Sponsored by:

Am I nuts for doing this?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I nuts for doing this?!

Ok, it isn't exactly a racing post but I'm on the verge of selling my DD (an Audi A4 Avant) and will buy a tow vehicle in its replacement. Since the tow vehicle will have to be my DD unfortunately, I'm looking for a vehicle with some refinement. Top candidates are the Touareg, Q7, and Range Rover (will have to sell my classic car as well to raise funds =( .

My question is, am I nuts for going this route? I mean I can still drive my track car to events but I really prefer not to since 1) it has no AC 2) its loud as !@#$ (fully gutted interior and cat-delete yes yes illegal 3) would like to start running R6 tires.

I just think it may be silly to make all these changes and investments (will have to buy a 16' trailer as well) when I only participate in 1 or 2 events a month. BTW, is it possible to load a car onto the trailer w/o the assistance of someone? Do I need a special license to tow a trailer like a class C?

What's everyone's take on this? How did you decide on the towing route? In hindsight, I should’ve bought a car that was still semi street-able.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the world of a track junkie. This is what I've done...my DD is my tow vehicle.

-Skip
Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarian06
Ok, it isn't exactly a racing post but I'm on the verge of selling my DD (an Audi A4 Avant) and will buy a tow vehicle in its replacement. Since the tow vehicle will have to be my DD unfortunately, I'm looking for a vehicle with some refinement. Top candidates are the Touareg, Q7, and Range Rover (will have to sell my classic car as well to raise funds =( .
I would vote touareg v10 diesel. to tow your car to track is a bit of pain but it would give much more freedom on a track rather than to worry of what will happen if car brakes there. i drive my car to track now and only wish i could switch to towing it down there.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm, this sounds suspiciously like my track career.
I don't think there is a logical answer to this (hell, when I saw the post title I was tempted to say 'sure, all of us are nuts'). it depends more on what you want to do.
I enjoy having a track car and truck/trailer, but its expensive and a pain in the neck sometimes. But it sure is nice to have room for lots of tools, tires, etc. and know that I can haul the car back home if there is a failure.
On the other hand, trucks and especially trailers have their own failure issues.
I say go with your gut if your budget allows it. If you can, drive an older DD and have a tow vehicle for those needs. Tow vehicles are pretty inefficient DDs. Many folks don't have the room for this # of vehicles.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the slippery slope!

My daily driver is an F250 crew cab diesel that also serves as a tow vehicle.

Yes, you can load and unload by yourself, I do it all the time.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My question is, am I nuts for going this route? I mean I can still drive my track car to events but I really prefer not to since 1) it has no AC 2) its loud as !@#$ (fully gutted interior and cat-delete yes yes illegal 3) would like to start running R6 tires.

I just think it may be silly to make all these changes and investments (will have to buy a 16' trailer as well) when I only participate in 1 or 2 events a month. BTW, is it possible to load a car onto the trailer w/o the assistance of someone? Do I need a special license to tow a trailer like a class C?

No not nuts all. Perfectly logical. Tow a car to the track is superior to driving it. It allow you to track the car without worring about driving it home. If it fails you just drag it back. I have trailered my 84 944 to the track since 2000. It was always a good idea. Best plan is to have dedicated tow vehicle, often times parking issues limit that. Cost wise it can be cheaper than compromise TV/DD.

Anyway I only particiapte in 7-8 events a year. Still when I am glad to tow as who wants to drive 12 hrs in tin can? Better to have A/C, radio and some comfort. Plust you can bring lots of tools, spares etc to the track.

As for license. Nothing need unless you go over 10,000lbs trailer Then well it depends.

As for loading without assistance. Open trailer is easy. Enclose can be harder, but also easy. It just may take some practice to line everything up. Then drive straight up on the ramp. A stop block helps forward position so you can feel when to stop. The only down side is you have more crap to load/unload and deal with. I sometimes think about just driving the car some times. Then I think about days like this weekend. Only have 50 mile drive to the track, but if gets under 90F at anytime over the weekend it will be a amazing. My first session is at 6am and I figure it will be 90F air temp. I will be done by 11am and 100F. With a TV I can drive home in A/C comfort, plus my 24 ft enclosed box provides shade/shelter and room for plenty of coolers etc. I have considered A/C for the trailer, but not quite there yet.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swftiii
Welcome to the world of a track junkie. This is what I've done...my DD is my tow vehicle.

-Skip
I also have done the same, my dd is my Expedition. I always drove my track cars to the track, up till the time it stranded me. I will never drive the car to the track again. It took all day to come up with a truck and trailer to get home, and arrange all the logistics. If I had had a trailer, I would have been home before noon. Never again.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

My question is, am I nuts for going this route?
Yes.

Welcome to the insane asylum.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

What's everyone's take on this? How did you decide on the towing route? In hindsight, I should’ve bought a car that was still semi street-able.
No need for a special license to tow. At least not in the state I live in. There's not problem loading a car on a trailer by yourself. It's nice to have someone spot you but not recall necessary, particularly once you have some experience. That said, I winch my car onto the trailer. It's easy, I don't need a spotter, and in case the car breaks down, you have a way to get it on the trailer.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 920 Likes on 561 Posts

This is like asking your dealer if you need more crack. Hell yes get the truck.
The following users liked this post:
efowler (03-01-2023)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe i'm strange but I like driving my big F250 to work. My commute is stop and go traffic and the view from the cab is fantastic at times
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Hmmmm, let's see if RL can help out this newbie to the world of tracking a car.....

What you need is a dual "tow vehicle" AND place to stay while at the track!.... I vote for a Class A diesel pusher

Hey, I'm just trying to save you a few steps down the road.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 920 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Maybe i'm strange but I like driving my big F250 to work. My commute is stop and go traffic and the view from the cab is fantastic at times
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

My question is, am I nuts for going this route?

2010 : 1988 911 , open steel trailer, Lincoln Navigator tow vehicle.

2011 : 2002 Koni challenge car, enclosed trailer with A/C, Ford F250 diesel on the way.

I have managed to justify these purchases with the money I will save at motels by sleeping in the trailer.
Welcome to the addiction...
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

My only regret about buying a DD tow vehicle and open trailer is that I didn't do it sooner.

Provided you stick with an open aluminum trailer, they actually hold their value surprisingly well (that's my story and I'm stick'in to it)

Quick Reply: Am I nuts for doing this?!