Sponsored by:

Which Hans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
bperry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Hans?

I bought a 20 degree Hans device for this season and have never worn one before. I have stock GT2 fixed back seats in my GT3.2 RS. When worn in the car the back of the hans is touching the the seat back. When looking straight ahead the the helmet nearly touches the Hans and It feels like I could raise my chin a little more for comfort. When turning my head side to side the quick release buckles contact the Hans and impede my head rotation until I lean my neck slightly forward. If it matters I wear an Arai GP-5W that was predrilled for a Hans and the Hans is a Proffesional model with the shoulder padding in place.

My questions are:

Is the the correct fitment or do I need a more or less upright device?

If others have theses fixed back GT2/GT3 seats, what degree Hans do you wear?

If I changed to standard posts attachment would it make it easier to turn my head to look in my mirrors?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm so glad I stayed up late tonight before the race tomorrow so I could see this. Anyone?? I would really like to hear the answer..
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hans fitment

You may need to go to a different model. Do the headrests on the seats come forward or curl toward you or are they straight? Do you have a short neck that the HANS anchors are hitting the device? The Arai does not have a lip on it so it should not interfere with the Hans. You may want to try adjusting the padding on the yolks of the device. They are on there for comfort and have nothing to do with how the device works.

Please call us or HANS if you have questions.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bperry
I bought a 20 degree Hans device for this season and have never worn one before. I have stock GT2 fixed back seats in my GT3.2 RS. When worn in the car the back of the hans is touching the the seat back. When looking straight ahead the the helmet nearly touches the Hans and It feels like I could raise my chin a little more for comfort. When turning my head side to side the quick release buckles contact the Hans and impede my head rotation until I lean my neck slightly forward. If it matters I wear an Arai GP-5W that was predrilled for a Hans and the Hans is a Proffesional model with the shoulder padding in place.

My questions are:

Is the the correct fitment or do I need a more or less upright device?

If others have theses fixed back GT2/GT3 seats, what degree Hans do you wear?

If I changed to standard posts attachment would it make it easier to turn my head to look in my mirrors?

Thanks in advance!
I have Euro GT3 seats with a 20 degree HANS and don't have the problems you mentioned.

Are you sitting in the car with your head/body complete against the seat (or close to it) when you tighten your belts - and not where your head naturally be when you drive? Or perhaps getting strapped in with the HANS against your helmet when strapping in? I did it the first few times I wore a HANS. When I did this, the HANS would basically be strapped to the helmet, making it hard to move my head. My solution was to get strapped in, get into the driving position I like and push the HANS back a bit with the back of your helmet (basically tilting my head back). This moves the device into a more comfortable position for driving (for me at least).

-td
Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Good suggestion. The HANS will find its natural position on your shoulders once you start driving with it on. I tell customers the HANS is like a helmet. You should forget you have it on once you get on the track.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had a few recaro seats in my cars that are basically the same profile as the hard shell GT3 seats. The difference between the "Hans" seats and the regular seat is a hollowed out area behind the neck to give the Hans a bit more room. I really didn't notice it until I went back to the other car with a standard shell and noticed the helmet/hand would be planted against the seatback before my shoulders would rest against the seat. Not a big deal but the Hans was rubbing on the leather and leaving a mark, so I adjusted the seat side plates by rotating the seat back a one hole position. Problem solved.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I have Euro GT3 seats with a 20 degree HANS and don't have the problems you mentioned.
-td
+1
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
bperry
Instructor

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
You may need to go to a different model. Do the headrests on the seats come forward or curl toward you or are they straight? Do you have a short neck that the HANS anchors are hitting the device? The Arai does not have a lip on it so it should not interfere with the Hans. You may want to try adjusting the padding on the yolks of the device. They are on there for comfort and have nothing to do with how the device works.

Please call us or HANS if you have questions.
Linda, I actually have a long neck.

Originally Posted by himself

Are you sitting in the car with your head/body complete against the seat (or close to it) when you tighten your belts - and not where your head naturally be when you drive? Or perhaps getting strapped in with the HANS against your helmet when strapping in? I did it the first few times I wore a HANS. When I did this, the HANS would basically be strapped to the helmet, making it hard to move my head. My solution was to get strapped in, get into the driving position I like and push the HANS back a bit with the back of your helmet (basically tilting my head back). This moves the device into a more comfortable position for driving (for me at least).

-td
When I tried it on I was strapped into the car with the helmet and Hans on. I used the back of my helmet to push the Hans against the seat. I guess I'll get strapped in again and take the car for a drive to see how natural it feels. I hope no one notices me driving down the road in full gear! LOL!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might find that when your brain gets busy with track droving concentration you will no longer feel the device. I tried mine on and thought it was a bit anoying before using it on track. Once on track I never felt/thought about it again except when trying to look far right or left while moving around in the paddock. Slider tethers made that better.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seat and Harness made for HANS would be recommended.
Some harness have a warning on them to not be used with HANS.

HANS Seat Belt Installation
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Magnus, thank you for posting that Schroth PowerPoint. It is excellent, and adds a number of informative BAD examples to the already excellent Schroth installation PDF.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing I do is after I tighten my lap belt I pin my HANS against the back of the seat with my helmet, while holding it in that position I tighten my shoulder straps. This keeps the HANS back and for the most part out of the way.. Also as someone else mentioned, you forget you have it on when your mind is on the track.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

The Model 20 is the correct device for the car you are driving. Is this your first time using a HANS, or just the first time using your HANS in this car with these seats? Sometimes when adding a HANS to your safety system, you do need to adjust the angle of your seat as others have suggested.

Also, do you have the old style quick disconnects, or the newer quick click anchors with sliding tether pictured here:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...ER-UPGRADE-KIT

If you have the older style quick disconnect, they would tend to hit against end users helmets and the side of their devices.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
bperry
Instructor

Originally Posted by 007DT
One thing I do is after I tighten my lap belt I pin my HANS against the back of the seat with my helmet, while holding it in that position I tighten my shoulder straps. This keeps the HANS back and for the most part out of the way.. Also as someone else mentioned, you forget you have it on when your mind is on the track.
That's what I did; pushed the hans back with my helmet before tightning my shoulder straps.

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The Model 20 is the correct device for the car you are driving. Is this your first time using a HANS, or just the first time using your HANS in this car with these seats? Sometimes when adding a HANS to your safety system, you do need to adjust the angle of your seat as others have suggested.

Also, do you have the old style quick disconnects, or the newer quick click anchors with sliding tether pictured here:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...ER-UPGRADE-KIT

If you have the older style quick disconnect, they would tend to hit against end users helmets and the side of their devices.
I have never used a hans device before. I have the new style quick disconnects. Will try it on the track before before I make a final decision.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As soon as you get the signal to pit out, you'll forget that it didn't feel "natural" in the pits / paddock. The only thing I do is push back to "set" the Hans as I'm strapping in. My head doesn't "float" like it would while street driving, which is why it probably feels a bit strange. But on the track, it's just fine.

I have the professional 20 medium and use the same Sport Bucket seats, Schroth 6 Hans.

Quick Reply: Which Hans?