Sponsored by:

DE student ? on breathing (really!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DE student ? on breathing (really!)

I've been DE'ing for about 4 years now, getting in 2-3 weekends a year, so I definitely consider myself a beginner. I started AXing 2yrs before I did my first DE, and I still enjoy AXing so I continue to participate. I've been signed off to solo for quite a while now but grab and instructor frequently to ride with me and I'm really enjoying the learning process.

My question to you all has to do with breathing. I noticed I've gotten into the habit of holding my breath until I'm past the apex. I know better than to hold my breath - I've been in athletics most of my life! I didn't start out doing this and I'm not quite sure when during last season it started; if any instructor who rode with me noticed, they didn't say anything which leads me to believe its rather new. At my last event last season when I noticed what I was doing, I began talking myself through (even if in my head) to BREATHE, so as to time it that I'm exhaling at the apex instead. It made sense to me at the time.

I understand instructors are supposed to listen for students breathing hard, but how about the opposite? Have any of you had your students do this? Any suggestions on how I developed this habit and how to quit doing it?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Very common IMO, although tough to detect audibly in a noisy car at 100 mph with the windows down. This is why instructors/coaches need to look at the student periodically for body language cues (breathing, death grip on the wheel, leaning forward, butt not all the way in seat, etc.).

How did you develop it? Who knows? One way to get rid of it is to force yourself to slowly take in and out as many DEEP breaths as possible on every straightaway. The key is doing it slowly. This will not only draw oxygen deep into the passages of your lungs for absorbtion, but it will also cause your neck, back, arms, and hands to relax....which will really help your smoothness and braking/cornering cadence.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

It may be that you're preparing your body for the forces that are about to be exerted on it. Do you have race seats and harnesses or are you still on the street setup?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by dpressley
I noticed I've gotten into the habit of holding my breath until I'm past the apex.

<snip>

I understand instructors are supposed to listen for students breathing hard, but how about the opposite? Have any of you had your students do this? Any suggestions on how I developed this habit and how to quit doing it?
First off, much more common than you might think. Concentration? Holding yourself up with the steering wheel because you're not well supported? Anxiety or just simply forgetting to breath? Could be any number of things.

I listen in the communicator for indications that they've stopped breathing, then I ask them to relax their grip on the wheel by extending their fingers and simultaneously breath.

I did this, too. When I started...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I did this, too. When I started...
Yup, same here.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed times when I do it. I find that if I keep my mouth open I don't do it as much. The other side is that I can relax more if I breathe methodically through my nose.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I also did this when I started, but I no longer hold my breath at apex. I find closing my eyes is a much better method for dealing with things.

I've seen my students holding their breath and then letting it out pretty dramatically when they track out, particularly at the faster/scarier turns.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it right now. I suspect that thinking about it while driving might make it worse. Just do your best to relax while you're driving, and eventually I suspect it will just fade away over time.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
It may be that you're preparing your body for the forces that are about to be exerted on it. Do you have race seats and harnesses or are you still on the street setup?
+1
That's my guess. Race seats and a harness make a world of difference. You stop trying to brace yourself going into turns.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
sig_a
Pro

MGLOBE

"Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it right now. I suspect that thinking about it while driving might make it worse. Just do your best to relax while you're driving, and eventually I suspect it will just fade away over time."

Seat time will cure it.

If you can make the Friday "instructors and solo students only" go. I got 7 one-half hour sessions at MO two fridays ago. Then the normal S & S DE.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I find closing my eyes is a much better method for dealing with things.
Well, this explains your last event.

I never thought about it but I`m with Mike, don`t worry about it. Thinking about it is worse than doing it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try chewing gum...and on straights - forcing yourself to take deep breaths. This will help your conscious mind remember to make you breath versus your subconscious reaction of holding your breath. That and harnesses and a proper seat are also great suggestions.

Ricky
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM
sig_a
Pro

Smoke a Marlboro...........
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

When I first starting track days on my motorcycle, I discovered I was holding my breath as well. That, and clenching my teeth. I started making it a point to relax my jaw so my upper and lower teeth were not touching. Not only did this help with the breathing problem, it also helped keep the rest of my body more relaxed. I would come off the track less fatigued. I shared this with several of my racing cohorts and they experienced similar beneficial results.

Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Dont chew gum! You could choke on it, seriously.

After years of racing i still hold my breath on certain tracks at certain spots..... just before kink @ Road Am, heading into esses at VIR, T2 at Glen, T12 Atlanta.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deb: I used to do it too. Now that you've noticed you do it, you can work on telling yourself to relax and breathe normally whenever you notice it and you should be able to work through it. I think I finally got it mostly eliminated when I learned to relax more (doing a couple enduros with 2 hour stints in the car helped but that isn't an option in DE ) Are you doing it on every turn or just the ones you are most uncomfortable at?

Quick Reply: DE student ? on breathing (really!)