Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To minimize understeer - tire or bar first

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest giving CoryF as much info as you can . He has some good advice on the 993TT. Tires alone will not cure understeer. There are so many variables. td, the GT3 is a completely different animal to a 993TT.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
18" rims, 8 and 11

Not sure the temps are going to help. As was pointed out to me, the track i got the temps are is terrible for taking them because the tires aren't being stressed anywhere near the exit. The only thing of interest is that I'm getting the fronts up to 190 and the rears only up to 170 -175.

Greg H.
My experience with the NT01's is:

Sweet spot range for temperature is more like 120F min to 160F max. After that, they get sloppy/slippery.

The fact that your fronts are hotter than the rears is telling you something. Check yourself to make sure you are using the whole track width throughout the turn.

Tire pressure (2900 gross wt.) on an 80/85 degree day with NT01 is front hot about 29 and rear about 35. Develop a simple system, and be consistent taking and recording pressure.

Determine what's going on with the way the car is currently set up. You will find the problem one step at a time by process of elimination.

The solution isn't always oversized tires and rims. You are potentially creating additional problems using this approach.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I understand there are a lot of variables the most important probably being me. I was just trying to keep things simple. It's a dual purpose car, but the street driving mostly consists of driving to the track on the highway. I'm using Nitto NT01 245/315. Have Pss9 and TRG bars (which are relatively thick compared to what Porsche offers) I have a thread going on the 993 forum discussing alignment, but let me just say I am trying to align it to maximixe track performance. Camber at -2.3 in front which seems to work and -2.4 in the rear which I might lower based on wear and tire temps. -.15 total toe in front and +.5 total toe in rear (which seems a bit much to me).

Greg H.
I'd sure try softening the front bar 1 notch before buying new tires. Where are your bars set now?....
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As JR suggest one notch on the bar helps with corner entry. Spring rates play a big part on the camber settings. You may want to check tire temps all corners, 3 readings of course per tire. I would also have someone drive the car that can push the car a bit.

Quick Reply: To minimize understeer - tire or bar first