Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overnight Trackside in Trailer-Setup??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Overnight Trackside in Trailer-Setup??

Now that I've jumped in even deeper...

My new trailer has a/c, is wired, has genset box (I have a few), is insulated and relatively well set up - I have no excuses not to stay trackside and enjoy the benefits of same.

I've searched this AM here but have yet to find a raft of ideas for beds (matresses) and/or other ideas which really work.

Sun showers; the electric smoker; portable grill; rice cooker and electric skillet...

All ideas gladly accepted and come on by the "Bugtussle" trailer anytime you see it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check with Colin Mazola and Charlie Boyer, they both regularly sleep in their trailers.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know some folks that use an inflatable mattress on the floor to sleep on. Since you have 120V, the mattresses with included air pumps usually fill reasonably fast; can deflate to keep out of the way during the day. A variety of folding cots also available, like this one from Cabelas. I've also seen someone hang a hammock between the E-Track rails on opposite walls of the trailer.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by aj986s
I know some folks that use an inflatable mattress on the floor to sleep on. Since you have 120V, the mattresses with included air pumps usually fill reasonably fast; can deflate to keep out of the way during the day. A variety of folding cots also available, like this one from Cabelas. I've also seen someone hang a hammock between the E-Track rails on opposite walls of the trailer.
Cabelas is a great idea! I just saw a neat shower enclosure for $79.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KaiB:

I came up with three variants to the shower issue. First I picked up a gas water heater from camping usa. Its amazing how hot the water can be if you like and as long as you have gas and water supply you are good to go. Second came the privacy screen: first attempt was PVC stand to hold curtain, OK but not very good. second attempt, I fabricated aluminum arms to telescope back towards the trailer. Think of the letter F on its side so the parallel lines sandwich the tailgate. Works great but now I have moved to cable system. Went to boat store picked up stainless hardware to attach to trailer (two hole strap). Clip one end to newly installed trailer straps, then thread the cable thru the eyelets on the shower curtain. The other end goes over the tailgate and secures to the bed tie-downs with springs to ensure cable is tight. This is the easiest to erect and transport. It is not a hardship at all to sleep on the new style of blow-ups and. Give it a try.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap/simple shower alternative, these solar shower bags work great! We used them on a Boy Scout kayak trek. In the morning, we'd fill with water, and strap to the tops of kayaks. When we stopped to camp for the night, the water in the bags was surprisingly hot. A couple of these on the roof of the trailer during the day, and you wouldn't have to mess with gas, etc.

http://gb.suntekstore.com/10Gallons-...r-Heating.html

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
KaiB
Banned

Nice curtain on the tailgate. The Cabellas beds look nice...

What's the best way to handle the stand tent against the wind? We're in OK and will spend most of our time btw, TX, OK, KS and NE - the winds do indeed suck and blow (depending on location/State, of course).

I wonder if a $99 Lowes propane grill might be a better idea than farking around with charcoal...probably.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I sleep in my trailer all the time. Blow up mattress works great. Add a microwave, hot plate and small refrigerator and you are set. I use the showers at the tracks. My wife keeps saying that I should put a small sink in the trailer but I don't feel it's needed. Instead I carry a 5 gallon jug of water that I put on the trailer tongue.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lemming; 04-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Listen to Verbotn.. His setup is like a spa people go to for relaxation. I started sleeping in the trailer next to him. Have A/C, 32" LCD, DVD player, and a queen size blow up. Very comfy. I generally use the track showers. Or Verbotn graciously allows me to use his at Sebring.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried sleeping on an air mattress and just couldn't do it. The Cabella cot with the foam mattress is much more comfortable, at least for me. I suggest you try before buying.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I know VIR and Summit have showers and overnight " accomodations " . How about other tracks ?
Glen, Jersey , Lime Rock, Mid ohio ?

( My new trailer is on order also )
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

VIR, Road Atlanta, CMP, and Barber all fairly nice bath houses.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I anyone wants it, I have an electric water heater, pump and tank I took out of a trailer I had. Worked great.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Now that I've jumped in even deeper...

My new trailer has a/c, is wired, has genset box (I have a few), is insulated and relatively well set up - I have no excuses not to stay trackside and enjoy the benefits of same.

I've searched this AM here but have yet to find a raft of ideas for beds (matresses) and/or other ideas which really work.

Sun showers; the electric smoker; portable grill; rice cooker and electric skillet...

All ideas gladly accepted and come on by the "Bugtussle" trailer anytime you see it.
I have camped in my 24ft box trailer. Even with N A/C it works.

I got 2 cots at walmart and just pull them out for sleeping. With an 120V power I am pretty happy.

Here you can see the full size bbq that took to Utah for 2009 Nationals. My father and I spent 4 nights there and was fine. There were showers at the track so no issues there.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Mid-Ohio has facilities but they could stand an upgrade. Showers are "group" style.

Quick Reply: Overnight Trackside in Trailer-Setup??