Attention all VIR drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Yes, the "Vallelunga" Profile.

Works well and that is what the letter specifies as being the goal, assuming finances work out.
As you can see I use the apex curb to straighten the turn. That exit curb is one to stay off of. At least in my car I stay off the gators there and just about everywhere at Miller. Kills exit speed bouncing over them and putting two wheels off track (in the dirt) there is mistake not the line.

In my first picture I drive with 2 wheels behind the crub. Profile is flat and there is good pavement there so there is no downside. I do try to keep at least 2 tires on curb at least to not "cut" the course.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by M758

In my first picture I drive with 2 wheels behind the crub. Profile is flat and there is good pavement there so there is no downside.
On your example, I believe you're correct, but I beg to differ on the "no downside" for many other tracks.

In the past three weeks, I've seen three people cut down tires on the inside sidewall or at the joint between the tread face and the sidewall "hooking" the inside tire inside the inside curb.... At two different tracks.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
M758
Race Director

On your example, I believe you're correct, but I beg to differ on the "no downside" for many other tracks.

In the past three weeks, I've seen three people cut down tires on the inside sidewall or at the joint between the tread face and the sidewall "hooking" the inside tire inside the inside curb.... At two different tracks.
my "No downsides" comment applied to that corner only on that track. Every corner is different and presents different risks/challenges. Seeing curb like this there is no downside to cutting it. (provided you don't fall foul of rules relate to course cutting)
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
my "No downsides" comment applied to that corner only on that track. Every corner is different and presents different risks/challenges. Seeing curb like this there is no downside to cutting it. (provided you don't fall foul of rules relate to course cutting)
Agreed. Also agree with your comments regarding Miller, although some cars with well set up remote reservoir suspensions can also use some of the exit curb gators there.

I am not going to comment on VIR since I can see both sides to the issue, and have driven (and coached) the climbing esses both ways. I can definitely appreciate VIR's position on this, although it does sound as if they got some total **** fill dirt recently and it killed some windshields.

Anyway, I will be there for a week starting July 4th.....it will be interesting to see how they police this. And I look forward to meeting Kerrigan!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
M758
Race Director

the interesting thing about curbing in race group is that its configuration does impact your enjoyment of the track. Firebird Main (where my smooth curbing photo comes from) has a number of spots on track where you can really gain time by using the curbs. If you don't use the curbs you will be slower than those that do. So if you race you are pretty much forced into it. In some places those curbs are nasty and bumpy. Not so much as they cause you go slower, but they do beat up the car. After I race there I was feel like beat the car to hell over the curbs. Not my favorite thing to do, but if you are going to race... well you have to go for it.

Places like Miller however have much nicer curbing such that using in places makes the car faster and in others there is little to gain by beating up the car. I tend to like that alot where I can run the car hard not feel like I am having to crash over bumps all the time.

That said it can be really fun to hop over a few curbs from time to time using every inch of the road and then some.

As for VIR I can see their point as track and especially for DE guys. Keep it on the offical track surface. For racing however... If cutting the curb is worth 0.5 seconds go for it. As long as you don't get black flagged or wreck the car push it as far as you can. I think we have all been to tracks that used cones, bollards or other semi-moveable track delineators to keep cars on track surface in chicane. 9 times out of 10 those things get "moved" in few laps and every one goes back to using that bit of non offical track surface. What beating up about the car? Drive a POS that is cheap to fix let her fly!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Barber Motorsports Park is another place where you want to use a LOT of curbs...
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Anyway, I will be there for a week starting July 4th.....it will be interesting to see how they police this. And I look forward to meeting Kerrigan!
You coming in for the Chin/Ferrari event?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I for one am glad they will try to enforce it.
Had a guy in a 325 a few years ago who took the uphill esses in a straight line. I could not get him to understand that he was putting 2 wheels off. He said someone told him that was the fast way through the esses...dumbass...Took him out in my car (similar HP) and took 15 seconds off his best time...

On another note that will cost some big bucks. Do they have it?
lol, with those kind of skill you should look into pro coaching.

Too bad he blamed the track for HIS mistake. Of course, that's too easy.

It's the loose nut behind the wheel. Or "the Auberlen line."

And the fastest line is not "wheels in the dirt," unless you're in a Spec Miata or Spec E30. Especially in a proper race car.

Hats off to Craig Stanton in his video where he drives totally over the dirt in 5A, 6 and 6A, but others are quicker in GT in the same car and don't go off the pavement or existing curbing.

And yes, I was hired to place and consult on the NJMP TBolt curbs. The Lightning curbs are more like the VIR curb design. I placed the VIR curbs in 1999 and they're fine. It's a driver's issue...

I agree the policy is unwieldy and puts the onus on the F&C folks instead of the event organizer, where it should be. But you should approach Kerrigan.

He's a good Director of Track Operations and he's trying to look out for ALL the track users. He's also always open to discussion.

I speak in NO OFFICIAL CAPACITY at VIR. YMMV.
Peter, this is what I consider a "dirt" line.

http://vimeo.com/10887590

As long as VIR doesn't use the Road America curbing, I hate those things.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
You coming in for the Chin/Ferrari event?
Chin on July 4-5. Didn't know it was also a Ferrari event. PBOC for July 8-10. I have two days to kill in between, so i think I will do a bunch of karting & messing around with the o'Gara tactical driving folks on site.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Chin on July 4-5. Didn't know it was also a Ferrari event. PBOC for July 8-10. I have two days to kill in between, so i think I will do a bunch of karting & messing around with the o'Gara tactical driving folks on site.
Yeah, I hear Chin is hosting a Ferrari Club race around lunch time. I'll be there with the Miata acting as a rolling chicane.
Swing on by end-of day for a cold one.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Yeah, I hear Chin is hosting a Ferrari Club race around lunch time. I'll be there with the Miata acting as a rolling chicane.
Swing on by end-of day for a cold one.
Sure will! Where will you be?

A.....race? Wow....
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A.....race? Wow....
Yep. They did that at Sebring in April. Thirty Challenge cars. Pretty cool.

See you there.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SG_M3

Yep.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by SG_M3

Those curbs are begging to be used and abused. However you can easily hook a wheel behind on causing damage and must always watch the dirt as surface can change causing damage. The solution is proper curbing there or proper back-up behind the curbs. Bigger curbs will limit the ability to run over them slowing lap times and forcing the drivers to follow the course layout more. Backing up the curbs will make it easier/safer to straddle the curbs making the sectio more flowing and faster. However it may encourage even more liberal curb hopping.

Seems like VIR will come-up with something. Some will love it and some will hate it. In the end it will be the same course for everyone and you guys will adapt.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yep. They did that at Sebring in April. Thirty Challenge cars. Pretty cool.

See you there.
Ah you're gonna be there? Excellent! I thought you were gonna be in Canada? Maybe I remembered wrong..

Quick Reply: Attention all VIR drivers