Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help and rec's for a tire rack for my new enclosed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help and rec's for a tire rack for my new enclosed.

Need advice on a tire rack for inside my trailer?

Anyone have any?

Im leaning towards a fold up so I dont smash my head on it all the time, but im worried about strength and the rack breaking or coming loose and hitting my car.

http://www.pitproducts.com/6sptira.html

http://www.pitproducts.com/8sptira.html
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thier 4' sportsman model, never fold it up, its up front to one side, thinking of getting a second one to go in the back other side to help balance the weight. Now I would just put some padding on the corners just incase you bump into it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll post up this eve or tmrw after mine arrive...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Buddy of mine showed me his shoring beams years ago and for me its the way to go. Install track on each longitudinal side of trailer then clip in beams spaced so tires sit in them. Measure to ensure top.wing clears and you are good to go. Best part is that when you are not hauling simply unclip beams and you have full open space. Add beams as needed. I carry 4-sets no issues. Old image below
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Install track on each longitudinal side of trailer

Regarding track.

I spoke with ATC a few weeks ago about mounting track in mine (28' ATC aluminum trailer). They highly recommend drilling through the 1 1/2" studs to the exterior and bolting through, despite the appearance issues. (They use rivnuts, but...).

I did so and am happy that I have no concerns whatsoever; used 1/4" SS bolts and fender washers outside and nylocks inside. They look fine and really do not alter the looks of the rig at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
Buddy of mine showed me his shoring beams years ago and for me its the way to go. Install track on each longitudinal side of trailer then clip in beams spaced so tires sit in them. Measure to ensure top.wing clears and you are good to go. Best part is that when you are not hauling simply unclip beams and you have full open space. Add beams as needed. I carry 4-sets no issues. Old image below
I use a very similar setup, but I'm cheap so I use 2x4" lumber for the beams. I can fit 8 wheels on each rack.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Need advice on a tire rack for inside my trailer?

Anyone have any?

Im leaning towards a fold up so I dont smash my head on it all the time, but im worried about strength and the rack breaking or coming loose and hitting my car.

http://www.pitproducts.com/6sptira.html

http://www.pitproducts.com/8sptira.html
mobonic,

When I was looking for a tire rack for my enclosed trailer, the Pit Products Sportsman rack is the one that got the highest recommendations. I recently installed a 68" model in my enclosed trailer and it seems like a well made product. Here is a photo of it installed in my trailer:

I modified the rack a bit though. I shortened the horizontal supports coming out from the wall by 4 inches or so. The tire diameter I am running didn't need the those supports to stick out so far.

As you can see, I installed the rack over the passenger side trailer wheel well. My wife's stock 997 fits in the trailer just fine the way I have it setup. There is no danger of the car to wheel rack contact. I could have installed the wheel rack up in front of the trailer on the driver side, but I preferred using the space over the passenger side wheel well.

Good luck!!

Scott
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Thanks guys, there is also a local track friend that owns a metal fab shop and would make me a badass custom one out of aluminum for $400

Looks like I may go that route.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Like KiaB stated, I through bolted the tops on mine, made an aluminum square plate inch or so square on the outside, its right up next to the roof line you hardly even notice them.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am installing the cross beams ala VERBOTN. Prefer that setup to having the wheel weight way up high on one side only.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I did the cross beam and e-track on mine, but mounted it in the front. 8 tires fit, good balance, easily removed, but rarely do. No problems, no need to bolt through to outside with etrack. Many ways to skin a cat...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

One added benefit of the shoring beams is that you can string up a hammock and take a nap
Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
Where do you get the alum beams?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 8' PitProducts installed in my trailer. Its basically 2 4-footers, which share a single support in the middle. Quality of the materials is very good, and pieces are marked/etched to assist with installation. I installed mine and was able to line it up so each of the 3 supports makes contact with a verticle metal beam on the trailer's walls. Very solid and secure. I also replaced some of the nuts with wing nuts, so that I can easily unbolt to fold against the wall without any tools.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Thanks for the input guys.. I might just go with the pit products one and save some $$$

Quick Reply: Need help and rec's for a tire rack for my new enclosed.