Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can Ferrari Make the F150 Competitive?
They will only be as good as they are now, maybe worse.
0%
They will improve, but not substantially. They have no shot at winning the championship.
32.26%
They will make significant improvements, but it will be too little, too late.
51.61%
They will replicate last year.
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Can Ferrari Make the F150 Competitive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Can Ferrari Make the F150 Competitive?

I was very surprised that they were able to make last year's car competitive toward the end of last year, particularly in light of the mid-season drop in performance relative to Mclaren and Red Bull. I'm curious to see what Rlisters who follow F1 think their chances are this year.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ferrari will be competitive, it's not unusual for a team to have a slow start although I don't think any of them want that, always better to be fast out of the chute. Ferrari has always been a car company that sold cars so they could race, first and foremost, and since that is their primary focus, I expect them be among the leaders soon.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they name it after the Ford F150 truck
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will certainly improve as they have the book on what it takes to be fast at the European tracks, but Red Bull, McLaren & Renault will be improving too, and unlike last year, the current gap back to Ferrari with respect to their race pace is larger. I don't see then making a serious challenge this year, though I will be surprised if Alonso doesn't get one or 2 wins this year.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Alonso is holding them back.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 AM
enduro911
Pro

Wow, just checked some of the sources I usually use to stay updated on F1 and I found this:

http://thef1times.com/news/display/03105

Ferrari blame wind tunnel fault for poor pace
Saturday 16th April 2011, 14:34

Ferrari have blamed their wind tunnel for the F150º's poor pace, suggesting it may not be giving accurate results.
Technical director Aldo Costa revealed to SpeedTV that the data collected at the track wasn't matching that of the tunnel, and a thorough investigation was underway to solve the problems.
"In the winter development, in the last test, we tested a lot of new components and, as I already said, some of them are not delivering the performance expected," said Costa.
"So we started an investigation, so we are doing correlation job between the track and the wind tunnel, trying to understand why that should be."
He hopes the issue will solved by the time the team return for the European rounds. They will immediately fly home after the Chinese GP this weekend to begin three weeks of development work.
"We think that, by Turkey, we should be able to answer all our questions," he said confidently.
The Italian also spoke about the senior personnel trip back to Maranello between the Malaysian and Chinese rounds, denying it was an emergency meeting.
"It was not an emergency going back to Maranello, it was already programmed.
"Of course, we have to catch up. We are quite behind, as we have seen in the first two races, so, at home, people are really motivated to progress," he added.

I also read that they were using their tunnel some of last year, but not all. I wonder if this explains a few things or if it's a smoke and mirrors trick. Either way, they have been consistant with the story about being confused as to why the parts weren't performing.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
bahahaha
Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Did they name it after the Ford F150 truck
Yep - http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...f150-name.html

Originally Posted by enduro911
Ferrari blame wind tunnel fault for poor pace...
We'll see how long it takes them to redevelop the car. After all they were very fast in winter testing. I expect them to be very competitive for the remainder of the season, they know how to get it done. This 3 week break will benefit Ferrari the most IMO.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nobody said designer vagina would be inexpensive...

BTW, did anyone see DV's birthday wishes to Massa...?

“Hi Felipe and all my very best birthday wishes! You have got there a few months before me as, in July it will be my turn to turn thirty, so you’ll be able to tell me if it’s something special to reach this age. Joking apart, I want to tell you that I’m happy to be alongside you at Ferrari: I think we make up a good duo, respecting one another and working well together, in the knowledge that the interests of the team come before those of the individual. Now I hope we will soon a have a car good enough to see us fight for the top places, after which it will be down to the two of us to try and win.”

Last edited by Flying Finn; 04-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari will be the most improved team coming out of the break. i suspect their season will end similar to last year. Constructor`s title is out of the question for them but they could still compete for the WDC. This fist race after the break will tell all. If they get a win or a decisive podium, they will be on their way.

What about Mercedes? Can they make enough improvements to make a run to the top?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure they will get better but so will RB/McLaren! Sorry to all the Fiat owners but I root for anybody BUT Fiat in F1! So I love seeing RB or McLaren on podium!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

“Hi Felipe and all my very best birthday wishes! You have got there a few months before me as, in July it will be my turn to turn thirty, so you’ll be able to tell me if it’s something special to reach this age. Joking apart, I want to tell you that I’m happy to be alongside you at Ferrari: I think we make up a good duo, respecting one another and working well together, in the knowledge that the interests of the team come before those of the individual. Now I hope we will soon a have a car good enough to see us fight for the top places, after which it will be down to the two of us to try and win.”
+1. Her Majesty DV certainly has a way with words, eh?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,336 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

I read that yesterday and immediately had a gag reflex. What a bunch of BS
Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
enduro911
Pro

http://spontoncristiano.wordpress.com/

Love this gameplan...car isn't any good? Make a commercial! That way, you can try all your new aero updates, including your brand new wing, for the next race. Ferrari did this last year with Alonso behind the wheel, and soon thereafter, they were competitive again.

All kidding aside though, they will have to fix their wind tunnel and get better at using simulators. Ferrari are still in the "we have Fiorano and we'll just keep driving around until things work" mindset.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there is more truth in that statement than Ferrari wants anybody to know.

Ferrari will be competitive, when they put what every F150 has in Texas.....A gun rack.

But since it is F1 the gun rack will be carbonfiber.

Quick Reply: Can Ferrari Make the F150 Competitive?