Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio PCA race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mid Ohio PCA race?

The race is in 2 weeks and there are only 67 people signed up... I can't imagine that this race can survive with this kind of pitiful participation.

Needless to say, Mid Ohio is one of the best road courses in the country and MORPCA runs a great race every year.

Is it because the race is sandwiched between Lime Rock and Watkins Glen? Is it possible to change the date next year? (I realize this is a big deal and difficult to do). Whatever the reason, it's a real shame...

The Mid Ohio race should be one of the biggest races on the calendar and instead it's one of the smallest...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
The race is in 2 weeks and there are only 67 people signed up... I can't imagine that this race can survive with this kind of pitiful participation.

Needless to say, Mid Ohio is one of the best road courses in the country and MORPCA runs a great race every year.

Is it because the race is sandwiched between Lime Rock and Watkins Glen? Is it possible to change the date next year? (I realize this is a big deal and difficult to do). Whatever the reason, it's a real shame...

The Mid Ohio race should be one of the biggest races on the calendar and instead it's one of the smallest...
I am with you on this, it is a fanatstic track and the only reason I am not going is that my car will not be ready. I will be there next year and try to bring some other Potomac PCA racers with me.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be there but I'm having to rebuild my motor...so, I don't have a car to race right now.

I'm bummed...
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Ohio

Hope the two of you who are getting race cars ready........will have them together for PCA GingerMan.......

We need all the racers and DE students we can get too
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 610 Likes on 315 Posts

Jack,
Would love to be there again this year. You're right, great track, great people. Unfortunately.... My sponsor has pulled her support this year and is making me get a real, paying job!!!... which I start on May 9. Not good form to take days off my second week there...

A group of us from Carolinas are planning for next year (two of them wrecked at RA and not fixed yet). This year is a 'rebuilding' year, both car physically and financially...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
mcongleton
Racer

I will be at Mid Ohio but 67 cars seems very low. I do believe having races so close to one another does hurt participation. I won't attend PCA at The Glen because it is too close to MO however I will attend WG in the fall with SVRA.

I love MO and hope the registration picks up in the next week or so.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I am not signing up until my car is DONE. Over the past two or three years, I've paid for and traveled to at least two club races I did not get to do because my car was supposed to be ready....but was not.

Thus, the avatar ----->----v
<-----<-----<-----<-----<--
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

I like to register AFTER the previous race (Lime Rock for me). Will register if we can get an engine in my cup running right, hope it's ready for LRP.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I am not signing up until my car is DONE. Over the past two or three years, I've paid for and traveled to at least two club races I did not get to do because my car was supposed to be ready....but was not.

Thus, the avatar ----->----v
<-----<-----<-----<-----<--
Uh, you've had since September...just sayin'...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

September 09
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Team944S2
Instructor

Years ago, the Mid-Ohio club race was one race you had to register on the first day. It would fill up and there would be a wait list. How times have changed. Based on the economy and mostly unfavorable cancellation policies, it is understandable why racers make it through an event prior to signing up for the next race. The competition is always great and a fun track. Now if Mother Nature cooperates...that would be even better!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Gearbox has been with rebuilder since before Christmas.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the same boat as many of you. My car is still in pieces and supposed to come together by May 6th for a test n tune. If that works out then I am definitely in.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Mid-O was my 2nd club race ever and i thought it was a fantastic event - well put together and tons of competition. We had many cars in F (now E) and solid attendance overall. I lived in Chicago then so LRP and WG weren't on the radar for me. Now that i live in the North East, with LRP (relatively cheap b/c 2 days and no travel) and WG (mighty track) just 1 month apart, the appeal of Mid-O isn't any match in the competition for racers' time and money. Perhaps the organizers should think of a different date in order to attract racers from high concentration areas? Also, why not make it an event that offers longer sprints (say 59 mins) as a way to differentiate? Mid-O is a really fun and challenging track. Would love to make it there again.

Last edited by FredC; 04-28-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: end of July is not a good suggestion for an event date (Mosport, Brainerd, etc...)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default Good Idea

I'll be there and I sure hope we get some more racers signed up. Fred the 59 minute sprints is a cool idea or a change of date might be best because of "chance of weather' and LRP/WG dates. I really encourage some of you guys to try this track, I lot of fun....last years weather by the way was fantastic.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio PCA race?