Sponsored by:

BFG R1 - New Compound ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BFG R1 - New Compound ?s

A recent thread here alluded to a new compound for the R1 - new implying within the past year, not the re-introduction ca. 2007.

I have yet to read anything regarding this beyond the mentions here in RL.

Where is a definitive source beyond contacting the manufacturer (I'm on the road this week)?

Curious....
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

They did change the parts# on the tires this past winter, discontinuing the old number tires. No changes for the tire were mentioned in BFGs literature and Tire Rack was not informed of any changes other than the parts #. Thus, I bought the "old" tire at the reduced price.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

+1, I also bot a set of reduced price BFG's yesterday
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if it was my comments you are referring to. I purchased a couple of sets of R1 this spring through TreadZone.com as part of an annual group buy for our local racers. At the time they were not available through TireRack and supposedly discontinued. However when I called the TreadZone guys they told me the compound had been changed and thus the new part number.

That was my source for the info... you could follow up with them. So far I have about 18 cycles on one set and they are still grippy... matched the best lap times of my fellow 944 Cup guys running on the Hoosiers at Spokane this weekend.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try contacting BFG, their agent or have your race shop do so.

The guys at TireRack are completely in the dark or playing dumb. When we starting fishing at the end of last year they were not helpful but happy to sell inventoried R1's with 2008 manufacture dates.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
You can try contacting BFG, their agent or have your race shop do so.

The guys at TireRack are completely in the dark or playing dumb. When we starting fishing at the end of last year they were not helpful but happy to sell inventoried R1's with 2008 manufacture dates.
I did call BFG before I purchased mine questioning the change. The rep said they had received no notification that the tires characteristic or performance had been altered. They suggested that the product number change was likely done for an accounting/inventorying need.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess they're not in a hurry to get these on the street. Maybe they're trying to help resellers like TireRack clear out old inventory first.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I also spoke with BFG this AM. The rep was helpful to the extent of his knowledge and indicated that a new compound was indeed in the mix for 2011, but that he had no further information. This mirrors the conversations posted above.

He took my contact info and has forwarded it to tech; I expect a call within 24 hours and will report back here.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

There is indeed a new tire. Evidently sidewalls differ and the compound has been changed a bit; the tire is said to be (as mentioned above) more progressive at the limit.

Noone at BFG will mention availability or release...but.

Posts above are on the money.

Quick Reply: BFG R1 - New Compound ?s