Sponsored by:

STOLEN truck, trailer and race car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
I wonder if a cheap up front way of preventing theft is putting on a sticker on the truck driver window and door of trailer noting that the truck and trailer have a hidden GPS device that will immediately notify owner if the vehicle is moved. Shallow threat but most criminals are not that smart and it might scare them away - akin to the house with the S&W security system sticker / sign at the doorway.
Hmmm. I see a business plan forming. 100,000 stickers at $.25 each= $25,000. Sell them at truck stops and auto parts stores all around the country for $4 wholesale, $6 retail. Those are pretty damn good margins...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
P-nache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in for that!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - this would not work if it became popular in a commercial sense. But here on our board where it is likely the thieves never check - maybe a good idea for the racing community to make up a bunch of these stickers. I call copyright on my idea!!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Was done years ago by a former chair of PCA CR program. "Mobile HIV Testing Station" I beleive it said.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
P-nache
Instructor

Truck found in Arvada, CO.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by P-nache
Truck found in Arvada, CO.
Wahoo!!! I hope its OK...
Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 PM
P-nache
Instructor

Thanks, Kai. Me, too. Get to see it Monday. A long-time, wonderful friend, David Hoover, let me borrow the truck, then it got stolen with everything else. Throughout, David was saying, "It's just a truck; it can be replaced. We've got to get your race car back! That can't just be replaced at the local dealer." So, when we got the word that the truck had been found, but worse for the wear, I said to him, "Hey, David, if we can get it cleaned up in time, can I borrow it for next weekend's PCA DE at High Plains Raceway?" He said, "Sure." I said, "You're amazing!" What a buddy!!!! But, I ain't taking the chance; got to rent something or find something to buy between now and then.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
P-nache
Instructor

BTW, have been researching GPS and radio trackers. Bought a Brickhouse Spark Nano since it has a 6-month battery so it could protect a vehicle not always getting power (like the trailer or the race car with the battery cut-off pulled). LoJack still intrigues me for our needs. The Nano is GPS so it has to have close to line-of-sight to the satellites. (Customer Service says it can be placed under the trailer, for example, and the signal will bounce off the ground up to the satellites, but getting through metal is generally a problem and underground or in buildings will adversely affect signal til the vehicle surfaces again). I've been carrying it around in my car and when I've got the car in the underground parking at my office, no signal. Also, when I ping it on my computer for its location, the address showing up is close, but hasn't been right yet. At home, for instance, it comes up about two houses away on the street behind me. LoJack is low-frequency radio based that transmits to the police radios, however, you have to learn that the vehicle is gone/stolen and call to activate the signal. You can't just ping it from your computer or smart phone to check on it. LoJack does offer an Early Warning System (for $300) that will send an alert to 5 places (eg, phone, computer, text, other people you select). Then, you check on the vehicle and, if stolen, activate LoJack and the police get the notice and can start tracing. The LoJack costs $695 including install, but you can get a fleet discount of a $100 if you buy 2 or more. No discount on the EWS with multiple purchases. Best thing is, it's a 1-time fee with no monthly subscription. Nano is $399 to buy, $69.95 activation plus $33.25/month monthly IF you buy a year subscription at purchase. Doesn't take long for LoJack to be more economical, but you can move one Nano from one vehicle to another. LoJack is vehicle-specific, can be sold with the vehicle and new owner can register to them for $99 and they say Kelly Blue Book/NADA, etc. add value for having it. Some feel LoJack is older technology and the the inability to construct a geofence (where you get alerted if the Nano/other GPS trackers sense the vehicle has been moved out of a boundary you have set for it with your computer) makes it archaic, but EWS that LoJack has sort of does the same; if it moves at all, you get the 5 alerts.

I wonder what our community's thoughts, opinions and suggestions are?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm guessing if it's been sitting all weekend with fire extinguisher sprayed all over the interior he's not going to want that truck back. That's nasty stuff and it will cause anything it touches to corrode. The truck will probably always have weird electrical problems.

Quick Reply: STOLEN truck, trailer and race car!