VIR Grand Am May 14

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VIR Grand Am May 14

Anyone?

Turns out we'll be visiting my wife's friends in Greensboro next weekend, and I'm tasked with figuring out what to do with her husband (+ not-quite-teen sons) for that Saturday. No big deal for me, and the husband would get 1% of a clue as to what I do on my lowly level at the track.

Yes, I've been to VIR and driven it.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

So whats the question????
Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

My mistake, I'll rephrase: Is anyone attending the Grand Am race at Virginia International Raceway on May 14 as either a spectator or an entrant?

(Rest of the post was to set the stage that I'd be there with first timers to any track event, which we know can be overwhelming; and that even though I'm from the opposite side of the country I've been on track there, so it's not a "bucket list" deal.)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

If the event has track touring for charity over the weekend, I've found newcomers love that. Especially when you tell them what speed the race cars are likely doing through each section.

Also a great Pro Coach is based out of VIR, Peter Krause. He's a frequent contributor to this board (RL nom de guerre of Lolaman), and a Rennlist Sponsor. Maybe you can look him up. A terrific guy.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seth Thomas and James Clay are on here and will be in their GS BMW. Can't remember if the guys running the Bimmerworld ST cars are on here. I'm pretty sure David White is (dmwhite)

BGB guys will be there in their Caymans and are on here.

I'm sadly out of town that weekend otherwise I'd be in the SRF races. A couple of the guys in that series are lurkers here.

I'm not sure if Peter will actually be there or if he has another vintage event at a different track.

FWIW if you choose one day Saturday would be the one as it has the Grand Am races and goes until about 8PM fitting in everything else.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Seth Thomas and James Clay are on here and will be in their GS BMW. Can't remember if the guys running the Bimmerworld ST cars are on here. I'm pretty sure David White is (dmwhite)

BGB guys will be there in their Caymans and are on here.

I'm sadly out of town that weekend otherwise I'd be in the SRF races. A couple of the guys in that series are lurkers here.

I'm not sure if Peter will actually be there or if he has another vintage event at a different track.

FWIW if you choose one day Saturday would be the one as it has the Grand Am races and goes until about 8PM fitting in everything else.
We will be there along with David White (DMWhite). Come by the BimmerWorld trailer and I will give your buddy and son a tour around the team and the cars. We can give them the first hand experience that will make them fans for life. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,211 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I know you'll have a great time at VIR! Seth Thomas and Dave White at the BimmerWorld tent will show you and your family a great time! Please also look up Tom Long at the Freedom Autosport Mazda team. Use my name.

I'm headed to the Glen this weekend and at Summit Point the following weekend so I'll miss the GA event at my home track, but it's an awesome event and people are really, really friendly there.

Best, Peter
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

I was intentional being a bit obtuse…. 

VIR is such a good spectator track, fortunately/unfortunately attendance is pretty slim, so plenty of good viewing sites and opportunity to get up close without feeling like herded cattle.

Unfortunately we have a DE at CMP the same weekend so I won’t be there this time.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone! Yes, it would be going on Saturday for the "big" races. And would probably be too overwhelming to stay all day through the Grand Am race. (Though it would be nice to see if anyone claims that bounty posted up!)

Here's to hoping we're more than four of a few dozen spectators.................we have more crowd for a PRC NASA race out here at Sears.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The crowd isn't too bad. Now that there is only one big pro weekend the numbers are pretty good. Couple years ago when there was a fall and spring event one with GA Rolex and one with Koni Challenge it was sparser.

Quick Reply: VIR Grand Am May 14