Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Turbo vs. E46M3 at Pacific Raceways

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Fun vids. It's interesting to watch the racing lines used, since I've only run the "DE line". That's a whole new ballgame! What kind of lap times do you guys run at PR?

I have to agree with some of the sentiment posted - PR has some narrow, and unforgiving corners, with no run-out. There just isn't much room to get away with mistakes. An 'off' is usually going to be costly. I guess that's what happens when they cut a track out of a forest.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:52 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iridium
Wait who won?

BTW here's your old car ;-)
I won by a couple feet. I wasn't sure at the time either.

When are you gonna come play with us? A 951 can fit the class well.

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Congratulations Eric!! That was a lot of fun to watch. It seemed like your car was a bit stronger in the area of the start finish line right where you needed it! It seemed like you maybe had better gearing for the long straight section?
My car does have a high speed advantage. Not sure if it is gearing, aero or both. The 968 definitely has less frontal area than a e46 with a wide body kit. The M3 punches a nice hole in the air, you can feel it! He doesn't have a problem keeping up on that part of the track when he is right behind me so I'd say a good part is the draft.

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Fun vids. It's interesting to watch the racing lines used, since I've only run the "DE line". That's a whole new ballgame! What kind of lap times do you guys run at PR?

I have to agree with some of the sentiment posted - PR has some narrow, and unforgiving corners, with no run-out. There just isn't much room to get away with mistakes. An 'off' is usually going to be costly. I guess that's what happens when they cut a track out of a forest.
The 2nd lap of that race was a new personal best for me, 1:31.9. Most laps in that race were in the 1:33s.

No matter how many times I've been thru the Turn 5-6 complex it always worth a pucker. If you don't respect it, you soon will.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Two very different cars. Aero or CD seems to have a definite influence. So you won huh? Didn't look like it in the video but it was impossible to tell. Great going.

btw, what's stopping you from raising the boost? Do they do spot inspections with a dyno?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
btw, what's stopping you from raising the boost? Do they do spot inspections with a dyno?
Because it would be cheating. Currently, there are not enough Pwr to Weight classes to justify having a dyno at the track, but yes your car could be taken to a dyno.

There are other classes I could run if I wanted to test my ability to create/buy horsepower. I just don't have the will or the budget for that.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_k
Because it would be cheating.
+1.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Good footage, thank you for sharing Eric. Still running the same turbo & engine management as last year?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

But of course! Vitesse Vflex Stg 3 on a stock 951 engine.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Good job!!! Do you have short gear or a short diff?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

great racing!!!! Its SO much fun when you have an evenly matched opponent!!! You drive to the strengths of your car and they do the same.....in the end it makes for some great racing!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Nope. Stock 968 tranny.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

yeah at some point I'll get it out there. It's still full weight and such so that and no aero would kinda lag ;-) I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd have liked to over the past little bit, but I'm getting a handle on it and am getting the car sorted (reliability wise). I've just been beating on it with SCCA and flying around to run other cars with people I know.

How many cars are you getting out to the grids anyway?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_k
Because it would be cheating. Currently, there are not enough Pwr to Weight classes to justify having a dyno at the track, but yes your car could be taken to a dyno.

There are other classes I could run if I wanted to test my ability to create/buy horsepower. I just don't have the will or the budget for that.
Oh, I wasn't advocating to cheat, just wondered on what regs there were and if you were at your limit p/w wise.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The video from race-keeper looked aweful. But that looks like a really fun track.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iridium
yeah at some point I'll get it out there. It's still full weight and such so that and no aero would kinda lag ;-) I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd have liked to over the past little bit, but I'm getting a handle on it and am getting the car sorted (reliability wise). I've just been beating on it with SCCA and flying around to run other cars with people I know.

How many cars are you getting out to the grids anyway?
You can always turn up the boost to get the power to match the weight. There are still new cars coming online but we should have 8-10 cars in class at the next Portland race.

Originally Posted by 333pg333;
Oh, I wasn't advocating to cheat, just wondered on what regs there were and if you were at your limit p/w wise.
Gotcha - yes I'm close to the limit for the class. I'm already running at over 2900lbs and I don't want to add any more weight so I can't add any more power.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Interested on your take with the stock 968 gearing and the 3L 8v turbo Eric? I am going to be running similar but with larger turbo and more boost available and I've had people offering different opinions on gearing. Some say to keep it stock so that you can access the meat of the turbo where others say to make it a bit taller to take advantage of longer time building torque. Would you change if you had the choice?

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo vs. E46M3 at Pacific Raceways