Interesting look at F1 cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interesting look at F1 cars

Attachment 550084

Pretty interesting. Look at how much longer the Red Bull is compared to the rest...and how short the Mercedes is.

Also, a few different nose and rear wing designs... to me, its kind of obvious why the leaders are the leaders, just by this pic.

Last edited by m73m95; 01-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think it has more to do with their tight sidepod packaging. Granted the longer wheelbase will give a bit of an optical illusion and make it seem like there's more room ahead of the rear wheels (and to some extent there is more room because of the longer wheelbase), but just look how much tighter the waistline is of the RedBull compared to the rivals.

We all know RedBull also can get away with more rake in their car, which is partially why their flexi nose is so potent - the front wing is already the lowest. I think part of this is because of the added airflow between the rear wheels that keeps the diffuser air attached, allowing for more rake. The interesting bit though is that a longer wheelbase would even increase the amount of rake you need to achieve the same front wing height, so you would think that the Ferrari and Mercedes front wings should be on the ground if they could run RedBull rake levels.

Quick Reply: Interesting look at F1 cars