pilot super sport vs ps2 track times

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default pilot super sport vs ps2 track times

Here is one data point.

997 Carrera S. It is set up with GT3 control arms, front GT3 brake cooling ducts and GT2 rear ducts. Other than that I run it stock on the track including OEM pads. I have a GT3 seat and use harnesses. Experience is about 75 track days over the last 7-8 years. Previous cars 996 GT3, 996 carrera.

I just took off my worn PS2s and put on the super sports. I had heard some good things and read some initial reviews. When I got to the shop and looked at the tires I checked the treadwear number. It was 300 vs 220 for the PS2s. I was a bit disappointed when I saw that as I had heard that the super sports were a better "track" tire. But, I decided to reserve judgement.

Qualitatively - The tread was definitely deeper than the PS2s new. The ride was quieter and they were more compliant. They did feel a bit bulkier and visually they appeared to have a higher sidewall. I prefer them as a DD tire over the PS2s.

I took them to Thunderhill. In my Carrera S I was running in the low 2:10s with my best number 2:10 with PS2s. However, with the Super sports the best I could do was mid to upper 2:11s. Granted, I was a bit rusty as I haven't tracked as much recently but I don't think I was that far off my technique. And, the temps were similar to PS2 track days. In speaking to a few track colleagues the general thought was I was paying the price for the higher treadwear rating. Seems to make sense to me. Regarding pressures, I followed the same routine of dropping the tire pressure significantly so I was running about 38psi hot rear and 33 or so in the front. My lap times were better the first 4 or so laps and I could feel the tires get greasy the latter parts of the run session. This was a similar trend for the PS2s.

My conclusion? I like the Super Sports better for DD which is what I do mostly now, but from a pure performance point of view I would pick the PS2s They felt lighter, and more agile. And the grip seemed better.

Just one data point. Of course, maybe I am just losing it!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,003 Posts

When I heard the treadwear was 300, I had my doubts as well that they would perform better than the PS2 tires on a track. My only guess is that Michelin is trying to address the longevity issue and still have a tire that can be taken to a track.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Once they make Super Sports in 315 and 295 for my 18" wheels for my 993TT and 996TSCab, I'll use them for the street, but stick with the MPSC's for the track....
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Here is one data point.

997 Carrera S. It is set up with GT3 control arms, front GT3 brake cooling ducts and GT2 rear ducts. Other than that I run it stock on the track including OEM pads. I have a GT3 seat and use harnesses. Experience is about 75 track days over the last 7-8 years. Previous cars 996 GT3, 996 carrera.

I just took off my worn PS2s and put on the super sports. I had heard some good things and read some initial reviews. When I got to the shop and looked at the tires I checked the treadwear number. It was 300 vs 220 for the PS2s. I was a bit disappointed when I saw that as I had heard that the super sports were a better "track" tire. But, I decided to reserve judgement.

Qualitatively - The tread was definitely deeper than the PS2s new. The ride was quieter and they were more compliant. They did feel a bit bulkier and visually they appeared to have a higher sidewall. I prefer them as a DD tire over the PS2s.

I took them to Thunderhill. In my Carrera S I was running in the low 2:10s with my best number 2:10 with PS2s. However, with the Super sports the best I could do was mid to upper 2:11s. Granted, I was a bit rusty as I haven't tracked as much recently but I don't think I was that far off my technique. And, the temps were similar to PS2 track days. In speaking to a few track colleagues the general thought was I was paying the price for the higher treadwear rating. Seems to make sense to me. Regarding pressures, I followed the same routine of dropping the tire pressure significantly so I was running about 38psi hot rear and 33 or so in the front. My lap times were better the first 4 or so laps and I could feel the tires get greasy the latter parts of the run session. This was a similar trend for the PS2s.

My conclusion? I like the Super Sports better for DD which is what I do mostly now, but from a pure performance point of view I would pick the PS2s They felt lighter, and more agile. And the grip seemed better.

Just one data point. Of course, maybe I am just losing it!
As I said in the GT3 forum, you cannot properly compare a set of used tyres that have experienced multiple track heat cycles to what is effectively a brand new tyre with no track heat cycles on them. They are BOUND to be slower and
have less grip.

I guarantee you if you had a brand new set of PS2's instead of Super Sports you would experience approximately the same performance degratation as you are experiencing with the Super Sports.

Perhaps after an appropriate number of track days (how many do you have on your PS2s?) you can compare laps times again.

I believe you will find that your times improve and may even perhaps exceed that of the times you achieved with the PS2s in their current condition.

I would not attribute the performance of the tyre to its wear rating, the Super Sport has a number of improved/different technologies over the PS2 especially on the shoulder which is the most crucial part of the tyre while tracking.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 PM
ECS
Pro

Thanks. I have heard that street tires don't have the same heat cycling characteristics as R comps. Also, I did have new PS2 recently and brought them to the track new. So the comparison of new to new was done. The Ps2s definitely have less tread new. One question for the forum: my assumption is that a higher tread wear rating can be offset in terms of tire technology somewhat but a difference of almost 30% seems too high to be offset between generations.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

^ so you have new PS2 and SS times to compare?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM
ECS
Pro

^ Yes, that is what I wrote.

Quick Reply: pilot super sport vs ps2 track times