Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet and Hans Device bag, Gear Bag...

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Side bar and FWIW; I chose to lug my helmet, Hans, Smartycam, new race suit, and anything else that's reasonably expensive into my hotel room. Most will fit in my large roller bag though I carry the helmet in it's own bag. I just don't think it's worth it to risk a sizable loss if someone broke into my trailer. The guy next to me at a recent NASA Cal Speedway race had his new Go-Pro camera taken out of his car during the middle of the day. I was out ontrack or that could have been my new Smartycam. That really got to me so I just take the valuable stuff with me now.

Sorry for the OT rant but I think it's relevant....
Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
Use a Shock Doctor Helmet bag (along with the dryer system) to hold my Helmet / Hans / Gloves. Helps keep everything fresh, and also allows me to keep these items separate for when I want to go karting and don't need all my gear.
+1 on the SD bag & dryer. It's a pity they stopped making it. I wish someone would buy or copy the design.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

JR,

Good points.

When I raced motorcycles, I didn't have a trailer so I was always lugging my helmet and stuff around in a big gear bag too. My leathers were always on a big thick plastic hanger because they were always wet after riding. I also had to lug around a big back protector. My racing boots and gloves were much more bulky than their car racing counterparts. But, I will take two pairs of race shoes and two pairs of gloves along with several pairs of Nomex socks and balaclavas.

It would seem that what I will doing with my car racing gear won't be any different than what I did with my motorcycle racing gear. I didn't think it would be much different, but I had to ask....

Scott
Old 07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep my Hans attached to my helmet 100% of the time. I always put my helment and Hans on before I get in the car as a unit. I don't think I have seperated them in ever.

I use a "HANS" braned bag that fits both tighty. It is black padded bag sort of hald dome shaped. They sit snugly so no movement between the two. There is pocked under the main compartment, but I never put anything in there. I carry my shoes in a seperte bag the race suit comes on a hanger an I never put it in a bag. When I got my enclosed trailer I put in a hook so that I can hand the suit from the wall both went traveling and in between sessions. I think this lets the suit air out. A home the suit sits in the closet on the hanger again.

My only issue is with my gloves. Despite trying to let them air out they tend to get hard between events. I need to post another thread on caring for gloves. Most of my gear lasts and lasts, but I seem to chew up gloves pretty fast. Not sure why.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the LARGE Sparco bag with rollers and pull out handle. It holds everything, and then some. But its huge. Think of a big Hockey bag for race car stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmet and Hans Device bag, Gear Bag...