Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
are there any adapters/mounts to get this device mounted elsewhere than on a suction mount on a windshield, in a car with full interior?
With the RAM diamond mount there are other options, like this one - flexible stalk that mounts to a rail (seat or otherwise)
Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Don't close your eyes when braking at the end of the straight.
Seriously, 30 seconds is a very long hold for last lap time. Most displays update to the current lap in a lot less time than that.

I have to admit I even have that issue at CMP with my Traqmate and I think it may hold even longer.

With CMP's start finish pretty much in the braking zone, it's rather hard to get a glimpse anywhere before turn 3 and even that short stretch is a pain, especially with a dullish display like traqmate (when you always forget to turn on the backlight and there are shadows), takes too much attention.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you change the timing point to a less busy part of the track? When you set your start/finish with Aim products, you can select either the official start/finish or your own timing point.
This would be rather like checking your gauges; choose a calm part of the track.
If there is one, that is.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you guys can tell me if this isa good fit. i use the AIM Pista MXL dash and SmaryCam(GPS) on a few cars. works great. love love it for its simplicity. whil ei dig motec, in a few areas, its too complex, and in the area of track mapping and GPS timing, AIM is just better, more simple and more accurate, i believe. (couldbe wrong, but thats my analysis having used both).

i like the aim as you do the "SET START BEACON" when you get to wher eyou'd like to have a 'start' of a timing loop for the lap. as noted herein, i always use the exit curbing of a nice straight away wher ei have the straight away to glance down. 8 to 10seconds hold time lets me see it and get focused on the approaching brake zone.

i also use "3 segmnet" setups. in the dash you can configure to set 3 point (start, segment-end-1, segment-end2). and the first time on any track i set my own 3 points during a first recon lap and then you're golden forever thereafter. i have never used the preconfigured points in the AIM. as some have pointed out, for some reason, sometimes they arent right and some of the start finish lines are too close to turn 1, no time to glance down.
so i do my own.

so my question is...for my car that is motec driven where i usually use the hard beacon on the pitwall...can i put in the Solo? will it allow me to drive around and press a button t oset my own determined start/finish? can i set more than 1 segment? and, is there some antenae that i can use so i can mount it not in the window area, and yet still get reception?

anyone got some experience with this thing?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hold Lap time

SoClose (Kim?)

I just pulled a Solo out of the box and wow, you can set the unit to hold the lap time to whatever you want. I set it at 40 sec
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

akirasan

SOLO should have recognized the coordinates of Infineon. Did you only load a couple tracks? I always load all US tracks. AIM searches for start/finish coordinates within a few miles so it should have found it., even though you call it Sears Point
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default SOLO Lap Data

One of the new SOLO owners has shared data. It is impressive what this unit will do. This graph is a comparison of two laps back to back at Summit Point. Following that are my comments to him on what the data showed me.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
cometb
Intermediate

Default MSR -Cresson

I am totally ignorant on these types of electronics. So, please excuse the next two stupid questions:

1) Can the AIM be integrated with my GoPRO HD; and

2) Can you program in Motorsports Ranch - Cresson, Texas?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
SoClose (Kim?)

I just pulled a Solo out of the box and wow, you can set the unit to hold the lap time to whatever you want. I set it at 40 sec
Not Kim- she's got all of that fancy Motec stuff and spends all of her time out of the car in front of the laptop. I'm the opposite so I suppose that I need to learn to look at the timer sooner.
From what I see, this AIM unit is a very good deal. It may be too late but will see if I can return the Starlane and get the AIM. Thanks-
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
akirasan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cometb
I am totally ignorant on these types of electronics. So, please excuse the next two stupid questions:

1) Can the AIM be integrated with my GoPRO HD; and

2) Can you program in Motorsports Ranch - Cresson, Texas?

Thanks
You'd need something like RaceRender2 and do your own syncing. Grab a copy of the GPS Manager from AIM to see all the tracks they have - Motorsport Ranch is there w/beacon, no track map.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Default Another question

Thanks but another dumb question. So it will work with the beacon at MSR but not the GPS mode?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by cometb
Thanks but another dumb question. So it will work with the beacon at MSR but not the GPS mode?
It's a GPS unit, not a unit that uses a beacon.

Scott
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM
edwin814
Racer

Read about this in other forums as well. As others mentioned, looks promising and cheaper the Trackmate Complete. However can someone confirm if Solo DL will work with 997 mk2 GT3RS? I don't see it listed in the list of ECUs supported by AiM Protocols

http://aim-sportline.com/pages/downl...cu_porsche.htm
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Edwin814

I believe the 997 MK2 RS uses the Seimens ECU. I have been able to get data out of the OBD connector on other 997's using that ECU.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Edwin814

I believe the 997 MK2 RS uses the Seimens ECU. I have been able to get data out of the OBD connector on other 997's using that ECU.
Pretty sure Jerry is on the money. The answer is yes.

Follow the protocol for "EMS SDI 3.1 SIEMENS"

Man, RS2 is getting pretty good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399