Sponsored by:

Helmet brands and quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Helmet brands and quality

It's time to get an SA2010 helmet. The rest are being grandfathered-out of PCA DE so a lot of us will be in this spot.

I've liked my Pyrotect full-face helmet and was thinking about the same. I see the SA2010 is a bit more expensive then the comparable Bell. (Those fit about the same, don't they?)

Then there are lower-priced helmets by RCI, Racequip and Zamp. Then Speedway offers a special Bell for a bit less than the regular model.

I'll give the stock advice: Go try some on and check them out. The problem is that the shops that have them stock the expensive models and, no, my head ain't worth $500. Lots of choices in $250 to $300.

Then there's G-Force, Simpson, Impact and Arias...and more.

Can someone offer some insight into which brands are the best value and which are the entry-level brands of the big manufacturers?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Helmets

Some models fit "round" heads and others fit "oval" shaped heads better. Usually more expensive is more aerodynamic, has more features, offered in hat sizes (like Bell) instead of a size range (Small, med, large). Tat's why it's recommended to try them on. Some of the manufacturers don't post helmet weights because they "vary" in production. Plus, some helmets have chin gurneys and aero kits, side or top air options, different venting depending on your driving requirements (dirt, open cockpit, etc).

If you do a google search on "helmet weights", you'll find some various sites out there that have done their own research on weight, features, etc.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I picked up the Pyrotect SA2010 Pro Airflow full face helmet a few months ago and i'm very happy with the comfort and fit ...
I believe it has more cooling vents than the older SA2005 model and is possibly lighter !
Good value for the money and the eye port is fairly large as well.

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is a Shoei SA2005 full face helmet. i really like it; fit is very good, very comfortable. my brother rode bikes and told me that Shoei was a very good helmet, so i purchased one.

Todd
Reidspeed
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenL
and, no, my head ain't worth $500.
With respect, I do not understand this mindset at all.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You seem to be the only one with respect.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 133 Posts

Glen:
The Bell Sport is a very good reasonably priced helmet at $279.95. The one time I tried a Pyrotech several years ago the fit was close to the Bell M2 I had at the time. What size is your current Pyrotech?

Yes, if you have somewhere local to try on helmets, that is the smart thing to do. If you are unable to do that, then you will need to measure your head. Have an assistant use a measuring tape, or a piece of string to measure the circumference of your head starting at a point approximately one inch above the eyebrows in front, around a point in the back of the head that results in the largest possible measurement, and finally wrapping back to the front. It is a good idea to take several measurements to make sure you have the largest one.

If you have any questions, we will be happy to assist you. Give us a call at 800-934-9112, and our sales staff will be able to help you select a good helmet that fits your budget.

Thanks,
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I agree, you are about to spend $1,000 on a weekend going through consumables and entrance fees, but you are going to skimp on personal safety? The one bit of kit that is going to last you up to 5 years. Let me see that breaks down to $100/year and if you do 4 events a year that makes it around $25 per event. You are going to spend more on hamburgers.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I agree, you are about to spend $1,000 on a weekend going through consumables and entrance fees, but you are going to skimp on personal safety? The one bit of kit that is going to last you up to 5 years. Let me see that breaks down to $100/year and if you do 4 events a year that makes it around $25 per event. You are going to spend more on hamburgers.
Point very well made !
I always just post the Darwinism theory myself, but I really like the way you broke it down. Now I'm thinking since I do way more than 4 events a year that I can afford a $1000. CF helmet ! - The lighter weight will be much easier on my neck and could also prevent a hang mans fracture someday.
I might even spring for that fancy paint job now, I figure I do at least 20 weekends a year at one track or another so my cost will be dirt cheap !
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might even spring for that fancy paint job now,

Side benefit is the fact that you'll go faster...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I just got a Stilo ST4 GT W. The inner lining is made up of exchangable pads so I can basically rebuild the stinky part in a few years, but the shell is good for 10. Not to mention the amazing ear muff speakers, no more ear buds!!! It came pre-fitted with a drink tube/bit valve, microphone installed, and fia hans posts installed. It's my brain, to me it's priceless, to my wife.... some days it's worth no more than $20!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
gomez1
Racer

What is your life worth? Skip an event and go with the best helmet money can buy!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

This isn't out yet, but looks promising...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/30/i...t-accident-re/
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
mine is a Shoei SA2005 full face helmet. i really like it; fit is very good, very comfortable. my brother rode bikes and told me that Shoei was a very good helmet, so i purchased one.

Todd
Reidspeed
Todd

You sure that's a SA 2005 Shoei? We used to sell Shoei and I didn't think they produced any SA 2005. M rated yes, but not SA. I might be wrong.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best helmet you can buy is one that fits well

If a HJC fits you perfect, there isn't much to gain on spending 3 times the price unless you care about the features.

Weight? Considering the latest FIA helmets are significantly heavier than the equivalent SA helmet what does that mean?

Quick Reply: Helmet brands and quality