Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie - Tire Strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great input, being a sponge and trying to absorb it all, all about learning.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Speaking of qualifying strategy.... I always try to be the first one to grid or damn close because I want to get it done on the first hot lap if possible. .
It can be tough to do that and if you drive a slower car like me pointless. The last place I want to be is gridded in front of all the faster class cars. I will then spend all the laps letting the faster guys through. So for me I have to pick a spot in space where it have few faster cars in front, but not the fast in a straight line only types as they wil kill my corner speed.

As a rookie... don't worry about that... Just show up and try to run some good laps being aware of who is comeing and when. It is nice to allow some one else room to get by cleanly if you are not on a flyer. Use point bys as it can help the other guy know you see him comming so that way he can stay on the power minimizing any impact to his lap time. At the same time if you are on the hot flying lap don't pull over either. Yeah qualfying can be very tough to master.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
It can be tough to do that and if you drive a slower car like me pointless. The last place I want to be is gridded in front of all the faster class cars. I will then spend all the laps letting the faster guys through. So for me I have to pick a spot in space where it have few faster cars in front, but not the fast in a straight line only types as they wil kill my corner speed.

As a rookie... don't worry about that... Just show up and try to run some good laps being aware of who is comeing and when. It is nice to allow some one else room to get by cleanly if you are not on a flyer. Use point bys as it can help the other guy know you see him comming so that way he can stay on the power minimizing any impact to his lap time. At the same time if you are on the hot flying lap don't pull over either. Yeah qualfying can be very tough to master.
Joe I agree. What I was trying to emphasize was the importance of finding your niche amongst the other cars. I used my car as an example but your explanation makes it clearer.....
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Speaking of qualifying strategy.... I always try to be the first one to grid or damn close because I want to get it done on the first hot lap if possible. I know who's faster than me and who's not, and my competitors know where I fit. So I'll point by anyone on the out lap who I know is faster as I don't want them behind me. Conversly, I don't want to be held up so I stay as close as possible to the fastest cars. When we go hot onto the straight I'm then in good position to run at least 1 unhindered hot lap, maybe even 2....
Exactly, its funny, there is usually a race before qual to see who can get to the grid first lol

A lot of the time much faster cars on slicks take a lap or two to come up. A car on r comps is up to temp in 4 hard corners or so, people just need to work together to get the best qual laps for everyone.

Biggest hint: Qual is not a race, its not a practice session. Don't race anyone, back off and find you a clear space, don't go out there and do the whole session.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

My friend runs 3-4 quali laps and comes in. He knows his target time for each track. He hits it and pits, adjusts tire pressures hot and is ready to start the race. He never stays out for the session.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Exactly, its funny, there is usually a race before qual to see who can get to the grid first lol

A lot of the time much faster cars on slicks take a lap or two to come up. A car on r comps is up to temp in 4 hard corners or so, people just need to work together to get the best qual laps for everyone.

Biggest hint: Qual is not a race, its not a practice session. Don't race anyone, back off and find you a clear space, don't go out there and do the whole session.
Two things to take note of based on the PCA races I've been in...

1) Gridding for qual may be determined by lap times in a prior practice session. Be sure you don't get DQ'd due to weight, etc in that practice session or you'll find yourself gridding at the back of the pack (especially painful for an enduro).

2) On the out lap for qual, it is a green flag.

Rookie advice from me? I ran my first year with Toyo's to get comfortable 'racing'. In the second year started the move to Hohos...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pete
If on a budget and can't afford new set of tires each race weekend, I'd have a set of wheels with Hoosiers for Quali ONLY. If you're not in the front of the pack, then use a Nitto NT-01 or Toyos for the race. If you are close to the front of the pack then you almost have to use the Hoosiers for sprint race to stay up front.

If the goal is to set the fastest lap possible then the Hoosier set should last you several race weekends for qualifying only. Lap times during a race usually are slower than qualifying thus the use of lesser tires.

All older tires used for practice.

For an enduro, go with an NT-01.

Once again this is for a person on a budget
Pick a tire and stick to it, different tires are going to require different setups.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Strongly agreed about not running the whole qualifying session, but with two notable exceptions:
  • If its your first time at the track and you're still learning and getting faster with every lap.
  • If it just stopped raining and the track is drying up your fastest lap will be the last one of the session.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Dry track. We must be a whole bunch of really bad drovers.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
M758
Race Director

To counter you....

First one on a new track. Second one on a often visited track. Sure it is not hard and fast, but in general it holds.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Dry track and summertime temps in Southeast.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I think my results I posted above probably had as much to do with everyone doing the last race of the year and just using up whatever tires they had. I know mine had so many heat cycle marks, I quit marking them. However, I often notice my fastest laps are late in the race or practice session. Maybe it takes me longer to wind my car up to speed.

these results don't count because I can tell by the lap times, the track had to have been wet.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what good posting all these mylaps shots is, or what it is in reference to.

Of course these are just general thoughts, if you are new to a track then running all the laps you can will obviously help more than the degradation in tires.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM
M758
Race Director

I'm not sure what good posting all these mylaps shots is, or what it is in reference to.

Of course these are just general thoughts, if you are new to a track then running all the laps you can will obviously help more than the degradation in tires.
Qualfying sessions. Fast lap # vs total laps run in the session.

So it is try to support when most guys set thier fast lap.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Dry track. We must be a whole bunch of really bad drovers.
Or slow learners? .....

Quick Reply: Rookie - Tire Strategy?