Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

james, you should give mark raufoff or jeff smallwood a call and see their take on it, and perhaps they would permit one into the field.
i agree with you wholeheartedly that the GT3 is more the competitor to a BMW M3 than a C2S though not too much differentiates them.
i think they are concerned with that which they dont know.
with the mustangs and camaro they are built pretty much by one shop and there is a certain sense that noone will show up to a gun fight with a bazooka.
there WERE maybe like 4,5 porsche knowledgebases in that paddock...the bgb guys, RSR, etc. and then some one off squads like my squad (trade manage racing), and Berg Racing and Prey, etc.

we put together a 2009 C2S. had a nice motor. but g/a would not permit very much at all. we had to ask again and again for aftermarket headers as the required factory headers sat 3/4 inch below the oil pan. after we destroyed 2 sets of factory headers, and suffered an extra 3/4 inch ride height, we finally got them to agree. plus then we got a bosch abs unit approved.
and thats it. no flywheel, nothing outside those two items.
meanwhile the fords, bmws and camaros have a laundry list of items.
ultimately, i think they do not want a one-off car team with one gt3 coming in and beating a squadron of bmws or camaros. that hurts their business model. camaro renters will run to the gt3s/c2ss. if a one off Trade Manage or GMG GT3 /C2S beats a highly experienced grand am team like Fall Line or Multimatic/Stevenson, they risk those guys participating, their renters renting, etc.

but im with you, i think a gt3 or well developed C2S could perform really well if they give us some more stuff needed. without it, get in line for a camaro or mustang,both of which, fwiw, drive awsome.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

What would be so great about running a GT3, is that you don't have to build motors, balance components and build specialty parts. You could almost run this car as delivered and it would be pretty competitive.

The engine is dry sumped and the gearbox is so much stronger than the 997S, so it could withstand so much more abuse.
I actually think it would be cheaper to build and race a GT3 over the season than it would be for 997S.

But I don't see it happening with GA but if they did, they could just give it a high weight and see how it goes.
I am sure Mark at FallLine would want to build some GT3's as well and we would too. GMG and FL could compete against Turner and Bimmerworld.....would make some good racing but I see how strong the Camaros and Mustangs are right now so maybe we would be fighting for 3rd.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Fred,
saw the race today. other than your first lap boo boo, that was some good running. i saw on one of the restarts you were quite the gentlemen to let those mustangs, bmws and camaros go on by considering you were not on the lead lap. someone unfamiliar with endurance racing might not have realized what a difficult thing it is to give up any position at any time, and to do so without getting yoruself in a bad position or damaged, but you did a great job.

whats amazing is how very small the cayman looks in comparison to those gorilla camaros.

tough break on lap 1, but other than that, great stuff.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Steven,

I just watched it, was at the beach all weekend. I am still beating myself up, and will do so for a while, because of my off at T1 on lap 2. Indeed I didn't want to interfere with the outcome at the front (despite the tap on Seth's rear bumper which speed seemed happy to chat about...). As I mentioned before we had the pace to finish on the lead lap. I screwed up on lap 2 and we had to spend the rest of the race driving in the dangerous neighborhoods of the city... Lesson learned big time.

Just a little (not 20 percent more.. just 8 to 12% more...) oumpf out of turns would be terrific for the Cayman. Its relative small size (aka low weight) is definitely obvious, but that is as much of plus as it is a minus... a minus when impact happens with big American "Panzer Tank" iron.

The hit on 15 from 62 was UGLY.

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Fred,
saw the race today. other than your first lap boo boo, that was some good running. i saw on one of the restarts you were quite the gentlemen to let those mustangs, bmws and camaros go on by considering you were not on the lead lap. someone unfamiliar with endurance racing might not have realized what a difficult thing it is to give up any position at any time, and to do so without getting yoruself in a bad position or damaged, but you did a great job.

whats amazing is how very small the cayman looks in comparison to those gorilla camaros.

tough break on lap 1, but other than that, great stuff.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Were you at Mosport this weekend ? I saw a nice car looking like yours down there. It was there Friday and Saturday but didn't see it today.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:48 PM
FredC
Drifting

I wasn't. Used to be mine though. Bonne semaine.
Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Were you at Mosport this weekend ? I saw a nice car looking like yours down there. It was there Friday and Saturday but didn't see it today.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FredC
I wasn't. Used to be mine though. Bonne semaine.
OK Thanks.

It looked great.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

GA is too scared of the GT3. They'll never let it in. Though if they did there'd be no risk of a one car team coming in and taking the title. If they allowed it there'd be 12-15 GT3s out there every weekend. I think we'd see BGB, TRG, GMG, Magnus, and several other teams fielding 2 or 3 car teams. Hell, Kinetic might even come back to racing Porsches.

But keep your eyes on the Mid-Ohio entry list. I'm not naming names or giving up any details, but there's going to be at least one new previously unseen Porsche in GS for the season finale.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the fear is Porsche would dominate and the "others" would bolt!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

I think a new 3.8l "S" would be a very good GS car but it would be awful expensive to build considering the base car would be 75K plus. Its hard to justify when you can buy a used GS mustang or Camaro for 75K. As stated before, the little caymen just doesn't have the power it needs to race well. It is capable of running competitive laps by itself but in a racing situation it simply will get beat on and abused by the big hp cars. I have heard some rear wheel hp numbers of the M3, Camaro, and Caymen. The Caymen makes very good power for a 3.4 but its hard to make up such a big difference. This is why we are building a Boxster to race in the ST class.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

It was nice of Baron to fix that big dent in the front bumper for you.

Do you have all aluminum radiators on the Cayman like BGB uses, or are they the stock plastic ones?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by flatsics
It was nice of Baron to fix that big dent in the front bumper for you.

Do you have all aluminum radiators on the Cayman like BGB uses, or are they the stock plastic ones?
Not sure what we got. All I know is that it wasn't Baron's fault.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it was Baron's fault.

On Speed they just showed Baron stopped in the middle of the track with the bumper off and radiator busted.

That was a tough race.

BGB motorsports has all aluminum rads made and they are much tougher than stock.

Here is a video that talks about them:
Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Palmer Clingman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred great job . Palmer

Quick Reply: FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?