Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is going from CR to DE really that complicated?.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011 | 04:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Francis? Who is this Francis?
Yeah, I forget the culture difference. Check out the movie "Stripes".

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-06-2011 | 04:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I kind of like this one better........

edited.....
Old 05-06-2011 | 04:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes it's a good scene, but not in context with this topic.
Old 05-06-2011 | 04:22 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

+ 1 on the HORN, keep it on down the pit strait so eneryone can see you being held up.
Old 05-06-2011 | 04:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chaos
+ 1 on the HORN, keep it on down the pit strait so eneryone can see you being held up.
LOL! I would *LOVE* to see somebody do that.
Old 05-06-2011 | 04:36 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Very effective when your role playing with a potential instructor candidate. Beside hitting the windshield wiper the hitting the horn and swerving is a good way to see if someone is ready to take control of a student. Paolo read my post on the chain of command again. Just accept it and you will still have fun and stay under the radar. Don't forget that DE's are one of the few times you can a passenger in the car for feedback. Use it to your advantage.
Old 05-06-2011 | 04:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Paolo
No need to be unhappy here; still friends and I admire your accomplishments. I'd be happy if I could do what you do. I doubt I would be as successful.
I hope this post doesn't jeopardize that friendship as I respond in public. If it does, the beer's on me.
A few thoughts (responding to your post to me, #42), all intended as a friend:
"Rick, please read post #33......." I did, actually, and was glad to see it. Still, the thread was started (and you are entitled to post threads like this if you like).

"I do take offense on the Enzo comment, so let me just add......." Sorry; how would that offend you? Enzo refers to a topic that has been posted over and over; I'm pretty sure you've posted before about racers driving in DE and that you find it frustrating.

"Instructors can make fun of students not getting it......" Not this instructor; I don't approve of that at all.

"Everyone can cast judgment on the videos of the mistakes I or other racers have posted......." Not me, Paolo. I admire posts that seek constructive advice.

"But God forbid anything is said about the a Red run group driver......." I don't disagree that you had a beef, but I (personally) would leave it in the pits.

"It seems drivers with instructor status are untouchable, the end all be all of drivers....." I don't see how you drew that conclusion; you seemed to get a lot of support for the bad manners of the Red driver. But there are lots of drivers out there that could be better, including me. Who amongst us hasn't been preoccupied with something going on and suddenly found another car in the mirror? (but never for more than a whole lap!)
I agree with all of your criticism of the driver; I don't get why it rises to the level of a frustrated Rennlist post and an implied (perhaps unintentional) comparison of racers and instructors.
I get it - racers have skills that some instructors don't have.
Can I still count on you for coffee?
Old 05-06-2011 | 05:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Rick, please read post #33.......

I do take offense on the Enzo comment, so let me just add.......

Instructors can make fun of students not getting it......

Everyone can cast judgment on the videos of the mistakes I or other racers have posted.......

But God forbid anything is said about the a Red run group driver.......

It seems drivers with instructor status are untouchable, the end all be all of drivers.....

If the mods feel like shutting this thread down, be my guest and just sweep it under the Red rug.......
What, another Boston-d-ME thread not going your way? Since when have instructors not been fair game here? Many of us here are instructors and fellow drovers and are in fact humans under the tough handsome fearless surface.

Not getting a pass and having to race to the corner after getting a point are timeless DE issues. I think the first time it came up was just after the second wheel was invented. Non issue, red DEracer is past history.
when is your car going to be ready?
Old 05-06-2011 | 05:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Rick, first let me say that I respect all the instructors out there. Without some of them (you included) I wouldn't be here today.......

Racing doesn't take any special skills that a good instructor doesn't already have, heck if they allowed me to race, they will allow just about anybody.....

My whole point of this thread was (and I probably was not clear) that it was the first time that I got approached by a driver and then admonished by the CI for something that I didn't think was worth the aggravation...... so I didn't see this thread as an Enzo Ferrari......

Anyway, PM me with some available dates so we can further discuss this over a glass of wine......
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'll take the over at 6 pages
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Paolo, what were the rules for that DE? Passing only on the straights, passing anywhere? That would shed the right light on your question. If it was pass only on the straights, then yeah he was a douche for not lifting but so are you for passing in the corner
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Bob - from post #25 -

Rules of the day were: passing anywhere with a signal except at the apex....
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'll take the over at 6 pages
I'll post this just to help you win something, Gary.

As for you Kurt M: "tough handsome fearless". Surely you meant racers?
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:37 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I am holding to 10 pages Gary. Some people are not home from work yet. BTW Paolo just remember that if you had never gone to a DE event it is unlikely you would ever have raced. So keep that perspective.
Old 05-06-2011 | 06:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
BTW Paolo just remember that if you had never gone to a DE event it is unlikely you would ever have raced. So keep that perspective.
What you are saying is that anyone can race, but not anyone can instruct.......

I agree with that.... anybody can apply for a racing license, but only few are selected to become instructors......

Quick Reply: Is going from CR to DE really that complicated?.......