Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
..., but probably not needed in my case since I will not be pulling 40ft or 2 cars. Part of my thinking about DRW was maybe getting a gooseneck because I thought they would tow better and be less likely to get stolen.
Do 5th wheels tow better?
Well sort of however it is more complex. Most of the time goose/fiver are larger trailers. The reason is for long heavy trailers putting the load over the rear axle helps stability. So yes they do to better. However it more complex, because if you are towin 20 to 24ft you can't get a goose that small for the most part. So at 32 to 36 ft for a goose Hmm... not such a clear deal. Remember a a goose is measured tip to tip on the box and 32 foot goose may only have 24 to 28 feet on the floor.

My take is if you want 20-24 feet of floor space a bumper pull is fine. Once you are needing 28 feet on the floor a small goose might be something to consider. For 30 feet on the floor consider a goose as 30 and 32 feet bumper pulls are about as long as you want to go. Also consider things like number of axles changes trailer stability. A triple tends to be more stable than a double axle.

Will a crew cab - short bed work as well as the long bed even though is has a shorter wheelbase?
In general longer wheelbase is better due to more stabiity. A Crew cab already is pretty long so that helps. Again how big of a trailer? I am happy with my extended cab short bed 3/4 ton with 24ft box. Works great. For a goose you may or may not need a and 8ft bed. If you do any 6.5 bed with a goose pay attention to the space between the cab and trailer. My 3/4 ton came iwth 5th wheel hitch in the bed and I suspect spents its firts 40k miles towing a 5th wheel RV. It has dent in cab where I am sure the trailer hit it.

So really the best plan is to select your trailer and then determine the best truck configuation to tow it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
6point3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night my wife says, "be sure to get the 4 doors". We are selling the A6 and she will only have the communter. She want to be able to load 4+ kids at a time. Knowing her intention to use the truck for trips to museums, puppet shows and amusement parks, I don't think a dually is going to work real well. -wink-

Will a crew cab - short bed work as well as the long bed even though is has a shorter wheelbase?
A heavy duty 3/4 truck, preferably a diesel, whether short or long wheel base will be fine for what you want and need. My short wheel base works great with the 35ft camper and with an 18ft open trailer, I never knew it was there. The SWB advantage is maneuverability in parking areas and turning with the trailer.

Gooseneck's might tow easier on the road, but hard on turning, i.e think 18 wheeler.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you have pulled with at DRW it is hard to go backwards. Much more stable.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MJHanna; 11-11-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gooseneck's might tow easier on the road, but hard on turning,

Why on earth would you say a gooseneck is difficult to turn?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiB
Gooseneck's might tow easier on the road, but hard on turning,

Why on earth would you say a gooseneck is difficult to turn?
That was obviously written by someone who has never pulled with a gooseneck. A gooseneck is far easier to turn and backup for parking than a bumperpull. If necessary you can jacknife and make a U-turn. It is the length of the trailer that makes turns harder. Turning from a narrow road on to another narrow road or driveway is hard to do but a gooseneck makes it easier.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
That was obviously written by someone who has never pulled with a gooseneck. A gooseneck is far easier to turn and backup for parking than a bumperpull. If necessary you can jacknife and make a U-turn. It is the length of the trailer that makes turns harder. Turning from a narrow road on to another narrow road or driveway is hard to do but a gooseneck makes it easier.
Well hell yeah...and easier to hitch up.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 AM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

A dually is not as wide as the car trailer, so not an issue of it being too wide when towing, but I guess it depends on how much non-towing use is involved. The brakes are the same for the SRW and the Dually.

I have a Ford F350 long bed supercab and carry a large camper. Works great at the track, and to and from towing a Flight open trailer.

My rig weighs about 16500 lbs with the camper and trailer. V10 gas motor and a automatic trans. Pretty much the same running gear that is under most class c motorhomes
Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
You can tow a gooseneck with a longbed SRW OR with a shortbed SRW with the hitch extender and/or a v-nose gooseneck.
Bingo. F350 Supercab with 28' V nose gooseneck. I can get close to maybe 80 degrees before attic starts to hit rear window. 6'6" bed,SRW.
Not sure if it really is a hitch extender though. They just start the attic further back a few feet. 8' from ball to floor seems to be the norm.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Best already said, but one more time....

DRW allows more weight in bed, longer trailers use 5th wheel or goose to get weight in bed to stabilize trailer - have a trailer 34feet or longer, go DRW.

Since Airstreams only do bumper pull - my Airstream classic is 32feet - SRW best for me as going to DRW you loose anti-trailer sway control and both trucks have same bumper pull ratings.

Good hitch like ProPride or Hensley and your trailer will be rock steady in all toeing conditions!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
ncgt3
Advanced

Don't waste you're $$$ the SRW. You'll wish you bought the DRW. If you're going down the path of pulling large trailers, diesel DRW long bed 4x4 is the only way to go. Pain in a$$ to park, etc but it should not be a daily driver - towing only - if you cannot afford a dedicated tow vehicle, you need to reconsider the entire project. The earlier post about goosenecks being harder to tow / back up / etc was clearly posted by someone who has zero experience. I currently tow a 40ft gooseneck horse trailer that is 22K loaded with a 2011 F350 DWR Diesel long bed. The truck handles the trailer no problem. I use a 2001 Ford Excusion 7.3 diesel to pull a 24ft bumper pull car trailer - again no issues.

Had a 2006 Freightliner Sportchassis w/ the cat (not the mercedes) - the sportchassis was better decending in the mtns on 7% grades with 22K horse trailer, but the F350 pulls better up the hills... Better torqu to weight ratio and better gearing. - yes, I know it is hard to believe, but it is true... BTW, I recently sold a trucking company that I owned for 17yrs so I know my way around the towing subject.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

DRW if not going to be a daily driver. I loved mine but after 18 months as a daily driver with very little towing, it was too much truck for the towing to daily driver ratio. I still miss it though.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I just got my son (also work truck) a 3500 4x4 crew cab long bed Dodge Cummins powered stick(only ones that offer it) srw. Around town you start out in third. The thing is a beast.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Well, I ended up going with an F350 SD 4x4 DRW Diesel. I have had it a year now and I absolutely love it. I have never felt so confident towing. The Toyota makes for a white knuckle ride every time. The unit accelerates and brakes exceptionally well. It is heavy and that means semis don't push it around on the highway. The wide track and long wheelbase make it stable. I got a crew cab so I have tons of room for people and gear.
It would not be a comfortable daily driver, but, in my case, being strictly a tow vehicle, bigger is better. It is like harnesses and head containment seats. I no longer fear taking my family with me when towing.
A good compromise would be a SRW 1 ton Diesel long wheelbase. It would be OK as a daily driver and an exceptional tow vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?