Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance for a Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to offering ontrack insurance, Lockton Affinity now offers STP coverage as well. In my case STP coverage of $25k (car, tools, spares & trailer) resulted in an annual premium of $287 which I thought was reasonable.

http://pca-tsp.locktonaffinity.com/
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
Fooshe,

FWIW, I have competition insurance through Laurel Consulting Group. Has served well.
I also have Hagerty for some collector vehicles and fortunately have never had to make a claim.

Does Hagerty insure for theft on the limited NON ON-track insurance policy you describe? i.e. trailer, tools, spares and race car stolen from track or storage location? If theft and/or storage location is in Canada?
TIA
The answer is yes, they do if the loss is in the USA and in Canada.

They offer the STP coverage for the thefts at the track, but it is limited to the specific items listed in the policy. On the basic form, only the race car is covered. You can add the trailer for physical damage only coverage by endorsement, if you choose. However, becareful about assuming that the coverage extends to all your stuff.

For example, your suit, helmet, gloves, hans, etc. is part of your personal property coverage you would get through your homeowners, condo or tenants policy. Now the spares, tools and the like are also not covered by the policy; however it is available by endorsement with either a scheduled property list or a blanket coverage endorsement. That being said, you have to realize that the coverage is compromised if the loss takes place away from your home and at the track. If it does, the coverage usually drops down to 10% of the coverage limit on the policy while away from the residence premises/physical policy address....which is exactly what your personal property policy says.

Furthermore, you have to remember that there are different exclusions state by state. So some questions can have State specific answers. However, none of what I am talking about here does.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more you want.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian A.
In addition to offering ontrack insurance, Lockton Affinity now offers STP coverage as well. In my case STP coverage of $25k (car, tools, spares & trailer) resulted in an annual premium of $287 which I thought was reasonable.

http://pca-tsp.locktonaffinity.com/
As I stated earlier...Lockton Affinity is a great policy and Ryan does a very good job with it. I also like using them for specific types of risks.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I use Heacock for transport, storage and theft for my track car. Very reasonable rates, $500.00 for agreed upon value of $37k.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone clarify what transit means? meaning when you drive it to the track or when its being towed to the track?

i have a hargerty policy as well for guaranteed value. but i never thought they had a policy that would insure the car for damages incurred on the track.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarian06
can someone clarify what transit means? meaning when you drive it to the track or when its being towed to the track?

i have a hargerty policy as well for guaranteed value. but i never thought they had a policy that would insure the car for damages incurred on the track.
It means when your car is being transported to the track on or in a trailer. It generally does not provide coverage while the car is under it's own power, though Lockton Affinity does cover you while driving on or off your trailer.

Also I believe in many cases you cannot get STP coverage if the car is registered for the street.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that answers things then. i have to drive my car to events (hence registered with dmv). i better be careful on the track then!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian A.
It means when your car is being transported to the track on or in a trailer. It generally does not provide coverage while the car is under it's own power, though Lockton Affinity does cover you while driving on or off your trailer.

Also I believe in many cases you cannot get STP coverage if the car is registered for the street.

Brian, the first part of this is correct. However believe that your vehicle's registered for the street is not a factor for STP coverage. If it is, this is the first I have heard about it and I deal with Hagerty, Grudny, etc. for some time now. Furthermore, Lockton will cover you on track for physical damage coverage, only.

Bavarian, you have to be careful when assuming or dismissing coverage. The number one reason is because it is not all States react the same. Some States don't recognize the track exclusion and some do. Now the carrier may not want to admit it, but they won't be able to enforce their policy exclusion if the State Dept. of Insurance won't recognize it. Hagerty is usually pretty honest about their policy and coverage enforecement. I suggest you call and speak with your agent, or hagerty directly a their customer service line, and get the information on how your policy reacts in your State.

I can tell you this, you might be surprised depending on where you live. DO NOT just take a blanket answer on a forum. While the comments are sent with good intention, they are often based on personal opinions and not on facts. Let's face it, when it comes right down to it, are you going use "But the guy on Rennlist who lives in a different State told me so." as your defense if you get into trouble?

Quick Reply: Insurance for a Race Car