Brake fade, how to prevent it........

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
If anyone cares to share the cliff notes of "Ice mode", I would appreciate it....
Someone will hopefully correct me if I have this wrong, but I think Ice Mode typically happens in braking zones that are bumpy. Certain combinations of bumpiness, insufficient suspension compliance, and entry speed trigger it. That's where I've experienced it at least. You get a firm pedal, but essentially no stopping power. A quick pump of the brakes seems to clear it.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Someone will hopefully correct me if I have this wrong, but I think Ice Mode typically happens in braking zones that are bumpy. Certain combinations of bumpiness, insufficient suspension compliance, and entry speed trigger it. That's where I've experienced it at least. You get a firm pedal, but essentially no stopping power. A quick pump of the brakes seems to clear it.
Those are the circumstances in which I have experienced it in Porsches, too. Creepy... Often a slightly earlier & softer initial brake application prevents it, like what we do "over the hump" into T10 at TWS.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark
Use a real track pad?
I'm pretty sure that the Pagid Orange pads are not ideal for heavy track use. Pagid yellows fwiw or even Pagid blacks, but be prepared for heavy rotor use
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is a long compilation thread on "ice mode."
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ly-got-me.html

Search does work: "ice" in title.

-td
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks td......
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Here is a long compilation thread on "ice mode."
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ly-got-me.html

Search does work: "ice" in title.

-td
i never heard of it, imho it is one of those things that should be announced on driver meetings so people would be aware of such a possibility. amazing stuff.
so is it just an ABS reaction to uneven grip on front and rear axels? or nobody still knows? if racing teams replace this ABS ECU then someone shoud probably know why exactly it happens?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Those are the circumstances in which I have experienced it in Porsches, too. Creepy... Often a slightly earlier & softer initial brake application prevents it, like what we do "over the hump" into T10 at TWS.
If "ice mode" happened to Toyotas on the street the lawyers would be advertising for class action groups on TV. Porsche needs to fix this if if they have not done so allready.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
If "ice mode" happened to Toyotas on the street the lawyers would be advertising for class action groups on TV. Porsche needs to fix this if if they have not done so allready.
You have to be REALLY pushing it to experience ice mode, and most typically you have to be on a non-street suspension. It's really not something you would ever have to worry about on the street, and I suspect VERY few people in 996's with stock suspensions ever have it happen on the track.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I agree with Mike. Street 996's and 997's on street tires don't seem to exhibit this behavior in my limited experience with them on track.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, I drove my old 996 on the track for years without ever encountering "ice mode" - and I went through stock, ROW M030, and then PSS9 (running everything from street tires to Hoosiers). And in the last couple years, I haven't run into yet with my GT3 [knock wood]. I would almost guess it needs to be a perfect storm to see it.

-td
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be REALLY pushing it to experience ice mode, and most typically you have to be on a non-street suspension. It's really not something you would ever have to worry about on the street, and I suspect VERY few people in 996's with stock suspensions ever have it happen on the track.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I agree with Mike. Street 996's and 997's on street tires don't seem to exhibit this behavior in my limited experience with them on track.
The system should not be able to do it at all under any conditions. It is a critical failure flaw in the system. Do BMW's or Audi's do this when running r comps?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

My full-track 1997 M3 can sometimes do it under similar circumstances. It's a quirk of ABS systems, it seems.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

So let me get this straight.........

If I experienced Ice mode (as it seems to be the consensus),
and it only happens very rarely when on non-street suspension and with R-compounds on.......

1) Why did it happen in my everything stock Cayman with street tires on?

2) It is safe to say that when I go back to the same track with the same car on the same street tires and, I won't be able to experience Ice mode again?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
So let me get this straight.........

If I experienced Ice mode (as it seems to be the consensus),
and it only happens very rarely when on non-street suspension and with R-compounds on.......

1) Why did it happen in my everything stock Cayman with street tires on?

2) It is safe to say that when I go back to the same track with the same car on the same street tires and, I won't be able to experience Ice mode again?
I guess it's clearly the driver then...

Actually, I had forgotten that your car was stock. It's unlikely that it was ice mode. I'm going with insufficient cooling and/or PSM being on.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I guess it's clearly the driver then...

Actually, I had forgotten that your car was stock. It's unlikely that it was ice mode. I'm going with insufficient cooling and/or PSM being on.
I agree with you in the driver part.......I was lapping people in the same car.....

The fact are:

1. Sudden onset

2. Bumpy track

3. Stiff pedal with no stopping power

4. Pads are still at 80% thickness

My conclusion:

Ice mode in a stock car with street tires can happen.......if it is driven like it was stolen.......

Quick Reply: Brake fade, how to prevent it........