Montrose trailer experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Rick, That's because you've never tried. I am constantly surprised by how comfortably and safely my Cayenne will deal with the whole towing experience. Admittedly I typically tow an open trailer but I have towed a 24' enclosed. Last year we towed a total of over 12,000 miles including Texas to Newfoundland in a bit over three days and often cruised in excess of 80mph. Over the last 8 years of towing with a Cayenne I have hit all sorts of conditions including hurricane force winds, torrential rain, bad dirt roads and everything else nature can throw at you. I have never once doubted the capability and nor have I had any control issues of any sought. I also think nothing of averaging 1000 mile days to get where I'm going. The quality of the brakes alone make my friend's Tundra look ridiculous. I would not hesitate to tow a small enclosed trailer (assuming a total weight of less than 7000#) with a cayenne (or a q7 - which I have also had a lot of experience with).
Hey, I've seen you drive, so you have no cred with me.
Seriously, I have seen way too many situations where I was awfully glad to have my truck anchoring the trailer; whether it was the highway terrorist that merged in front of me and jumped on his brakes or the little girl on the bike that decided to cross the road at a bad time, it was nice to have a lot of weight, good brakes, ABS, and an attentive driver. Not saying that the smaller tow vehicles can't do it, but I am not so sure that they can do it as well. Hard to change the rules of physics, even with advanced technology.
Kind of reminds me of conversations about snow tires - sure, all seasons will get you through the snow and ice (maybe) but good snow tires will do it better. That last 10 feet of stopping can make all the difference in my day.
I realize that not everyone has the opportunity to keep a dedicated tow vehicle truck in the the driveway, so I am fortunate in that regard.
You are right, I haven't towed with the proposed SUVs, and it would be (is?) great that they can handle the smaller enclosed trailers.
Are you doing Targa again?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised to hear that you have observed my driving. I would have thought I was typically so far ahead you wouldn't be able to see me.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Surprised to hear that you have observed my driving. I would have thought I was typically so far ahead you wouldn't be able to see me.
Maybe I should have made my wink bigger; you are a darned good driver and instructor. I've noticed that in the brief times you were within sight.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Maybe I should have made my wink bigger; you are a darned good driver and instructor. I've notice in the brief times you were within sight.
Well that's no fun. How am I supposed to be my usual grumpy self when you pretend to be nice? Just not fair.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Any other user comments/experiences/recommendations? How are these holding up?
Support when something goes amiss? Want to add options?

I'm looking at pulling with a Cayenne Twin Turbo, 7700#. My car is light 2200# but wide, 78".
I might occasionally haul a 944 -- that would put it at 2500#. Figure a few hundred more #
with gear, tires, etc. Aim for 5500# total. That puts me in the 2000#-2500# trailer range.

I'd like to have clearance to stand in, otherwise I'm sure I'll regret it with each head whack.

Mike
Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

^

From the yahoo link

The "Low Profile Power Tilt" Montrose trailer pictured in the link below has an interior allowance of 20' x 94" with 64" height. The empty weight of this all aluminum "Low Profile Power Tilt" enclosed trailer, including the winch, spare tire, battery, and toolbox is only 2, 925 lbs.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

I called, and that trailer in video is about 22K before taxes and delivery, and that does not include the electrics (probably close to another 1.5K with the winch) which were provided by the owner during fabrication. It's 24ft long.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:25 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I called, and that trailer in video is about 22K before taxes and delivery, and that does not include the electrics (probably close to another 1.5K with the winch) which were provided by the owner during fabrication. It's 24ft long.
It'll be headed to COTA next weekend if all goes according to plan....

So any Texas folks that wants to see one in person, please stop by.

Mike

Quick Reply: Montrose trailer experience