Sponsored by:

24 Hours of Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great win for Audi!
But I must say...WTF with Porsches? Flying Lizards did it again-Failed!
Porsche should have came out with at min 4 top tier driver line up to win pro division. Especially since ferraris weren't quite ready with their new 458s this year.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, Porsche is showing their age compared to the competition. Yes, it could be the drivers, but as you look across a bunch of different series, the Porsche is just not keeping up. The various series (Grand Am, ALMS) keep adjusting the rules, but maybe it is time for Porsche to develop a new car?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was funny to hear Liz Halliday calling for Porsche to abandon rear engined cars and build one to suit the ACO regs.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Great win for Audi!
But I must say...WTF with Porsches? Flying Lizards did it again-Failed!
Porsche should have came out with at min 4 top tier driver line up to win pro division. Especially since ferraris weren't quite ready with their new 458s this year.
Time to do your homework, and learn how the odds are stacked against the 997RSR. The 80 team was as good as it gets with regard to talent.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Time to do your homework, and learn how the odds are stacked against the 997RSR. The 80 team was as good as it gets with regard to talent.
Two of Porsche's top guys were in the one of the Audi's.

And please, do explain the odds stacked against the RSR.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I agree that the drivers were not the problem with Porsches in the ALMS. Many of those guys are the best in the business. It is probably two fold; ALMS is writing rules that disadvantage Porsches and Porsche need to add another race car to their lineup. The 911... is just not as competitive against mid-engine V8s or even front engine V8s.
I was hoping they would build the 918 Spyder to run in ALMS, but with twin turbos it is not going to happen. It would seem pretty easy to make the business case for building the Spyder as a race car rather than or in addition to a street Supercar. Volume would be higher over several years as a winning race car than a 1 OFF Supercar.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Two of Porsche's top guys were in the one of the Audi's.

And please, do explain the odds stacked against the RSR.
Restrictor plate sizes, weight, etc. Performance equalization. I also believe the RSR's are the only GT cars built on stock tubs with stock suspension pick up points. Timo and Romain were the top guys in protos @ Porsche. Patrick and Joerg are among, if not tops, in factory GT pilots. Lucas Luhr is one of the top Porsche GT guys in recent history, as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Restrictor plate sizes, weight, etc. Performance equalization. I also believe the RSR's are the only GT cars built on stock tubs with stock suspension pick up points. Timo and Romain were the top guys in protos @ Porsche. Patrick and Joerg are among, if not tops, in factory GT pilots. Lucas Luhr is one of the top Porsche GT guys in recent history, as well.
Ah excellent, thanks for refreshing my memory. Well Porsche just needs to do it right and go for the overall with a new prototype.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pulling for the Lizards or any Porsche for that matter. But it was nice seeing the GT class won by and American Car driven at the hands of a great American driver Tommy Milner. It is hard to watch and not root for American drivers as there are so few in the race. I agree with others posts that the Porsche is not that competitive, they definitely do not have the speed of Ferrari or BMW. But how about a big hell yeah for David Murray!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

BTW ... the "Truth in 24" movie about Audi @ Lemans is currently a free download in the iTunes store (I downloaded it just the other night for free). Open up iTunes, click on Store, click on Movies, click on Documentaries, click on Sports, scroll down until you find the "Truth in 24" documentary and download it.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he means all pros in two cars. I'd push for that too, but I don't own a race team, so I get no say.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
I think he means all pros in two cars. I'd push for that too, but I don't own a race team, so I get no say.
Well, there were some other top tier driver teams. Felbermayr Proton comes to mind-Henzler/Lieb/Lietz. I was in the stands last year there-coulda sworn I saw them win?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Default 997 chassis future

recently, one of my friends, who is a factory shoe for PAG, drove and won in a 458 Italia (on Hankooks) in the VLN, he reported that he had NEVER driven a faster cornering car round the Nordschleife. Given his day job, this was a telling remark and points to an interesting set of future options as far as racing goes for PAG.

For GT racing VAG now has Steel, Aluminium and composite chassis available, depending on the rules. The Al chassis is extraordinarily flexible in terms of length/width/engine position and the composites are getting radically cheaper...

R+C
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1
Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the "AM" category is an awfully dubious title. Nieman, Pompelly and Law? There wasn't a real amatuer amongst them. The same really goes for all the teams. Though it would detract a bit from what we love about Le Mans, I think they would do well to add significantly better lighting in a number of areas of the course. The flashing lights thing really isn't a great system any more.With Hans devices etc. and no spotters, we're going to keep seeing things like Rocky's near disaster.

Quick Reply: 24 Hours of Le Mans