Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help on tow vehicles please

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just returned from the track, driving with 35mph crosswinds and stronger gusts.

Very glad to have had the 2500HD Duramax; it would not have been fun in anything less at all. But tradeoffs do exist.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, They fold up on my '05 double cab too. I think they may have changed that in the newer models and the CrewMax in particular. Looks like a fixed seat track that is in the way of an open floor when you fold them up. Need to check that and on the Chevy/GMC. Ford gets that right and I am leaning towards an F-150 because of it.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
CT03911
Banned

To close this thread, I went with a 2010 Tundra Double Cab, 14,000 miles, SR5 and TRD package, 4x4.
I have always liked the looks, but it was the motor, big brakes and ability to effortlessly tow that impressed me most.
Yes the Ram and the Chevy with the 6.2 engine have the same grunt but the big motor Chevy was basically not out there and I don't really like the Ram styling.
The back seats on the Tundra fold up and away and I like the size of the available floor.
The interior is not the best, we all know that but it is fine. The ride is firm, more so with the TRD package. I don't mind that.

I was just going to post the link to the Autotrader ad but looks like the dealer has pulled it. I am headed over there now.

It was an interesting ad and this is the best part. The truck was listed as a base model 2010 with 14k miles and priced at $26,100. The truck was totally de-badged. I looked it over, it's cherry and clean carfax, one owner deal. It had Bilsteins, skid plates, the TRD all-terrain rubber, etc, and SR5 level equipment. I asked the dealer to pull the options by VIN and they discovered they had a mint SR5/TRD model priced like a base model.

The truck should have been stickered close to 30k.

They told me they would honor the $26,100 last night and I promptly gave them a deposit.

More proof the old addage, "It's better to be lucky than good" is alive and well.

Also of note is that I have an agreement to sell my '05 Tundra to a friend for $13.5k. I asked the dealer to take it in trade for 13.5 and re-sell it today to my buddy for 13.5. I get the sales tax savings of almost $900. They said fine.

I suppose something could happen to my buddies deal in half paying, half financing his $13.5k but barring that in an hour or so I should be in the "new" Tundra as we are both headed to the dealer.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by CT03911
To close this thread, I went with a 2010 Tundra Double Cab, 14,000 miles, SR5 and TRD package, 4x4.
I have always liked the looks, but it was the motor, big brakes and ability to effortlessly tow that impressed me most.
Yes the Ram and the Chevy with the 6.2 engine have the same grunt but the big motor Chevy was basically not out there and I don't really like the Ram styling.
The back seats on the Tundra fold up and away and I like the size of the available floor.
The interior is not the best, we all know that but it is fine. The ride is firm, more so with the TRD package. I don't mind that.

I was just going to post the link to the Autotrader ad but looks like the dealer has pulled it. I am headed over there now.

It was an interesting ad and this is the best part. The truck was listed as a base model 2010 with 14k miles and priced at $26,100. The truck was totally de-badged. I looked it over, it's cherry and clean carfax, one owner deal. It had Bilsteins, skid plates, the TRD all-terrain rubber, etc, and SR5 level equipment. I asked the dealer to pull the options by VIN and they discovered they had a mint SR5/TRD model priced like a base model.

The truck should have been stickered close to 30k.

They told me they would honor the $26,100 last night and I promptly gave them a deposit.

More proof the old addage, "It's better to be lucky than good" is alive and well.

Also of note is that I have an agreement to sell my '05 Tundra to a friend for $13.5k. I asked the dealer to take it in trade for 13.5 and re-sell it today to my buddy for 13.5. I get the sales tax savings of almost $900. They said fine.

I suppose something could happen to my buddies deal in half paying, half financing his $13.5k but barring that in an hour or so I should be in the "new" Tundra as we are both headed to the dealer.
Congrats! Looks like a great deal. That would be my choice of big truck right now, in part because 350 days a year it would not be towing a trailer. I think the next frontier for towing improvement will be transmissions. Good car auto-transmissions these days start with 6 speed, and some have 7 or 8 ratios. Most tow vehicles still have 5 ratios or less, and in some cases (check out the Dodge/Jeep web sites), it is effectively a 4-speed transmission when towing.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats dude! You are going to love it. Does it have tow mirrors already on it?

On a brake controller I am running the Prodigy P3 down in the center cubby below the HVAC controls. Pretty simple install took all of like 30 minutes.

Question on a different front from others who say you need a 3/4 ton truck. How does the comparison work for say a 03-07 older gen silverado 2500 when you compare it to the current Tundra for example? When you look at dimensions and specs the Tundra has a 1" longer wheel base, overall length is longer, it is 100-200 lbs heavier than the silverado and has more power and bigger brakes. So from a comparison are you better off with an older 3/4 or a newer 1/2?

Quick Reply: Little help on tow vehicles please