Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts
Default Ferrari in "contact" with Nico Rosberg

Report reveals 'contact' between Ferrari and Rosberg

After Robert Kubica and Mark Webber were linked with taking Felipe Massa's seat at Ferrari in 2012, now another name has entered the equation - with the Scuderia sounding out the management team of current Mercedes Grand Prix star Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg could be in-line to replace the out-of-favour Felipe Massa at Ferrari in 2012, it appears, with reports that 'contact' has been made between the legendary Scuderia and the young German's management team.

Despite a mini-resurgence in the last couple of races during which he has genuinely taken the fight to double world champion team-mate Fernando Alonso, the general consensus within the F1 paddock is that Massa's days in scarlet are strictly numbered, and that come season's end and the conclusion of his existing agreement with Ferrari, the Brazilian will be out of the Prancing Horse on his hoof, if you'll pardon the pun.

Both injured Lotus Renault GP star Robert Kubica and Red Bull Racing ace Mark Webber have already been linked with filling Massa's shoes at Maranello – but it seems the pair could face another threat from Rosberg, who has impressively controlled Michael Schumacher at Mercedes Grand Prix since the record-breaking F1 legend's top flight comeback at the beginning of last year, routinely out-qualifying, out-racing and out-scoring the most successful driver in the sport's six-decade history.

Now, claims Italian magazine Autosprint, Ferrari has been in 'contact' with Rosberg's management to enquire as to his contractual situation – with the 25-year-old understood to be on a three-year deal with Mercedes that expires at the end of next season.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Out qualifing alonso,bad career move.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The writing was on the wall a long time ago. He hasn't been in the same zip code of Alonso, besides 2-3 races.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Nico would be a fool to go to Ferrari under the current circumstances.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nico, Alonso is faster than you. Do you understand?

Nico should tell them not yet, maybe in a few years when DV is gone.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Agreed.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
The writing was on the wall a long time ago. He hasn't been in the same zip code of Alonso, besides 2-3 races.

He hasn't been allowed to be.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
He hasn't been allowed to be.
You can remain in denial. 1st it was, he is hurt. Now, he is not allowed to. Why would Ferrari let him finish ahead of Alonso this yr then?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
You can remain in denial. 1st it was, he is hurt. Now, he is not allowed to. Why would Ferrari let him finish ahead of Alonso this yr then?
Your correct Raj. I think Ferrari knows they are out of it for 2011 and it really doesn't matter if Massa finishes ahead of Alonso as he has done this year because Alonso has no shot at the WDC.

The quesion is, "Would Rosberg, Webber or anyone else be *ALLOWED* to race Alonso come next year?" when Massa is replaced.

My guess is no as long as Santander is bringing a check book to the party. Rosberg and Webber just don't have that kind of backing and who they really want (Vettel) is locked up for the next few years.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you say they have no shot after only 4 races? Aren't there 16 or 17 total? It's way to early to count out Ferrari.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Land Jet
How can you say they have no shot after only 4 races? Aren't there 16 or 17 total? It's way to early to count out Ferrari.
True, but as both McLaren and Red Bull (and now even Renault) has shown that they are not content to rest on their laurels, they will also be developing between each race. Unless Ferrari has found some flaw in the car that can be corrected, I would be very surprized if the pace of their upgrades can exceed the others.

With the huge ramp-up in initial design technology lately (forced by lack of testing time), more and more it appears that if you are not fast out of the box, or your lack of initial pace is something that it not easily fixed, then you are out of it very shortly into the season.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that does have merit but I'll still take a wait and see attitude when it comes to Ferrari of all the teams. Personally I'm rooting for Vettel, but Ferrari has been at this game too long to count out early.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I agree, the Scuderia is struggling and they are tripping over each other trying to blame anyone. The all German team at MBZ is very cool, and there is Timo in the wings ready to replace Nico if he leaves. Nico is a great talent and I am sure that he is on every F1 teams wish list

I still think that the rumors of the demise of Scuderia for 2011 is a little premature. Don't forget last year, Ferrari started the season slow and Fernando finished 2nd in the WDC just four points behind SV
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Your correct Raj. I think Ferrari knows they are out of it for 2011 and it really doesn't matter if Massa finishes ahead of Alonso as he has done this year because Alonso has no shot at the WDC.

The quesion is, "Would Rosberg, Webber or anyone else be *ALLOWED* to race Alonso come next year?" when Massa is replaced.

My guess is no as long as Santander is bringing a check book to the party. Rosberg and Webber just don't have that kind of backing and who they really want (Vettel) is locked up for the next few years.
I will have to disagree Pete. Santander was also footing Alonso's bill at McLaren. It didn't get him any preferential treatment, did it. No team would jeapordize their position by picking a weaker driver over a stronger driver, no matter how much sponsorship $$ they bring.
Brazil is much bigger market for Ferrari and last thing they would want to do is **** people off. Truth is, Massa is just not as fast as Alonso. Teams need both drivers very close to each other and to be able to push each other. Massa has not shown that so far, save a few instances. Hamilton was able to push Alonso.
Raj
Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
True, but as both McLaren and Red Bull (and now even Renault) has shown that they are not content to rest on their laurels, they will also be developing between each race. Unless Ferrari has found some flaw in the car that can be corrected, I would be very surprized if the pace of their upgrades can exceed the others.

With the huge ramp-up in initial design technology lately (forced by lack of testing time), more and more it appears that if you are not fast out of the box, or your lack of initial pace is something that it not easily fixed, then you are out of it very shortly into the season.
Its a well known fact that Ferrari's wind tunnel has calibration issues. I expect them to get to the bottom of it soon. They are also developing their own flexible wing. I expect Ferrari to bounce back like last yr.

Quick Reply: Ferrari in "contact" with Nico Rosberg