneumatic) and Mark said he has seen no returns on the latest Longacre. Around $250 for gun, charger, and 2 batteries. Free shipping.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

ToolTopia is running a deal on the Ingersoll Rand IRTWK360KL2 which comes with 2 lithium ion batteries, charger, and a case for $285. I've heard great things about the Snap-On, but it is about 2x the price (more if you add a second battery).

The Snap-on and IR guns are both fairly light weight which is a plus if you are on your back under your car.

(edit - just saw the link in the previous post by Kurt)

In a cage match, the Snap-on won.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

That's a pretty good price on that Ingersoll Rand unit. It's a solid unit.

I got a great deal on Bosch unit I mentioned earlier. I found that Tool Barn had them on sale for $206 with 2 batteries and free shipping. I am sure that was a pricing error...but Tool Barn honored the price anyway. Now they sell it for $423.89.

Scott
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i got a great deal on the snap on - from a dealer we knew, and in Oregon with no sales tax. had a dewalt prior which just didn't do it for me.

i went with the lithium ion and only need one battery - it's got a read out on the unit to let you know how much is left

i'd have no problem with the IR tool though - then i'd have a few more pennies to put toward tires
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendo
i got a great deal on the snap on - from a dealer we knew, and in Oregon with no sales tax. had a dewalt prior which just didn't do it for me.

i went with the lithium ion and only need one battery - it's got a read out on the unit to let you know how much is left

i'd have no problem with the IR tool though - then i'd have a few more pennies to put toward tires
Nice avatar!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Got one when my son had a student discount for SnapOn. Great tool. Believe removal TQ is 600 lb-ft. Li battery stores for a looong time.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:41 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Nice avatar!
thanks, Washington's Finest right there....
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

IR Impact Wrench just showed up today. It looks good and the batteries charge really fast. Can't wait to take off some lug nuts.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Makita BTW450 with Li batteries. All I need with 325 tq. Li batteries don't self discharge like Ni or nmh. No name types may do the job but you could end up tossing the tool because you cannot get batteries. Batteries with screw together type cases can get re built.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Just purchased the IR at Tooltopia for $285!!!!

Left Brain: "Happy Birthday Tom"
Right Brain: "Why thank, it is so nice of you to remember and get me a new impact wrench"
Left Brain: "Well, I knew you really needed a new one after the baterries died in your last one"
Right Brain: "How kind of your to notice"
L/R/L/R/L/R Brain: "How about we go out for a beer right now and celebrate your new tool" "Yes sir"
Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Do all ya'll use these in place of air?

Most of the time I just remove lugs the old fashioned way - with Ingersol Rand air tools and Ingersol Air . I have several sizes of air compressors around. I could see using the cordless down on the grid for a quick change of a flat or something. But up by the trailer or in the shop I would use the air.

But I pretty much have DeWalt in the battery operated tools so I have plenty of DeWalt batteries etc around.

What was the DeWalt problem if you dont me asking? I would likely get the DeWalt as it hits 300 ft lbs.

Quick Reply: Impact Wrench