Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!!! BLESSED INDEED!!!
BillCarter
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I can't stand that Carbon-X stuff, it sure looks and feels the part, but I find it impossibly hot to wear and has no breathability, I've gone back to more traditional nomex with far more comfort
I've been wearing Oakley's Carbon X shoes, socks, and gloves for years and have never noticed any breathability issues. The newer stuff from manufacturers like Simpson and Oakley are much more comfortable than the original material....
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Yes I understand your point. No rear window = not smart. Fine lesson learned the hard way.

However lets not let this thread turn into a window pissing match. The issue is fire is very nasty stuff and nevery take it lightly.
Agreed.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I've been wearing Oakley's Carbon X shoes, socks, and gloves for years and have never noticed any breathability issues. The newer stuff from manufacturers like Simpson and Oakley are much more comfortable than the original material....
Yeah, maybe gloves and socks, but I recently wore an Oakley Carbon X shirt and I thought I was gonna die!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

The new (?) Sparco x-cool stuff is lighter and more comfortable (and more expensive) than the older woolly stuff, and worth a try. Can't imagine going out without a balaclava. These are informative discussions, and the incident a couple years ago at Daytona prompted me to put a fire system in my car. This is a really fun thing we do, but I just won't take a chance when it comes to things we can control. My takeaway here is- more practice at getting out fast. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Well, lol. "What I said is x, but what I meant is Y, and any idiot can figure that out." That is Kibort-like... laugh really loud out loud.

Anyway, why is no rear window in a car like the injured gentleman was driving a bad idea?

Last Fall I did some looking around Porsche forums as I was looking for ideas on fabbing a rear window for my 911. One of the things that comes up is some folks put holes in their rear windows to "let air out." Figuring it will help.

But some pointed out that the actual direction of airflow is inward. There is a great pic of a 911 at Daytona showing the plastic rear window bowed in at speed in one of the threads. Now I knew all of this a long time ago (maybe a couple of decades), but I still found guys posting pictures of holes they put in their plastic rear windows to let air out. Go figure. They see someone else on the 'net do it so they do it.

So does the rear window act as a firewall? Or, from a fire in the ***-end standpoint, is the real issue the direction of the airflow? I think fire and smoke gets naturally sucked in... so the window helps with that... until it melts.

Anyway, Dave and I can disagree philosophically, that is fine. I don't believe in being especially sensitive, but I do believe in trying to be clear if appropriate.

Shortcutting communication, in my opinion, can water down the knowledge base in our sport. That cannot help us. More shortcuts can lead to more accidents can lead to more liability and more obstacles... and so on.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

I would like to make an additional point that I don't think anyone has made. In addition to the lack of balaclava/rear window obviously contributing greatly to the incident, in my opinion a great contributor was hasty prep.

If anyone watched the long version of the video on youtube, there is some text overlay which explains in more detail the cause of the incident. Earlier in the day he had a spin due to hasty rear brake repair where the bias was not reset properly. Then, the fire itself was caused by loose bolts in the engine/trans mount which caused it to rip out and break an oil line.

I think the main message here should be that you should be very thorough and timely in your preparation, and don't beat yourself up if you miss a session or even an event because you didn't have time to prep the car properly. The car needs to have all critical nuts/bolts checked regularly. Most of us here are not racing for a prize and if you are staying up until the wee hours of the night getting your car ready the day before event, the probability of making a mistake goes up greatly.

If you don't have the time/skills to check the car out properly between events, have a *competent* shop do it. And just because someone owns a shop does not mean they are competent. I have seen A LOT of very sloppy race prep from "pro" shops. Find someone who works on a lot of racers' cars and who has a good reputation. Many high end "tuner" shops will prep some track cars, but I have seen scary stuff....

Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
The new (?) Sparco x-cool stuff is lighter and more comfortable (and more expensive) than the older woolly stuff, and worth a try. Can't imagine going out without a balaclava. These are informative discussions, and the incident a couple years ago at Daytona prompted me to put a fire system in my car. This is a really fun thing we do, but I just won't take a chance when it comes to things we can control. My takeaway here is- more practice at getting out fast. Thanks for posting.
As a club racing noob, I was surprised that the balaclava was not a mandatory piece, given the vulnerability of the neck, and the importance of the neck to your general well being! I did laps with and without the balaclava, and was surprised that I preferred the sweat-control properties of the balaclava. My only issue with it is that in a closed helmet, it redirects my breath upward, leading to more in-helmet fogging problems. I've had to pull the lower edge down to my lower lip in order to keep it from happening.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Well, lol. "What I said is x, but what I meant is Y, and any idiot can figure that out." That is Kibort-like... laugh really loud out loud.
No, actually, what I said was X and what I meant was X as well. Again, everyone else seems to have understood it. Your argument over this, and your solo argument about what the definition of "is" is remains the only Kibort-like part of this thread.

Carry on.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I've had to pull the lower edge down to my lower lip in order to keep it from happening.
I have worn a balaclava for years. However I could never breath through it. I always pulled the single eye port down below my lower lip. This does expose my nose and upper lip. I understand that, but when it covered my mount and nose I had a harder time breathing.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
I would like to make an additional point that I don't think anyone has made. In addition to the lack of balaclava/rear window obviously contributing greatly to the incident, in my opinion a great contributor was hasty prep.

If anyone watched the long version of the video on youtube, there is some text overlay which explains in more detail the cause of the incident. Earlier in the day he had a spin due to hasty rear brake repair where the bias was not reset properly. Then, the fire itself was caused by loose bolts in the engine/trans mount which caused it to rip out and break an oil line.

I think the main message here should be that you should be very thorough and timely in your preparation, and don't beat yourself up if you miss a session or even an event because you didn't have time to prep the car properly. The car needs to have all critical nuts/bolts checked regularly. Most of us here are not racing for a prize and if you are staying up until the wee hours of the night getting your car ready the day before event, the probability of making a mistake goes up greatly.

If you don't have the time/skills to check the car out properly between events, have a *competent* shop do it. And just because someone owns a shop does not mean they are competent. I have seen A LOT of very sloppy race prep from "pro" shops. Find someone who works on a lot of racers' cars and who has a good reputation. Many high end "tuner" shops will prep some track cars, but I have seen scary stuff....

Just my 2 cents...
Very good point and one that deserves consideration. After almost dropping a motor 2 years ago I now check all the mounting bolts, suspension bolts, etc myself before each race weekend....
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Very good point and one that deserves consideration. After almost dropping a motor 2 years ago I now check all the mounting bolts, suspension bolts, etc myself before each race weekend....
Yes - almost every nut/bolt on my cars is marked with a paint pen after final torque. This allows for a quick visual during the weekend between sessions. After each weekend they all get a wrench since they can loosen up without making an obvious move that you will see with the paint mark.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Dave:

I think this is what you said:

"...is a dolt to run any car, much less a highly modified car like this, w/o a rear window."

I was not attacking you... please lighten up.

In any case, I am glad you clarified for the 2-3 people whom may have read your post but may not have indicated with their own posts that they understood exactly what you meant. And in any case, that is not the point of this thread.

Anyway, regarding Nomex and suits, I was intrigued to run across a GForce ad in GRM recently where they point out the benefits of their quality/sampling process and that unnamed competitors' gear failed to meet stated specs. This really intrigues me from a safety standpoint.... implies batch testing is important...

Quick Reply: Why We Wear Nomex