Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling: Helmet Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Cooling: Helmet Air

I'm going to get a new Arai helmet with air intake. The intake is installed at the factory and the buyer chooses what side of the helmet they want it on. I will also be installing radio connections on the left.

Question: How did you guys decide which side to put the air intake on?
The top is not a good option for me because of clearance. I have been told 'Left' for sprints and 'Right' for enduros.

Upside and downside of each would help. Thanks.

Anyone use air with glasses? How does that effect your eyes? Sometimes AC in a car, blowing right at my eyes, does funny things behind the glasses (turbulences) and bugs me.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Randy,

I have 2 helmets with the left side mounted air hose as it is easier for the crew to hook you up. Also, I find it easier to lay the hose by the door where I lay the cool suit ones also. In case of emergency, I prefer to have all connections on the same side to have more flexibility on escaping.

My new helmet has the top mounted hose as it is easier with the HANS seat. The side mounted vent wastes a lot of AC down the chin hole. You should use a skirt for max effect. BUT, keep in mind that the heat exchangers on helmet blowers are not efficient enough (not enough time on the exchanger) to really cool the air much.

They work great on the grid, but once racing, I go for volume and open the visor.

No problems with the glasses fog'ing.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Juan. Great info. The how and the why from someone who uses this system is what I need.
I think I will do a mock install and try each side. I am concerned there will be too many things happening on one side of my head and end up getting tangled together.

I understand that Arai installs a track system to direct the flow of air around the helmet. Hopefully this will limit the loss at the chin. It is disappointing to hear that the air is not really that efficient or cool. It makes since though, because the air will pass through that short U Channel in under a second.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
They work great on the grid, but once racing, I go for volume and open the visor.
Isn't a open visor a bad idea from a safety perspective? You may not have the time, or even forget to close it even if you do have the time, in cased of a shunt.

Scott
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Isn't a open visor a bad idea from a safety perspective? You may not have the time, or even forget to close it even if you do have the time, in cased of a shunt.

Scott
Definitely a trade off.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
It is a bad idea but so is overheating. It is a tradeoff.

I have seen drivers route outside air into the helmet which is also a trade off as you might get debris, water, etc.,

If the air from the blower air was cooler or the blower delivered a higher volume, problem would be minimized.

Paradise, do test your escape strategy before you decide. I've used it for years so feel free to ask.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

It's a trade off.....but I would think that a Cool Shirt or similar product is a better one than opening your visor. It's hard to get out of a car if you eyes are burned or it is too hot to open them and you can't see.

I suspect that in a fire, it would be worse to have an open visor than to not wear a balaclava.

Scott

Scott
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott, I wear a FAST cool shirt also. 3 hour enduro's get long especially in Florida heat. One thing that helps a lot is to route fresh air to the cabin to keep it "cool".

I also think that a close visor (I think) is better protection than a balaclava.

One thing to practice is the escape routine with your eyes closed. You don't know if the cabin will be full of smoke.

That said, I had to jump out of a car in a hurry once. Came out the driver's side and ripped blower, shirt lines and radio. Hardest thing (in hindsight) was getting out of the containment seat with a non-sliding HANS.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

A containment seat in an old 911 is scary. I can`t escape through the driver`s side window with a regular seat. Unless I forget, I run with my visor down leaving a small crack at the bottom.

Practicing with your eyes closed is a really good idea. Most likely smoke or debris will be floating around the cabin, reducing visibility, in an emergency exit situation anyway.

How much equipment damage was there from ripping everything out?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a lot, had to reattach the hose fiitings on the water lines and replace the helmet wiring harness. The air hose came right out of the helmet.

Let's be careful out there...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Helmet cooling

Cool Shirt offers safety pull release connectors. So in the case where you have to exit the vehicle quickly, the connections unplug when pulled. You really have to yank them but they are designed to disconnect versus breaking the standard connections.

Cool Shirt also makes a helmet blower. The standard blower offers 10-15 degrees of cooler air or you can upgrade to the 235cfm which is a little cooler. Not the same as using the complete air & water system but it helps.

Good to keep as many connections on the left side near the door so everything is on the exit side of the car. And practice, practice, practice getting out.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling: Helmet Air