Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any seats open?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a nationally competitive SM will run you $30-$40k depending on where you get it, thats the harsh reality.

Better route through mazdaspeed is the build an MX5 cup car and run the playboy series. if you win that championship then they put you in a "professional series" seat for a year. Honestly, it's probably cheaper to go the MX5 cup route than drop tens of thousands into a SM only to be beaten by people whose shops can cheat slightly better than yours without getting caught.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM
dp35
Pro

I race Spec Miata & finished 2nd at the NASA National Championship last year. Many of the numbers in this thread are a bit inflated, although not by much if we're talking about an attempt at a national championship. Keep in mind that SCCA SM is probably the most difficult amateur championship to win.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Another series a number of people use as a feeder series to "cost effectively" gain the skills to become a pro is the TDI Jetta Cup. A number of the current Grand Am ST and GS class "pros" got their start there.
Tdi cup is dead. Cars sold off
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
I race Spec Miata & finished 2nd at the NASA National Championship last year. Many of the numbers in this thread are a bit inflated, although not by much if we're talking about an attempt at a national championship. Keep in mind that SCCA SM is probably the most difficult amateur championship to win.

About what does a full run to the NASA Nationals cost? All in.

Car build plus updates, consumables, spares, extra engine, suspension, mechanical work for set-up, travel, pit crews, etc tires, oil, track days, practice days, etc.

The reason I ask is I have a pretty good idea from my campaigns in motorcycle racing - but my son wants to run a Spec car, and I may do the same.

For the OP you will be ahead if you already have a truck and a trailer. I had donsized my truck and trailer and now looking to go the other way again. That can be $50,000 right there.

Congrats on the P2 finish. Did you get any bigger ride pro offers after that result from Mazda, or from another group, in the form of having a full paid ride, and/or getting paid to race?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by TexasRider
About what does a full run to the NASA Nationals cost? All in.

Car build plus updates, consumables, spares, extra engine, suspension, mechanical work for set-up, travel, pit crews, etc tires, oil, track days, practice days, etc.
If you're capable of doing most of the work yourself (which you would have to be IMO), I'd guess around $50K. This assumes that you're able to spend wisely, buy a good used car, and that your first year budget doesn't have to include essentials like a truck, trailer, tools, driver's safety gear, a garage to store & work on the car in, etc. If you buy the best car from the best builder, or a used championship car, and hire someone to do 100% of the work, then you'll certainly spend way more. The same way they use every inch of the race track & rule book, top caliber racers also make the most of whatever assets they have.

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Congrats on the P2 finish. Did you get any bigger ride pro offers after that result from Mazda, or from another group, in the form of having a full paid ride, and/or getting paid to race?
Haha I wish! Basically no. But I did win $5K from Mazda & Toyo, which helps. I also won Race Engineering's national SM rookie of the year, which got me a free pro engine.

I'm sure that this result along with others have helped me to get opportunities like this one:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...vir-w-vid.html
Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Thznks. Yeah I was right on top of the range in estimating the costs.

And now you just have to go back and P1 right .

Quick Reply: Any seats open?