Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why We Wear Nomex

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the salient points about Nomex/fire resistant safety equipment are pretty well expressed in elements of this thread.

I rarely disagree with what Mr. Raptor posts... but I cannot agree with his comments on rear windows. In my experience of the last 24 years I have seen many highly modified cars without rear windows that are well-prepared from a safety standpoint.

For example, the red car in the picture below is a 1969 Porsche 911 with a history that I believe includes an IMSA Sebring race or two. It has no rear window.

It is driven by Gary Walton who works at Jerry Woods Enterprises. Rich Walton also drives the car from time to time. It is very capable and well-prepped. Gary has been racing since 1965 and is the Chief Steward for the Porsche Racing Challenge Series.

Gary and Rich are very safety conscious, as is Jerry Woods. They are certainly not "dolts." Running without a rear window in my opinion is not stupid. How safe a particular car is... depends.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 11-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 775 Posts

The red car also has no roof.

The point is, if you have a roof but no rear window, air currents will send flames into the rear window and thus onto the back of the driver.

A car with no roof generally will not have this issue.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-19-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
For example, the red car in the picture below is a 1969 Porsche 911 with a history that I believe includes an IMSA Sebring race or two. It has no rear window.
You gotta be kidding us. It also has no FRONT window, and no ROOF. Not even a close comparison.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

I was not kidding. I wanted to give Mr. Raptor a chance to clarify. When you refer to someone who got injured in an accident a dolt on the internet, I think it prudent to be clear. Not everyone would understand what he meant.

In any case, dolt or not, I am glad the racer is recovering and willing to share his experiences with others in the interest of safety.

People make assumptions and take short cuts communicating a lot on the internet. In this case I am glad Mr. Raptor clarified his position.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was not kidding. I wanted to give Mr. Raptor a chance to clarify. When you refer to someone who got injured in an accident a dolt on the internet, I think it prudent to be clear. Not everyone would understand what he meant.

In any case, dolt or not, I am glad the racer is recovering and willing to share his experiences with others in the interest of safety.

People make assumptions and take short cuts communicating a lot on the internet. In this case I am glad Mr. Raptor clarified his position.
Yea me too cause it wasn't perfectly clear to begin with....

Actually I think my "special" x-wife could have understood his point. Even Tage admits he was a dolt to remove the rear window so there's no reason to defend that action. The guys lucky to be alive. Have you seen his photos he posted on the NASA thread?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 775 Posts

With all due respect, I really didn't need to clarify. Everyone else seemed to understand my point. I just didn't sugar coat it or beat around the bush to avoid "offending" any "sensibilities". That's how I roll...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

And who the hell is "Mr Raptor", anyway? It's freakin' VR fir chrissakes, we all know that....
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gums
And who the hell is "Mr Raptor", anyway? It's freakin' VR fir chrissakes, we all know that....
Where's Kibort when we need him? ....
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
... Even Tage admits he was a dolt to remove the rear window so there's no reason to defend that action. The guys lucky to be alive. Have you seen his photos he posted on the NASA thread?
Yeah I am not defending that action either. Rules may be silent on keeping rear window and in hindsight it was not smart on the hatch back body style. It could be different on a car with trunk. Heck I have see boxsters with hard top and no rear window. Smart? Not sure as the way the air flows under the car back to the rear window are is differnet on boxster vs a square hatch back.

Anyway Tage make 2 mistakes. 1) no balaclava, 2) No rear window. These are clear in hindsight. What he did do right was practice getting out of his car fast. It could have been worse without it. He also ran a fire system and not just handheld bottle. You can see how the firesystem helped buy him a sometime.

I saw and talked with Tage earlier this month at the track. He is generally in good spirits. He has scars on his face that he hopes will heal up and blend away. He probably will have scars on the back of his neck for life. There he just want so to make sure the skin does not tighten up preventing full motion.

The reason Tage chose to share this with racing community is a reminder and learning experience. Fire despite being pretty rare these days can happen when it does it can happen fast. There is a reason racing requires firesuits, but beyond that this sort of incident could happen in DE too. What failed on the car as I have been told was motor mount that when failed allowed the engine to shift. That riped out and oil line dumped oil all over the exhaust starting a fire. That sort of thing could happen in DE just as easily as racing as it was a mechical issue.

How many of you where nomex in DE? How many wear a balaclava even if rules don't require you to do so. How many can get out of their car in 8 seconds full belted in? So while Tage did not do everything right there is still much to learn from this situation. That is the reason it is out here for all of us to see.

BTW.... Tage does not visit this forum much (if at all), but still THANK YOU for share this experience. It will hopefully make us more aware of the risks and our safetey gear and proceedures.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
With all due respect, I really didn't need to clarify. Everyone else seemed to understand my point. I just didn't sugar coat it or beat around the bush to avoid "offending" any "sensibilities". That's how I roll...
Yes I understand your point. No rear window = not smart. Fine lesson learned the hard way.

However lets not let this thread turn into a window pissing match. The issue is fire is very nasty stuff and nevery take it lightly.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Simon Tibbett
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I watched this as I'm in the process of buying some new safety equipment, I won't be cutting corners. Fire is the one thing that really worries me in racing.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Simon Tibbett
Glad I watched this as I'm in the process of buying some new safety equipment, I won't be cutting corners. Fire is the one thing that really worries me in racing.
Check out the Carbon X products too. It's allegedly a superior fire resistant material....
Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A side point here (in addition to wearing a balaclava) is the value of keeping your visor down. This driver was lucky that he was able to flip his down. If he had been unconscious or if he did not have a full-face helmet, it would be a different story. In a closed-cockpit car, I can see the temptation to keep it open since nothing is likely to hit you in the face.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

I can't stand that Carbon-X stuff, it sure looks and feels the part, but I find it impossibly hot to wear and has no breathability, I've gone back to more traditional nomex with far more comfort

Quick Reply: Why We Wear Nomex