Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race cars without windshield wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Race cars without windshield wipers?

I just bought a Spec Boxster and, while it is a really nice build, the windshield wipers and motor have been completely removed. Is it even possible to race in the rain without wipers? I've read that some cars rely exclusively on RainX and others with Lexan windshields don't have wipers due to potential scratching problems. I couldn't imagine going without them in the rain, but is it possible some cars race safely in the wet without them?

Last edited by longhorn911; 08-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would advise against racing without wipers. I pull mine off and on as they block visibility in the dry but are a necessity in the rain.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't know what the rules are for spec boxes but a nicely scrubbed windscreen with rainx properly applied sheds rain drops like nobodies business. Giant splashes and spray from other cars could be a bit scary.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

there are wiper blade setups deisgned for race cars so you can park the blade stright up and down. aoerdynaics is important but yo ucan remove the blade if its a sunny day. if its mixed, you'll win the race with a blade versus someone who is going 9/10ths in the rrain because he isnt sure if he can see well enough.

i had a spec boxster from james patrick spec'd that very same way. i put on a blade right away, and just removed it as the weather warranted.
Originally Posted by longhorn911
I just bought a Spec Boxster and, while it is a really nice build, the windshield wipers and motor have been completely removed. Is it possible (or even advisable) to race in the rain without wipers? I've read that some cars rely exclusively on RainX and others with Lexan windshields don't have wipers due to potential scratching problems. I would think I need wipers to race in the rain, but is it possible some cars race safely in the wet without them?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Even with rainx I would not race w/o wipers. The spray and splash from other cars is just too much.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Even with rainx I would not race w/o wipers. The spray and splash from other cars is just too much.
+1

that being said, on most of these cars its only 1 bolt to install the wipers so you can just leave them off unless it the weather looks bad
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
there are wiper blade setups deisgned for race cars so you can park the blade stright up and down. aoerdynaics is important but yo ucan remove the blade if its a sunny day. if its mixed, you'll win the race with a blade versus someone who is going 9/10ths in the rrain because he isnt sure if he can see well enough.

i had a spec boxster from james patrick spec'd that very same way. i put on a blade right away, and just removed it as the weather warranted.
This is how my SPB is set up. It uses 996 Cup car cowling and wiper arm.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For my 944 spec I use a stock glass windshield. In the wet I use 1 wiper only and rain-X. I remove it for the dry most of the time. In mixed conditions I will put it on and park in the up position. I do that since my wiper runs on toggle switch rather than the normal control stalk. I runs 1 speed and is simple on/off. So just flip the switch OFF when it reachings the top of the travel. This keeps it up. If it is in the normal position I have trouble seeing over it.

I know a number of 944 spec guys that just use rain-x. I prefer the single wiper however.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Longhorn911 --- It never rains here anymore --

that said my $500 Spec Krap Can has them :-) but my RSR doesn't (yet).

Last race I found they're useful when someone in front decides to douse you with dirt/dust :-)

Mike
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim - where did you get the cup car wiper parts - do you have P/Ns? Does it use the stock boxster motor?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

rainX before the windshield gets wet . no wipers needed , only if you go real slow (pace car laps). at speed, rainX is amazing. no problem. probaby better than wipers actually, even in a downpour.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by longhorn911
Tim - where did you get the cup car wiper parts - do you have P/Ns? Does it use the stock boxster motor?
Yes
Here is Kyle Dolbow's Spec Boxster. Same set-up.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM
JBreckeen
Rennlist Member

FWIW:

I use Rain-X and no wipers.

When we first got the car, it's windscreen was pretty banged up - years of following cars too close. The Rain-x cleared the water pretty well, but you could see the pitting was not helping. I then put on a new windscreen, and with Rain-X it is awesome. Even the morning dew will not even stick to it!

Now, keep in mind we are in Florida, and when it rains, it POURS! It might not be the same with all day mist . . .
Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default tear offs

here is what i do on our race cars.

i have James from Tear off Guys...he puts on 2 tear off layers a base laery and 2 tear offs. i use a wiper and it works just fine. i never really get scoring, but when if i do, i jus ttake off a tearoffs. 3 tearoffs runs about 150bucks.
also protects against dings and nicks and stones and minimizes chances of being DQ'd due to a crack in teh windshield.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

wipers are not nearly as important as an interior defroster.

does anyone have a good solution once the defroster plumbing has been gutted?
(i've used rainX anti-fog, with 'Fair' results)

Quick Reply: Race cars without windshield wipers?