E Boxster, WTF is Porsche doing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
What will make this a Porsche is what makes all models Porsche.
It will be the most kick-*** car in its class, and will be fun to drive.
They're staying ahead of the curve, pushing innovation.
We all freaked when they were developing an SUV, now it's their best selling car.
Some of us are still freaked out..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
You need to read the article in the latest Autoweek. The car has an electronic "audio" system that supposedly replicates the gas motor's exhaust note quite well.

IMHO, the electro technology is finally beginning to bud. I'm guessing the best is yet to come.
Like this I hope

Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if they will make a major break-through and develop a battery that holds about of 10 times more joice than current Li-ion battery then it will be an electric car age, if they will give about of 400 miles of drive on one charge and 5 years at least for battery to live.

I travel a lot with my laptop and battery in it lives 1.5-2 years top, then it goes south. same will be with any massed produced li-ion in the car, no matter what PR says.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't you guys know? Electricity is magic. It comes out of the walls of your home, and it has absolutely no environmental impact. It's just there.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I just got an email from Porsche News about them seriously building an all electric Boxster. I wonder what they are thinking? Is this going to become a necessity for all sports car builders? It may be interesting from a power aspect, but for me one of the main attractions of driving a Porsche is having that awesomely unique sounding motor behind me, pushing away. I kind of liked Corvairs for that same reason. I don't see the attraction of driving a Porsche that sounds like an indoor go kart.
And just for you Larry, we have the Soundracer !

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Or this:

http://www.wimp.com/slideguitar/
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by onefastviking
And just for you Larry, we have the Soundracer !
Kind of seems like smothering Tofu in fish sauce and pretending that you are eating Lobster.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe they'll even let us race them on Sundays at Lime Rock!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Don't you guys know? Electricity is magic. It comes out of the walls of your home, and it has absolutely no environmental impact. It's just there.
To be realistic, if government will consider spending money on it instead of giving it away to their 'sponsors' on wall street - there is whole central Canada worth of space and with modern carbon wires it is quite possible to feed it all back here. trillions of $ were spent over much less important crap and it all got dissolved.

Makes me wonder how was it possible back then to build all those wonderful highways, bridges, etc. stuff which now is 'impossible' even to maintain. or is it because each shoe polisher entitled to 1mln mansion with free mortgage he does not have to make any payments for? literally, in the condo complex my in-laws live a family on top of them stopped paying mortgage more than an year ago and they still live there. it makes me wonder why do i still make all my payments on classic 30 year fixed for our primary house and other property we own. why not just stop paying as 'smart' people do?

Company my wife works for went over change of ownership. They did not pay for YEAR worth of rent on 6 or 14 locations they have. No one pays for anything. I guess best reaction to Washington circus would be if whole country, we all just stop paying for anything at once. That would be just one great thing to do considering that some people became 'smart' and others must keep pulling all this crap further along for some reason.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The extended range Volt and others like it will be the way forward. All electric vehicles will be a small niche even 20 years from now. The electrical grid can barely deal with all the A/C running on these long, hot days, let alone deal with millions of all electric vehicles charging overnight. Hybrids and extended range electrics will carry the bulk of the load going forward along with more efficient internal combustion engines. Porsche has no choice but to join in so it's not left behind with new, more stringent CAFE regs coming. However, I'm sure Porsche is up to task in keeping the hard core sporting nature of its brand. The Panamera is basically a four door 911 even in hybrid form.

------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Kind of seems like smothering Tofu in fish sauce and pretending that you are eating Lobster.
Yes I agree, but you said you wanted the sound so I was just trying to help make it better.
You know the unfortunate part is that many current P-car owners would probably be happy with the sound racer and an electric car.

I miss the days when the only people that drove Porsche's were the purists. They were raw and offered a different experience, I am sure you understand.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 819 Posts

this
Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I 'll buy you a smoothie.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should mention the Corvair...its demise was the first blow in this long and painful emasculation of the auto industry. Or maybe that's why you mentioned it. I'm a little slow on the uptake.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

...but I guess that I am wondering what will make this "a Porsche" and truely differentiate itself from other maker's "E" cars?
The badge.

PAG has been left outside by VAG.
They are on their own to meet their avg fuel economy standards. They do not have access to smaller cars (like other manufacturers) to help shift the curve.
So, they develop hybrids and now electrics.
Marketing will develop new acronyms and then follow the same Dr. W. script.

Quick Reply: E Boxster, WTF is Porsche doing?