Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Stein ("Original Motorhead" on RL) - update- we lost him 7/5/11

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought a lot of Tom as well. Funny, humble, generous. He'll be missed!

RIP
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This is painful to read.

I did not know Tom but he was way too young to lose his life...

Prayers to his friends and family.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It was Tom 39th birthday today. My daughter says that his birthday present is to be with God. From the mouth of babes...

I will make up a bunch of small #444 stickers and bring them to Autobahn for anyone who would like to run them on their car in memory. Godspeed, Tom.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'll take one of those stickers....
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I wore my Dragon Racing shirt in memory of Tom today. I would take a memorial sticker to put on my car.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Very sorry to hear this. Tom was a great guy. I only had the pleasure of racing with him once (the Dragon's first race), but I'll never forget his energy and enthusiasm for everything we were doing. I hope he is in his own heaven now, perhaps on the perfect road course.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Another reminder that "tomorrow is promised to no one". Sounds like he enjoyed every day. Good for him, we should all be so lucky.
God bless, and RIP.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Dan, I'd love one of those stickers too. Figure the celica should be wearing one at Nelson's when we go back.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This was just way too soon to loose someone like Tom. I had the good fortune to race with him once and bump into him at the track on a couple of occasions.

As others have said he was very generous. He towed is 24’ enclosed trailer to the Nelson Ledges race to give us a place to sleep and hangout out of the weather which that weekend proved invaluable.

Aside from that he spent some time road racing Ducati’s which raised my respect for him exponentially.

As much as he was laid back off the track, he was all business on track. I remember at Nelson Ledges someone called him on the radio at one point and he replied “no chatter in the corners”. A few of us had a chuckle at the time, but he was dead serious, and you have to respect that.

R.I.P. Tom
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember racing against him at Autobahn last year - we were both getting faster and faster at the time with Tom holding out to win the pursuit race as Neal and I were chasing him down (Neal of course at a faster pace than me). Tom didn't put a wheel wrong and won that race. He was a great guy and always there for you in the pits when needed. He will be sorely missed.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crap - Eric, I'll take one of those stickers in memory of a fellow Spec racer. This news also ought to go on the 944Spec site
Old 07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear about Tom. I never met him and never interacted with him on Rennlist, but I do recall reading his posts. It's sad that "one of our own" is gone. Much sympathy to Tom's family and friends. It sounds like the world is worse without him here.

Sterling Doc, it might be a good idea to change the thread title so people know that Tom did not survive. I just happened to re-read the thread this morning after I originally read it on the 27th and had no idea that he had passed.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to report that Tom has lost his battle with his injury. , thoughts are with Tom's family. MORPCA has lost a true friend.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We truely lost one of the family in Tom. We're trying to have the memorial "444" stickers made in time for the PCA event at Putnam this weekend, don't know if that can happen or not.
So remember him, and live each day 110%, as we never know who we'll lose next, or when it's our time.
Godspeed, my friend.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I apologize for the delay in posting, and revising the title. I wanted to make sure that everything was a bit more clear before I posted again. There was some confusion, as there was a lag between when it became clear that Tom would not survive (due to massive brain damage), and when he passed away - at 10:45pm last night.

There has been an enormous demand for stickers, which is a tribute to Tom, his large ring of friends & family, and the racing community. The stickers are being made by a friend of mine who runs Compliance Signs. As he will not accept payment for them, and I have already upped the "order" 3 times, there will be a large, but limited supply of stickers. My priority is to get them to family, close friends, and local racers. I will try and get stickers out to the rest as supply, and time allows.

As Tom's family has posted that they appreciate the gesture of running stickers, please feel free to duplicate these locally, and run them. PDF is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ntRBW&hl=en_US

(Ignore the gold background - it is there for contrast.)

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 07-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Tom Stein ("Original Motorhead" on RL) - update- we lost him 7/5/11