Sponsored by:

VIR report

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
How many PCA races have you signed up for this year?
Two, coaching racers. Plus three PBOC races coaching or coaching/co-driiving with Porsche drivers. Why?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 136 Posts

It would be a shame for PCA to not have a race at VIR. I hope PCA and VIR can come up with an arrangement that keeps the race alive for 2012.

I don't know the ins and outs of insurance and all the legal stuff, but what about inviting the BMWCCA Club Racers to join us. Maybe have separate sprints Saturday and Porsche vs BMW races on Sunday. Two 45 minute races with the groups split up so with our stock class cars vs theirs, and their fast highly modded cars in the GTC and GT cars. Don't know what you guys think, but it sounds sort of neat to me.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a history there with the BMWs. They raced with PCA or were mixed in somehow, when it was support to the Grand Am race. That could work.

But Sunday was brutally hot; more than a few drivers got exhausted or dizzy in the enduro. If the other days were like that, no way for one driver to do 2 sprints and a full enduro, cool suit or not. I think it might be better to go back to 1 sprint.

I would like to add evening racing at VIR instead of the second sprint maybe.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

We had a great time at VIR this year. As said before, it was hot on Sunday but not nearly as bad as last year. It would have been nice to see more cars in the paddock but the 2 race groups were still a decent size. To be honest more cars would have pushed the traffic problem over the edge. VIR is an awesome track. Sections could definitely use a re-pave and the pea-gravel/beach in the paddock is not that great but its hard to beat those climbing esses! I enjoyed the enduro with the combined classes, it would have just been another "long" sprint race if they had separated the groups.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Race steward said there will be a VIR race next year but depending on turnout they may cancel some of the frills like dinner, trophies, shirts, etc.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It's amazing to me to look at the T&S sheets posted above, from just one run group, and see so many of my friends from Texas.

THEY towed to VIR, which is a major league tow...yet folks closer by don't even show up?

Wow.
You guys headed to a COOLER place
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
There is a history there with the BMWs. They raced with PCA or were mixed in somehow, when it was support to the Grand Am race. That could work.

But Sunday was brutally hot; more than a few drivers got exhausted or dizzy in the enduro. If the other days were like that, no way for one driver to do 2 sprints and a full enduro, cool suit or not. I think it might be better to go back to 1 sprint.

I would like to add evening racing at VIR instead of the second sprint maybe.
An evening or night race... there is a great idea! Stays light til alteast 8pm that time of year there? PCA already does it with Sebring...
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Looks like 14 cars or 40% of the field DNF'd in the Enduro. Was that heat or mayhem?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clarification - I was the steward at the VIR race and asked at the drivers meeting whether for a show of hands as to whether it made any difference in attendance if the race was run as a "no frills" race next year. Not surprisingly, everyone said they would attend with or without the dinner, shirts, etc.

With regard to the 14 DNF's, there were various reasons for the DNF's. Cars breaking, tires going flat, guys getting tired and quitting, etc. There were NO incidents in that 90 minutes of racing.

A great event, at a world class facility. Those who didn't raced there missed a good time.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 136 Posts

I like Patti and Mitch's idea of a twilight or night race. A race finishing at dusk would be cool. Still do two sprints on Saturday, but have the first early afternoon, then have the second at say 7pm. Or maybe have the enduro as the evening race, finishing right around sunset. Then have the second 45 minute Sprint on Sunday.

Figure PCA would have to check with VIR.

And Bruce, thank you again for letting me be added as a second driver for the enduro at the last minute. Turns out that the car owner was feeling good when he did his pitstop so I ended up not getting in the car anyway.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, no problem and my apologies if I growled at you initially. My wife always warns people about talking to me before I am fed........

The VIR manager had a long meeting with the event chair and the Zone 2 rep on Sunday, talking about a number of options to keep this race viable. I had never been at this particular track before working as the steward but was very impressed with the track as well as the amenites. This track compares very favorably with the "famous" tracks on the PCA CR schedule, with the main difference between this track and many of the other "famous" tracks being VIR has significant run off in most spots. Sure, one can eventually find the wall (talk to Rick Deman about that) but unlike certain tracks, going off track won't guaranty hitting the wall. We had three days of hard racing at VIR this past weekend and only one minor contact with a wall or tire barrier in the club race groups. I'd race there before I'd race at Watkins Glen or Sebring, although Watkins Glen and Sebring are both also on the definite "must do" list.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
With regard to the 14 DNF's, there were various reasons for the DNF's. Cars breaking, tires going flat, guys getting tired and quitting, etc. There were NO incidents in that 90 minutes of racing.

A great event, at a world class facility. Those who didn't raced there missed a good time.
Thanks for clarifying. Hope to make it to VIR this fall.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce, keep up the good work. I think I speak for many when I say a BIG thank you.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics?

Quick Reply: VIR report