Sponsored by:

Setup Issue/Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Setup Issue/Question

I put Moton triples on my 993 over the winter and have had a chance to do a few track days with them. I could go on and on about how great they are but I am having one problem that I cannot seem to solve/eliminate. On track out, at WOT, the inside rear wheel feels like it is hopping. This primarily happens on right medium speed turns (60-80 MPH). It does not happen on every right hander, but, if you are familiar with Blackhawk and Road America, it happens in the carousel at Blackhawk and Turn 3 at RA - pretty much every time.

Some more info about my car - 600/900 springs, TRG sway bars, RS uprights, 60/40 LSD, 2.5 degrees of camber front, 2.0 camber rear, let me know if there is something else you might want.

I initially set the car up according to Lex at Moton and with the sway bars in a neutral setting. Once this "hopping" happened I went up two clicks on rear rebound and later softened the rear sway bar. Both of these seemed to help but not eliminate the problem. Before I just keep making changes I was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

By the way, even when this happens the car is still very stable and does not try to spin or any other crazy behavior.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

How old/what kind of LSD?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

It is about one and a half years old. I bought it from Guard. It is a rebuilt stock LSD using some of GT, stock and GT3 internals - at least that is what I understood from Matt at GT.

It is interesting you bring up the LSD as this is something I have thought about having checked to ensure it is operating properly.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like the LSD has let go or is on its way out. Do you notice any wiggling from the rear under threshold braking?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

@ John H - not in general, but some times. For instance, Turn 1 at RA, rear end is stable, Turn 8 and 12, sometimes the rear will wiggle. Turn 5 was very different - if I left the car in 5th gear, it would pull to the right (rather disconcerting going into that corner at that speed and having the car pull towards the barrier). But if I down shifted to 4th prior to threshold braking then the rear was stable.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm suspect of your LSD, I'd go there first.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I'm suspect of your LSD, I'd go there first.
Also my very first thought...

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am taking the car in tomorrow and, among other things, I will have them check the LSD.

Quick Reply: Setup Issue/Question