Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Seth,

I think James had floor seats to my off on lap 2. He's the one I was guarding against in the brake zone. Part of learning.

Thanks for the note and I hope we get to meet some time.

Fred

Ps: your cars look awesome!

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Great run out there Fred. I was behind the car for a lap or two in the race and it did look good. Glad to see you had a good time running in one of the best and most competitive racing series out there. Sorry we didn't meet up but with the heat I didn't do much wondering around the paddock.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Fred you suck.
I hate you--- well maybe hate is a strong word---no I think hate will work.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
tmark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred,

Great job by you and Baron at NJ in one of the most competitive series in the US.

Hope to see you again at VIR.

-Mark
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Fantastic effort and great, honest write up Fred! If I know you you will mentally re-race this about 8000 times and will have a good strategy for the next one.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GS at NJMP

FYI this race will air Jul 30, 3:00 PM ET, on SPEED. I'll be at Mosport but will watch it a couple times when I return.

We learned a ton at NJMP. We proved that the car can run with most of the GS pack, finally. It was so damn hot at NJMP, we probably set a record for the hottest coolant temp. Dan said we used 200 pounds of ice Thursday; we had 3 PCA Club Race cars in addition to the GS car. Can't wait to do the next race with Dan, Fred and Baron.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done guys. Fred, appreciate the insight. I'm strongly considering taking the leap and doing a few Conti races next year.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Fred, thanks for sharing the experience.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 606 Likes on 270 Posts

I have been very impressed by the speed of the yellow Cayman that the Jacobs and Noble are supporting. They have hit the ground running fast in our series as I have paid close attention to the car. I watched it hang with some Camaros in the heat of battle and it has some pretty awesome trap speed. I hope to see them at Mid Ohio. We need all of the help we can get. They are getting dialed in and strong results will come from them with that car.

John
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And P.S.... This series is supposed to be an inviting place for PCA guys that are looking for the next step as a barometer as to how they're progressing. And the only only only thing that will keep that alive is people continually standing up to fight for the fact that there MUST BE a competitive Porsche in a north american street stock series, or else NONE OF YOU will ever want to come out. PERIOD!

I think Fred did an awesome job of showing you guys that you can come and run up here and when the rules situation gets fixed, it won't just be NJMP, Mid Ohio and the Auto X at Giants Stadium that are competitive venues for the Porsche. Daytona used to be a Porsche track and it will be again in 2012! Fingers crossed! Trying to fix the situation from within before it drives me to the front door of the nut house!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
And P.S.... This series is supposed to be an inviting place for PCA guys that are looking for the next step as a barometer as to how they're progressing.
This may be true but I saw an awful lot of guys who look like they are 18-25 years old in driver's suits at the race. Most of us PCA guys are old farts
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by good hands
This may be true but I saw an awful lot of guys who look like they are 18-25 years old in driver's suits at the race. Most of us PCA guys are old farts
Those are just the kids that have "off-balance sheet financing" being funded by their "sponsors" ehem ehem. Trust me. I don't want to disclose the age of my two favorite Porsche veterans David Murry and Craig Stanton but until those 18-25 year olds are faster than those guys, while you see 18-25, I see green people with race craft development written on their new Sparco suits.

Trust me. Look at the SCCA class I run in. Spec Racer Ford. Sure there are some fast young guys but the front runners are all 35 + and that's the hardest class at the amateur level in north america. It's all about seat time and repetition.

Just my $.02.

John
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

The Caymans just need more a little more grunt coming out of corners to compete at the front. Can't win any drag race with it in its current state. The moment you lose momentum, you're skunked out of the corner and have to redo the hard work again. The Camaros and Mustangs we were hustling in the race were driven by folks who forgot about gaining enough experience (or with little skill) prior to making the jump to Conti... What rule changes are you asking for?

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have been very impressed by the speed of the yellow Cayman that the Jacobs and Noble are supporting. They have hit the ground running fast in our series as I have paid close attention to the car. I watched it hang with some Camaros in the heat of battle and it has some pretty awesome trap speed. I hope to see them at Mid Ohio. We need all of the help we can get. They are getting dialed in and strong results will come from them with that car.

John

Last edited by FredC; 07-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Very excited to hear about Mid O. It was great fun to have someone to root for out there!

PS: Tell Dan to get some a/c in that rig
Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred an excellent write up and greatly appreciated! You, Baron, and the entire Noble Team of Dan Jacobs did a great job this weekend! Congratulations!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
The Caymans just need more a little more grunt coming out of corners to compete at the front. Can't win any drag race with it in its current state. The moment you lose momentum, you're skunked out of the corner and have to redo the hard work again. The Camaros and Mustangs we were hustling in the race were driven by folks who forgot about gaining enough experience (or with little skill) prior to making the jump to Conti... What rule changes are you asking for?
An alternative final drive. GA has taken an "it's got to be a production piece before we'll approve it" approach. I've got the ring and pinions being cut as we speak. Once I have them in hand, GA will let us put them in a car and test them and then give the final thumbs up or thumbs down. Right now, we're cautiously optimistic.

Quick Reply: FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?