Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet and Hans Device bag, Gear Bag...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Helmet and Hans Device bag, Gear Bag...

I did a search but found nothing recent, so I figured I should check the collective wisdom:

I have a Bell M4 helmet with a Hans device. I am looking for a helmet bag and a gear bag.

Do you store you helmet in a helmet/Hans bag with the helmet attached to the Hans Device? Or do you store them in the same bag but in separate compartments? Should I get a helmet bag with room for shoes and gloves? Is there such a bag? What helmet bag(s) do you like?

For the gear bag, what should I look for? Should it have room for the helmet bag? I have twp pairs of driving shoes, two pairs of gloves, several balaclavas, several pairs of socks. I will have a Cool Shirt system. Should I put my suit on a hanger and hang it up or is storing it in the gear bag okay until I get to the track? What gear bag(s) do you like?

Any advice here is appreciated!

Scott
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Given the collective wisdom of the sweaty farkers in this forum, I can't wait to see the answers.

Good questions tho...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Helmet in helmet bag and rest in run of the mill duffel bag. I keep the Hans in the sock bag it came with in the duffel bag.

I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but why waste tire, pads, registration budget on that stuff.

Skip
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Bell Pro Hans Helmet bag

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-2247.htm

Stores all my driving gear (helmet, hans, cool shirt, shoes, gloves, and my driving suit in the main compartment)... use the side pockets for sunscreen, earplugs, sunglasses, ipod, magazines, kindle, first aid kit, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
...Stores all my driving gear (helmet, hans, cool shirt, shoes, gloves, and my driving suit in the main compartment)... use the side pockets for sunscreen, earplugs, sunglasses, ipod, magazines, kindle, first aid kit, etc.
Glen you fit all that stuff in the main compartment? That bag must be friggin huge. The price is certainly right.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Sparco large gear bag on rollers.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Scott:
If you sit store your helmet sitting on top of the HANS then put a towel between them so the HANS doesn't rub the bottom of your helmet padding. Personally I keep my HANS, gloves, shoes, communicators and other stuff in a duffel bag and my helmet in one of the basic Bell fleece lined helmet bags.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Coleman duffel bag. It is large enough for my helmet, in it's zip close bag, the HANS, in it's original tie top bag, cool shirt, socks, balaclava, 2 pair of shoes and way more stuff than I like to drag around. I hang my suit in the truck, but it would fit in it's original bag inside the duffel.

You might want to consider saving money on the tot bag and buy one of those helmet dryers. The guys I know who have them, swear by them.

We have it soooo bad having to make these tough decisions.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I bought an XL bell gear bag because it was on sale for something stupid, like... $30. It is entirely too big unless you have a lot of gear. I keep helmet, hans, radios, shoes, and gloves in the main compartment. suit, nomex, and schedules/rules/etc in the sidepockets. On the drive home I leave my bag open with my suit inside out and helmet upside down to let them breathe. accidentally left them inside after one nice florida summer race.... catastrophic mistake.

otherwise I like just using one bag for everything
Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Bell Pro Hans Helmet bag

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-2247.htm

Stores all my driving gear (helmet, hans, cool shirt, shoes, gloves, and my driving suit in the main compartment)... use the side pockets for sunscreen, earplugs, sunglasses, ipod, magazines, kindle, first aid kit, etc.
+1

I can't get my suit in there too but everything else fits. I separate the helmet and HANS and put the helmet in a fleece sock.

Marc
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Use a Shock Doctor Helmet bag (along with the dryer system) to hold my Helmet / Hans / Gloves. Helps keep everything fresh, and also allows me to keep these items separate for when I want to go karting and don't need all my gear.

Have a separate smaller duffel with compartments that I keep the rest of my gear. When it's time to hit the track just grab these 2 bags and my condensed tool box and hit the road.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shock doctor bag for war painted helmet and Hans. OMG huge rolling bag for suit, shoes, clothes. Laptop bag for laptop, forms, software, job book (race car), spare chips and connectors/chargers.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I have the Bell Pro bag, pretty much get the same stuff as Glenn, except the shoes, but they would fit.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Stand21 Helmet/HANS Bag:

http://www.stand21.fr/porsche/porsche-2.html
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

I am leaning toward trying the Bell Hans Pro Helmet Bag. I also am leaning toward separating the helmet from the Hans Device and storing the helmet in its own fleece sock.

The bag is cheap enough that if I don't like it, I won't feel too bad about selling it cheap or giving it away.

Thanks!!

Scott

Quick Reply: Helmet and Hans Device bag, Gear Bag...