Any of You Drove a NASA CMC or Am Iron Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I just finished a 3 hour enduro tonight. About 24 gallons of fuel, 1/2 set of tires (easily good for another enduro). Same set of pads I've run all season - 5th weekend (still good).

2 CMCII cars entered. One blew it motor, the other wore brand new pads down to the backing plates, and popped the seals on the front calipers of his Wilwood brakes, resulting in a total loss of brakes - nearly ran over his pit crew!

The 21 gallon tank is a nice bonus for enduros!
Way to go on that . How did you place? And were you in the Spec?

I did go over and read some of the AI in the NASA forums. I was very surprised to see a bunch of snarling in the RM region over a lot of little things like ABS brakes and whether or not you constructed your own car To me great if you did and great if you didnt. I would have thought this is where the big boys run really as the rules seem more open there in AI.

And thank you very much for your help in this too.

And this nugget

"resulting in a total loss of brakes - nearly ran over his pit crew!"

Yikes !
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
How about a LSX swap into the 951 chassis? 'merican V8 power and Porsche handeling.

There are folks that do it . But it is not for me here. And who knows what class that runs but you are likely to be the only one.

Did I say Porsche PCA woud HATE that too LOL!

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:24 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/04/06/...vintage-racer/

But ultimately I am Jonesing for Vintage Racing in year or two

Sorry, but this was the first thing that popped into my feeble mind. I've been jonesing for this ride since the second I saw it. It is gorgrous in the flesh!!!
That would be a great one too. I was looking for a car with some heritage to it too.

I saw one last year. Of course this was just about the time my 951 was in full on re-do. It must always happen that way. So it went on and I went on this way.

But I am circling back.

I just got finished putting my son through 4 years of college. He started working a couple of weeks ago. So it's kinda of like I am getting a raise here.

He said "What can I get you for doing all that?" Hmmm.... I will show him that link. I better give him a little time though.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I've driven an 86 Fox and a 95 SN95. You had to be patient with the Fox when entering a corner and had to let the car lean over and take a set before you hit the go pedal, otherwise it would understeer. The SN95 turned much better. It turned better with a lot less body roll. Power was about the same since both had 302s with 4 barrels on them. Gotta love V8 torque. Both were fun to drive, but you had to manage the brakes since these cars had stock Cobra brakes on them. Porsche has spoiled me in the brake department. I am pretty sure the rules have been changed to allow a brake upgrade.

CMC is pretty popular over here in the Mid Atlantic Region of NASA so they always have a decent sized field. Plus the costs to get into a log booked car are very reasonable. I've seen decent cars needing a little TLC for $4-5K and really nice ones for $10-12K. The AI cars are higher since they have a lot more mods.
Thanks Mark. That is one of the reasons this hit me is that I saw some excellent cars for 10-12,000. And of course as I said our support in the area for Ford and Chevy is big.

Under it all I am a 951 guy for this type racing. I am just surpised at how I remember these cars. Man they seemed fast in 1986. Today my truck will almost accelerate with my 951. When I drive my wifes Infiniti M37 Sport it is amazing. Touch the gas it is instant and touch the brakes and it is instant. Well there is 26 years technolgy difference, but hey, this is PORSCHE we are talking about right.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
This is totally hearsay, but a friend of mine in SRF said that some of the cheapest V8 racing is in the SCCA SPO and GTA classes, which are late model stock cars (silouette space frame). Apparently, they're easy to work on, and components are cheap. I'mnot sure how big the regional fields would be.

http://v8stockcar.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Thank you Greg. I am only in one of these classes for a while anyway as I said. I am going to let all you real racers run these tough classes while I look at the Vintage racing. Besides I am getting vintage myself.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Back in 2000 when I first built my 944 NA I was worried about losing hp. I had been tracking a stock 944 turbo S. 230 hp to the rear wheels on the dyno. The car was powerful and nice to drive.

I love 944 spec because the cars have forced me to be good driver and allowed me to compete at the highest levels in the class on a modest budget. I have also made some really great friends that make so much more than just racing. Alot of guys in 944 spec have been in the class for years as many realize they cannot get much more fun at the track that in this class. Sure they can certainly find faster cars, but lower lap times don't always mean more fun. More money yes, but more fun?

Thank you for all you have contibuted here to this board and to others Joe. And for the guidance you have given me when I asked on my car now.

The starting point for problems in my case is that I got off on the wrong direction. As I was looking to run the Targa Newfoundland, and I did not have any closed course road racing in mind, I started with a different car in the 951. And being that the Targa is a 6 day over the road race with potholes and rain and a two person set up in the car it was all different. And now I am turning my attention to a diiferent type race.

Then the second biggie was of course as I have lamented as to our local Porsche race support. I just got here too late LOL!

Today out at Bumberas here in Houston, in Katy really, they have such a first class set up with dyno, chassic dyno, machine shop, welding and fab, etc. They just dont do much Porsche. I did ask one of the Porsche shops about some suspension work but they are really hung until mid- August. Soemthing I used tocould get done in less than a week. A day or two if in a hurry. You know what I mean.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I know they run some 944's in PCA but is not their favorite. I think the class here is mostly 993's are the most popular. I am darn sure they dont want the 951's up there as the rules for that stink. I mean deleting the AC or something is GT2 right away for my 951 I think. With a whopping 220 Hp. And higher again with a few Hp. But there are other parts of it that make me frown a bit.
Are you talking PCA rules? If so, you might want to check, again. You can take out all of the AC system and still be in E-stock (G. All air conditioning components may be removed. The heater core for water cooled cars with integrated air conditioning and heat systems may be removed). But more and more people seem to be moving to SP3, which allows you more mods, less weight, and more power. Basically same rules as 944 Super Cup. You can run aftermarket chips, and do more things to the engine. Gearing, tires, and brakes are all free. Turbo weight is 2900 pounds, as well. Also, must be a regional thing. There are gobs of 944's at the races in the south I've attended.

Another thing I saw mentioned is that for V8's, NASA is your only choice. NOt sure if SCCA still does it, and teh class is regional rather than national, but still very common. A friend of mine had an IT-E Fox body about 10 years ago up in Michigan. He ended up moving up to AI-X (but is now backing down to AI just to keep costs managable). But again, the SCCA is probably another choice.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:50 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Are you talking PCA rules? If so, you might want to check, again. You can take out all of the AC system and still be in E-stock (G. All air conditioning components may be removed. The heater core for water cooled cars with integrated air conditioning and heat systems may be removed). But more and more people seem to be moving to SP3, which allows you more mods, less weight, and more power. Basically same rules as 944 Super Cup. You can run aftermarket chips, and do more things to the engine. Gearing, tires, and brakes are all free. Turbo weight is 2900 pounds, as well. Also, must be a regional thing. There are gobs of 944's at the races in the south I've attended.

Another thing I saw mentioned is that for V8's, NASA is your only choice. NOt sure if SCCA still does it, and teh class is regional rather than national, but still very common. A friend of mine had an IT-E Fox body about 10 years ago up in Michigan. He ended up moving up to AI-X (but is now backing down to AI just to keep costs managable). But again, the SCCA is probably another choice.
I wil re-read that but I thought I read that AC delete was a boot up.

Hmmm... on that weight I hope that is with me in it too . You know they always say 10 lbs equals a horespower. In motorcycle racing we always had 2 or 3 lbs to a hp but we said 1 lb equals 1 hp !! Less to lift.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Greg. I am only in one of these classes for a while anyway as I said. I am going to let all you real racers run these tough classes while I look at the Vintage racing. Besides I am getting vintage myself.
I like the look/feel of vintage racing too. I'd love to drive a 1970 Fulmer Mustang!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go on that . How did you place? And were you in the Spec?

I did go over and read some of the AI in the NASA forums. I was very surprised to see a bunch of snarling in the RM region over a lot of little things like ABS brakes and whether or not you constructed your own car To me great if you did and great if you didnt. I would have thought this is where the big boys run really as the rules seem more open there in AI.

And thank you very much for your help in this too.

And this nugget

"resulting in a total loss of brakes - nearly ran over his pit crew!"

Yikes !
Worse yet, it was the car's owner that was flagging him into his pit stall. It would be embarrassing to be run over by your own car!

We took P1, but in reality we were the "tallest dwarf" - we had our share of problems, but the 95 degree heat took everyone in our small class out but us.

Bizarre stuff - aluminum "Aerocatch" hood pin spontaneously fractured in 1/2 on track. Unfortunately, I only run one hood pin. . Ran the last 1/3 of the enduro sans hood. Thank God for Lexan windshields!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Congrats on that P1. That is why it is an "enduro" right? Improved cooling on your car for a 1/3 . But at least you were not getting run over by your own car !

Please keep your eye out for a Spec, or a fun vintage car for me when you are out running and racing.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come out to TWS in Aug & hang out with the NASA group. Take a look at all the classes SM, AI, CMC & the GTS/ST group. There is great racing in all the groups you just need to decide what you would be most happy racing. NASA Texas has a busy Texas schedule 7 events this year & that will grow for 2012 for me having a PCA or SCCA legal car is not an issue NASA TX has enough events in Texas & the nationals at Mod Ohio this year.

I love my 951 & had the same issue I wanted more power but, I didn't want to give up the handling so I did the LS swap & I haven't looked back. This may not be for you but, take a look around & choose carefully.

BTW Im the NASA Texas GTS & ST director stop by my garage @ TWS & ill be more than willing to talk to you about GTS & ST.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

it all comes down to your budget.......... No sense building this super-racer that costs SO much to build & run that you can only race it a couple times a year..... Not to mention you are afraid of damaging it...this seems quite common for "new" racers....

Eventually they learn that you shouldn't put anything on track you are not willing to LEAVE on track....racing just takes this motto to the next level.... "spec" racing allows for lots of racing on a reasonable budget...it terms of bang for your buck....its hard to beat Spec Miata....sure the AI cars turn faster lap times (barely) and sound WAY better.....but do cost more to run...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rene
Come out to TWS in Aug & hang out with the NASA group. Take a look at all the classes SM, AI, CMC & the GTS/ST group. There is great racing in all the groups you just need to decide what you would be most happy racing. NASA Texas has a busy Texas schedule 7 events this year & that will grow for 2012 for me having a PCA or SCCA legal car is not an issue NASA TX has enough events in Texas & the nationals at Mod Ohio this year.

I love my 951 & had the same issue I wanted more power but, I didn't want to give up the handling so I did the LS swap & I haven't looked back. This may not be for you but, take a look around & choose carefully.

BTW Im the NASA Texas GTS & ST director stop by my garage @ TWS & ill be more than willing to talk to you about GTS & ST.

Thank you for your invite Rene. I am certainly coming up there. The last TWS round up there I was hung up, but I will be there and look forward to meeting you.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on that P1. That is why it is an "enduro" right? Improved cooling on your car for a 1/3 . But at least you were not getting run over by your own car !

Please keep your eye out for a Spec, or a fun vintage car for me when you are out running and racing.
Will do - talk to Al as well while your down there. There is a lot of enthusiasm for all the groups down there. When I was at Hallet there were a lot of nice Porsches of all types - including LSx swapped ones above. There was also a great turnout of CMC cars that I saw.

Quick Reply: Any of You Drove a NASA CMC or Am Iron Mustang