Sponsored by:

DE student ? on breathing (really!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RA

+1 on T-12 at RA. Flat out, of course...............................
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses, and keep the ideas/insights coming. I don’t think I’ll start smoking though, but thanks for the input, and it didn’t escape me that the Chief Martini Maker’s suggestion was “just do your best to relax”! No problem once the track goes cold! Of course I’m always on the lookout for more track time... and patience with myself!

I’m glad to know this is common and not some strange, quirky thing I’ve gotten myself into. I’ll do my best not to fixate on it because I do see how that can just make it worse (gleaning from my previous sports experience). My last 3 events have included Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, and I believe there are certain turns where I’m more prone to it and I’m sure they are the ones I’m “working on” (which are quite a few!). Except for The Corkscrew - because I’m already preparing to go down a cliff and I find myself closer to hyperventilating! Driven there 3 or 4 days now and it is still a cliff.

I do have a harness and GT3 seats, so its not that. I’m pretty good about my seating position since my DH and I share a car and I have to adjust the seat almost every time I get in. I have caught myself “gripping” the wheel at times and I kinda have a routine now where I have regular locations on track where I wiggle my fingers and drop my shoulders because I almost always need it anyways.

I will add the O2 saturation breathing down the straights. Exhaling through the nose can also be something different to “mix it up”. I like the slack-jaw/mouth open idea. The other idea I tried was to talk out loud to myself as if I had an instructor in the car and we were doing that “tell me what you’re doing” exercise, just to keep myself from holding my breath anywhere, but that got kinda distracting after a while. Dental work precludes gum chewing and singing (my other idea) scares me just as much (for other reasons)!

“Hi, my name is Deb and I hold my breath at apexes...”
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
sig_a
Pro

To relax while driving at speed, keep your eyes up at all times. Eyes down causes a continual series of surprises and delayed reactions. Keeping eyes up is primary to driving smoothly.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Dont chew gum! You could choke on it, seriously.

Correctamundo
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Deb, I wonder if you're pushing too hard a bit too early in training...this occurs in virtually all sports and I've found that a month (say two events) of back off is a huge help. Wonder iffn two lower speed training events with concentration on subtle things could help to ease some of the tension.

This would be a natural progression thing in many training programs - back off and then accelerate to new levels.

Wonder what the others might say.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

As an instructor I listen for my students breathing. If I don't hear anything I remind them to breath. Good suggestions from VR and Lolaman.

I also listen for it when I am taking someone out for a ride. If I don't hear them breathing, I ask if everything is okay, or if I am going to fast. (if you know me, that last question is kind of funny).
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

one of my 1st instructors told me that at least once, (more is better), check the gauges, and relax. wiggle the fingers was one of his hints.. -helps release the death grip.

in other words, on the (back) straight, relax, check the car, competition, and breathe.. (and look at the flag stations) - prepare for the next lap.

kind of a mental break each lap...

it worked for me.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sing to yourself. That's what I do, but I'm nuts.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having instructed Deb in the past, don't assume from her modesty that she is an unschooled newbie, or pushes to fast. With me, she took a systematic, measured pace to improve and expand her comfort zone. She was fun to instruct.

Deb: It really sounds from what you say that it comes from your anxiety when in a turn (Am I going to make it?) and once you reach the apex, you know your going to make it and you let out the sigh of relief. You should try the breathing exercises to calm yourself (I still do them in the first lap of a race when it's tense) but continued practice is likely the best cure (that is getting comfortable with the speed you are using in the corner and knowing that it's ok).

I want to know what DH is. Dumb Husband? What if Pete sees this post? Then you claim it's "darling" instead of dumb?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

+1 on keeping mouth open. On long straits wiggle fingers and take a couple deep breaths.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom, Tom, Tom.... You are too kind! Thanks for the instruction!!! I definitely appreciate your insight on this and I think you may be on to something.

I'll get to try the different tips and hints you all suggested while at Thill this weekend. In fact, I'm getting ready to go up for Fri for the day, on my own, with street tires (as opposed to the MPSCs we normally run). I had one day last season on streets and it was a great learning experience and proved, once again, that Rcomps cover a multitude of sins. Pete's coming up for Sat and Sun, so the MPSCs will go back on and its another chance for me to then execute.

Ha ha ha.... DH in my case can stand for many things.... Dedicated Hero, Damn Handsome, Definitely Hot He's been completely supportive with my AXing and DEing; prepping the car, sending me off, and then feeding the kids to boot. Does that qualify for the ultimate "kitchen pass"??? I'm the luckiest gal on the planet!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
To relax while driving at speed, keep your eyes up at all times. Eyes down causes a continual series of surprises and delayed reactions. Keeping eyes up is primary to driving smoothly.
Another instructor told me to put your chin down towards your chest, eyes have to open wider, helps w/ focus & concentration.

with your chin up your eyelids are more than half closed.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpressley

“Hi, my name is Deb and I'm a slack jawed mouth breather ...........”
Fixed it for you

(Sorry couldn't resist - See you at T'Hill tomorrow ? ?)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if there's any way to "cure" the problem, rather it's just going to take time before your skill set moves into the background. I remember the day well at Watkins Glen when I was flat in the Esses and found some new antifreeze on the track, wiggled back and forth as I held the power and micro-corrected. Once I got to the straight I realized I was so relaxed, no elevated heart rate, etc. Before that day I'd be anxious and want to pit-in. From that day forward, slow and steady breathing, relaxed no matter what the situation, smoother, quicker, etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JerryW
Fixed it for you
(Sorry couldn't resist - See you at T'Hill tomorrow ? ?)
LOL! Yup... I'm finishing up with packing right now. Watch yourself... I'm helping in scrutineering this weekend

Quick Reply: DE student ? on breathing (really!)