Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That will definitely help the 3.4 car get off the corner. Will the ST guys also get to benefit in the 987?

Originally Posted by GTgears
An alternative final drive. GA has taken an "it's got to be a production piece before we'll approve it" approach. I've got the ring and pinions being cut as we speak. Once I have them in hand, GA will let us put them in a car and test them and then give the final thumbs up or thumbs down. Right now, we're cautiously optimistic.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job Fred. I've seen Baron drive, and the two of you make a great combo.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
That will definitely help the 3.4 car get off the corner. Will the ST guys also get to benefit in the 987?
You mean the Boxsters? I highly doubt it. Those cars are competitive as it is. Deman put one on the outside pole at Daytona. If it weren't for a pit snafu Trade Manage might have been on the podium at NJMP. And GA officials were snooping around the paddock area asking how big the engine in the Boxsters were supposed to be because I think they were surprised by where Trade Manage was running in that race.

Most of the 987 Boxsters already run the 986 6spd gearbox. It's got shorter gears than the 987 6spd. I don't expect that the rule makers are going to alter the allowed ratios a class down IF they allow it in GS.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
An alternative final drive. GA has taken an "it's got to be a production piece before we'll approve it" approach. I've got the ring and pinions being cut as we speak. Once I have them in hand, GA will let us put them in a car and test them and then give the final thumbs up or thumbs down. Right now, we're cautiously optimistic.
thats funny stuff. maybe GA ought to tak ea peak at the mustangs and camaro which probably, when done, have very little chevy and ford original stuff within. ive heard ford guys are all running new gearing, and modded trans.
the subaru...forget abou tit. nissan...same thing.
you'd think after watching cayman after cayman, with great drivers in it, get swamped over and over, would give the car either a bigger weight reduction, or allow something aftermarket to give it a bit more torque.

HP is nice, but torque wins these races. and unfortunately, the cayman doesn not have the pop to go out of the corner with a mustang, camaro or bmw.
even with the most amazing driver. someone who cant drive slows u up in the turn, you have to break , then its who has the umph.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
HP is nice, but torque wins these races.
This is correct...but certain people here will disagree with this truism.

Fred, congrats again! And I agree with your assessments....
Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

thats funny stuff. maybe GA ought to tak ea peak at the mustangs and camaro which probably, when done, have very little chevy and ford original stuff within. ive heard ford guys are all running new gearing, and modded trans.
you'd think after watching cayman after cayman, with great drivers in it, get swamped over and over, would give the car either a bigger weight reduction, or allow something aftermarket to give it a bit more torque.

HP is nice, but torque wins these races. and unfortunately, the cayman doesn not have the pop to go out of the corner with a mustang, camaro or bmw.
even with the most amazing driver. someone who cant drive slows u up in the turn, you have to break , then its who has the umph.
I remarked about this to a couple of people over the weekend. I think it would really level the playing field a bit if they forced the Mustangs and Camaros to run the 20" wheelsize they come from the factory with instead of the 18's they use in racing. That alone would change their final drive by somewhere between 5 and 8%. The 18's make those cars faster.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
dmundy
Intermediate

The Camaro is pretty much a "spec" car which can either be purchased from Reilly or buit to match Rielly's spec. The Mustang you buy from Ford and pretty much is also a spec car. As far as I know the others are more open.

Every car has pro's and cons. Personally I have been shocked at how close the Camaro is to stock.

I'd suggest walking through the paddock and looking at the teams. The worst GS team is doing a very good job of car prep and the back of the pack drivers are pretty competitive club guys. It's a very deep field.

I look forward to meeting Fred at Mid O.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmundy
The Camaro is pretty much a "spec" car which can either be purchased from Reilly or buit to match Rielly's spec. The Mustang you buy from Ford and pretty much is also a spec car. As far as I know the others are more open.

Every car has pro's and cons. Personally I have been shocked at how close the Camaro is to stock.

I'd suggest walking through the paddock and looking at the teams. The worst GS team is doing a very good job of car prep and the back of the pack drivers are pretty competitive club guys. It's a very deep field.

I look forward to meeting Fred at Mid O.

For those that don't know, dmundy currently drives a Camaro in Conti so that is pretty valid input from him.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job, Fred and Baron. My jealousy is still off the charts.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Atta boy Fred................
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
FYI this race will air Jul 30, 3:00 PM ET, on SPEED. I'll be at Mosport but will watch it a couple times when I return.

We learned a ton at NJMP. We proved that the car can run with most of the GS pack, finally. It was so damn hot at NJMP, we probably set a record for the hottest coolant temp. Dan said we used 200 pounds of ice Thursday; we had 3 PCA Club Race cars in addition to the GS car. Can't wait to do the next race with Dan, Fred and Baron.
Jerry - any idea on a re-run of this? I had it set to record and they came and replaced my cable DVR this week.....
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Great job, Fred and Baron. My jealousy is still off the charts.
So WTF are you waiting for???
Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
So WTF are you waiting for???
I've had the pleasure (or displeasure depending on the outlook) of running with C.B. and he could hop in any car and run with the best...

Just my humble opinion of course.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

It's too bad Grand Am doesn't allow the 997 GT3 to run in GS, it's a direct competitor to the M3......drop a cage in the car as it's close to the weight it would run. I would think GA would see 8-10 of these cars within a few months!

Tecce would love to run GT3's........right John?

I remember driving one of BGB's 997's at Miller and you have to drive that car, or any Porsche in GS, 100% at the limit just to keep up with the V8's....which can be driven 80% in the corners and you still couldn't get a run out of a corner.

I know I have 3 clients right now with GT3's that would convert their car to GS specs if it was allowed in the series.

Maybe I'm dreaming but just think about how many drivers in these cars are looking for a place to play with them.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

I guess it's pretty simple - if nobody else ends up being competitive all will end up in a V8 car of some sort. I'm guessing BMW torque is nowhere near the American V8s, right? I haven't seen BMW win any races recently, although they are still running towards the front.

Quick Reply: FredC... what did you think of Conti GS?