Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is going from CR to DE really that complicated?.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is going from CR to DE really that complicated?.......

At a recent DE event I participated at, I have had a very interesting experience……

I had signed up for a DE with my garage queen (CaymanS) just to get the feel of the track again after a long winter and while waiting for my racecar to be ready……..

It just happened that the Black and Red groups were combined……..not a problem there….

In the second driving session, I get stuck behind someone for at least a lap……fine, maybe he didn’t see me......

Finally I get a pass signal, I take it on the outside only to wind up side by side into the turn, the apex and track out…….

OK, no big deal……onto the next car……..

Well, in the paddock the red driver approaches me and tells me that first I was too close to his bumper (too aggressive) and then I should have not taken that pass, (the one he pointed me by)…….

He continued to say that he assumed that since I didn’t pass him at "Cup Car speeds" I had aborted the pass…… and thus it was his corner……

I might me wrong, but you drag me around for a lap and I might be "close" to your bumper just in case you have visibility issues…….

Plus, if you give me a pass you probably should lift slightly to make sure that both of us get it done safely……… without racing me to the corner.....

What do I have wrong so far?.......

Anyway, my answers didn’t satisfy him so here comes the CI, telling me that it wasn’t a very smart move on my part to take the turn side by side……

Is it the norm for a red run group driver to get bent out of shape for having to take a turn side by side after holding somebody around for a lap, eventually pointing him by and then proceed to drag race him to the corner?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Is it the norm for a red run group driver to get bent out of shape for having to take a turn side by side after holding somebody around for a lap, eventually pointing him by and then proceed to drag race him to the corner?
It happens. Some people just have very very very very small attachments.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to hear your answer (response to him)...

honestly, how did you answer?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

At a recent DE event I participated at, I have had a very interesting experience……

Red just means the person has been made an instructor, doesn't mean he is a good driver, doesn't mean he is a good instructor. Sometimes it just shows how hard up a region is for volunteers.... not to say that this particular region was.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Red just means the person has been made an instructor, doesn't mean he is a good driver, doesn't mean he is a good instructor. Sometimes it just shows how hard up a region is for volunteers.... not to say that this particular region was.
It was you, wasn't it?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what was said in the drivers meeting.

If they said that you need to give up on the pass if it isn't going to happen and you'll be side by side you were in the wrong.

If they said it's two part pass, one the driver in front needs to make it happen too, he's also in the wrong.

Remember it's a DE, if you're held up for a lap and it won't end soon, take a pit drive through, talk to the CI afterwards about the guy who can't use his mirrors and drag races down the straights.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If he gave you a point-by, he should lift and let you pass if you do not wave it off. I would have told him that he is an idiot and bitch slapped him
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It was you, wasn't it?
Yup.. and as I haven't seen you since the Glen and the only image in my head is a black leather *** and big red lips... if I were you I would be extra careful with me behind you at the track....
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to self in the future.... Going from Club Racing back to DE requires very low expectations for an overall pleasurable experience. I've done it twice and had pretty bad experiences. I was considering doing it again this weekend to get some seat time and the guy that does track support for me said that I told him last time to refuse to take me if i asked him to ever again....
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I guess we are lucky down here at Barber. I tend to only instruct with the local PCA, BMWCCA, and Chin. The instructor run group is great with all of these groups. We are also spoiled in that all of them are pass anywhere with a point by. If an instructor is not comfortable with that they can drive in the advanced DE group.

In addition, both PCA and Chin allow instructors to go out anytime as long as they play by the run group rules. Heart of Dixie BMWCCA gives one or two free passes each day to instructors in addition to their run group.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is one of my pet peaves. Why don't people realize they are on a "race track" where people pass other people? This is not high tea with the queen.

The only problem you did wrong is not go to the CI first. It seems the first to complain is the first to be placated.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think Boston wasn't used to actually catching anyone and wasn't sure of the correct protocol of passing vs. being very aware of what to do when being passed...

Had to do it buddy!

Last edited by Gary R.; 05-06-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

At a recent DE event......... Is it the norm for a red run group driver to get bent out of shape for having to take a turn side by side after holding somebody around for a lap, eventually pointing him by and then proceed to drag race him to the corner?
I'm suprised no one else has seen the obvious answer here.....clearly, he was driving FLAT-OUT; and frankly there is just no way to win your DE if you come OT to let someone by......

I suggest you go back to racing, and stay away from DE's until you think you can handle the superheated, competitive, wheel to wheel action!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens all the time in all clubs. Human nature. It sucks to get stuck behind a wheeled wall. Have you not gotten experience in dealing with this yet? Heck I used to get stuck behind missing mirror cars in a 912. Ignore if infrequent. Inform the CI if chronic. Make it a game if you like. Lay back off to make a gap and see how fast you can reel Capt. Slow in, repeat adding to the gap each time.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You got a horn don't you!!?

Seriously I couldn't agree more. Half the time these guys don't even have their window open to signal. Then they pull strange lines at slow speed and you think they're giving you the pass, only to speed up as you try to go around. The problem is just as much the fault of the guys running these mid week days. They hardly ever seem to discuss passing and mirrors. The option down here is to pay for these so called 'Race school' days that are low numbers and only populated by fast and experienced cars/guys. Problem is that we are charged $500+ for the pleasure! Yup...it's an expensive hobby....

Quick Reply: Is going from CR to DE really that complicated?.......