Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing in the rain video :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 11:28 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Default Racing in the rain video :-)

The great equalizer! Nothing like passing $250K of cars in one corner with a $10K one

http://www.vimeo.com/23853764
Old 05-17-2011 | 11:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Boy, that's wet. I like how you pass the red car by going underneath at the beginning... (looks like the camera is even with his axle!)

I bet that blue 924 at 3:22 is cursing how much power he's putting down.

That yellow and black car looks like a pretty good driver. He recovers well from a lot of slides.
Old 05-18-2011 | 01:46 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

The great equalizer indeed!

Why the great equalizer can even let you get the pole in qualifying at Road America over hundreds of thousands of dollars in faster cars.

But then the sun comes out a couple hours before your race goes green...

Back to reality by Turn 5.
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2011 | 03:24 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thats not wet, this is wet!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jok3Wl4QcoE
Old 05-18-2011 | 09:31 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I don't mean to pick on you at all Mark, but...

what's with the hand living on the shifter?
Old 05-18-2011 | 09:42 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
The great equalizer! Nothing like passing $250K of cars in one corner with a $10K one

Great driving. I do love racing in the wet - so nice to have a well balanced low hp car when it gets wet. Well done not spinning on the off, shows a touch of experience.
Old 05-18-2011 | 11:14 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

What's with all those keys dangling on your right leg, Mark? That would drive me nuts!
Old 05-18-2011 | 11:28 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

The yellow & black car is driven by Neal Agran, another R'lister. He turned the fastest wet lap, and we traded wins this weekend. It's was all down to who made less mistakes on that given day. The TM data was really fascinating to compare (though the G's and speeds were pretty depressing!)

It takes a while to wrap your brain around the wet line, and it's usually riding around the edge of the track - fast (relatively speaking), but not much room to recover if things go wrong. It really makes you work on smooth throttle and brake application. I realized I had fallen into some bad habits that way, and it was a good wake up call, when Neal drove away from me in the wet the first day. The other crazy part is coming to be comfortable having faith that there is grip out on the edge, when the car crosses the dry line - feels like you hit a patch of ice! So every lap, at several corners, its a moment of slip & slide - (make sure the car stays straight), and wait for the grip to reappear before you slide off the edge . This is the track I crashed at two year ago when it just started to rain, and I was suprised by one of those slick spots, but it's good to be back "in the saddle" there.

Pole in the rain at RA takes *****, Mike! Congrats. I've run an enduro in torrential rains there, and it's pretty intimidating, with the speeds & walls everywhere. I remember picking up 3 spots under double yellow, as people were sliding off, even at those speeds.
Old 05-18-2011 | 11:33 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Driving hard in the rain IS the absolute best hombre!

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I do love racing in the wet - so nice to have a well balanced low hp car when it gets wet.
Especially in something British. The two just go hand-in-hand.

Old 05-18-2011 | 11:37 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That track is out by Joliet, IL yes?

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc

Know a couple of folks that run that in their Lotus cars. You like the place?
Old 05-18-2011 | 12:23 PM
krystar
Drifting

the vid is putnam park sorta near indianpolis.
autobahn is in joliet, il

cool vid eric. so was it at least liquid rain? not sleet like last month at autobahn? hehe
Old 05-18-2011 | 12:25 PM
M758
Race Director

March of 2010 I qualfied 2nd overall in mixed group in my 944 spec car. Rain level was extreme and there was a 30 foot wide river we had to cross each lap. The 944 did great in the wet and the only car faster was a Mini with hoosier rain tires on. Evering thing else includeing host of "fast" cars were all slower. By race time it had stopped raining and was still wet. In that race I never got close to passing the mini, but the only car to catch me was the viper on rain tires. I got the race on viedo, but not qualifying. Should have got qualiy on camera as that was some hairy stuff.

Fun stuff....
Old 05-18-2011 | 01:32 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

Eric, glad to see that our national director is out schooling rookies on bump drafting in the rain!

I raced with Joe that day in the rain and fortunately my car broke in qualifying and I had a graceful reason for not running, because that lake he talks about scare the **** out of me. As a result, I got to watch the whole race and it was absolutely awesome to watch Joe running away from every car in the field except the SU Viper, which was driven by Mark Alger, a multiple-class NASA race and TT national champion. It was even more awesome considering it was the only race in the rain in Phoenix in the last five years.
Old 05-18-2011 | 02:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Great driving! Looks like not many cars had rain tires OR that's the slickest track surface I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
The great equalizer indeed!

Why the great equalizer can even let you get the pole in qualifying at Road America over hundreds of thousands of dollars in faster cars.

But then the sun comes out a couple hours before your race goes green...

Back to reality by Turn 5.
I didn't even make it to turn one before reality set in at the Glen in 2000. I qualified on the outside pole of the 40 car group of C, D, E, GT4 and GT3 cars in my Green '73RS E car.

Old 05-18-2011 | 02:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

broken linkage, have to make sure i know where it is, so i know where it is going to go

Originally Posted by KaiB
I don't mean to pick on you at all Mark, but...

what's with the hand living on the shifter?

Quick Reply: Racing in the rain video :-)