Sponsored by:

Montrose trailer experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Montrose trailer experience

Seeking info from the collective: has anyone here had any experience with Montrose Trailers? Specially their low profile enclosed trailers:

This is essentially an open aluminum trailer with a small fiberglass shell. Very limited in terms of what can be stored inside - basically whatever fits in a car that is in there! But on the positive side - it weighs low enough for me to be able to trailer it with my Ford Sport Trac (7000 lb. towing capacity), and the car is enclosed, AND I can use the trailer as a shelter to sleep in at the track. Not a lot of information available on their website (www.montrosetrailers.com)

Not even sure how much these cost - I just know they make them in Montrose, MI.

Thoughts / opinions? Yes - I know there are bigger enclosed trailers out there, and yes, I should 'upgrade' to a Ford F350, get a Gooseneck trailer, or better yet, get a Freightliner Stacker and be done. If that is your main suggestion, please be prepared to offer me a low-interest loan as well....

Thanks,
-Z-man.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd buy the used Trailex enclosed that was posted by the guy from NJ very recently before I'd buy that.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree the Trailex is the known quantity (but also presumably two or three times the price.)
That Montrose "caravan" design is exactly what I was thinking of doing for myself -- tow behind a small SUV or pickup and great for simple loading/unloading to get to track days with less fuss and operating costs than a full rig.
Their "high profile" design also looks like it could be very functional and still very light.

http://www.montrosetrailers.com/gall...ilers/MVC_022F

Amazing ...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

I saw a Montrose for the first time last week, I talked w/ the owners for a long time, they were very pleased w/ their purchase. Montrose appears to be able to accommodate most any wish that a purchaser could ask for. The quality seemed to be very good for something that light.

I would have gotten one w/ full width walls, but other than that this would be a perfect replacement for my Trailex

Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Z

I think there's someone in NNJR with one of these.

I don't know his name but I can tell you that he pulls the trailer with a burgendy colored doge durango.

First time I saw it (at Pocono for the last Porscherama...a few years ago) I did a double-take...trying to figure out if he was towing a camper or a car trailer.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I like the corner jacks to make it stable. I wonder if it's also a flex issue with the frame?
Wheel stowage in the "belly" of the trailer is a great solution, too.
Still looks like the tie-down of the wheels is a hassle -- it needs access hatches at the wheels (like the larger access door for the driver's door) so you don't have to clamber around the body of the car to get the straps onto the wheels or tie-down points.
Given the "camper" construction, surely it's very light. I didn't find prices or specs on the site.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

OK - I called the folks at Montrose -- here's more information for those interested:

A 16 foot unit weighs about 1500 lbs. 10 ft ramps. Price is $8995.00. ($1000 more for the tire well as seen in the pics above from Lime Rock).

Not cheap, but I believe it is less than a Trailex, and weighs less as well...

-Z-man.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Great for towing your Bad Motor Scooter.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
OK - I called the folks at Montrose -- here's more information for those interested:

A 16 foot unit weighs about 1500 lbs. 10 ft ramps. Price is $8995.00. ($1000 more for the tire well as seen in the pics above from Lime Rock).

Not cheap, but I believe it is less than a Trailex, and weighs less as well...

-Z-man.
8995 that is pricy, but 1500lbs is light. My 24 footer cost at little bit more than 1/3 that price 1 year used, but comes in about 3400lbs empty. Fully loaded I would not pull it with a sport trac period. Heck I would only pull my enclosed with a 3/4 ton or a 1/2 ton spec-ed just right.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
8995 that is pricy, but 1500lbs is light. My 24 footer cost at little bit more than 1/3 that price 1 year used, but comes in about 3400lbs empty. Fully loaded I would not pull it with a sport trac period. Heck I would only pull my enclosed with a 3/4 ton or a 1/2 ton spec-ed just right.
'Zactly. 3400lbs + 3000lb car + my gear puts me over the 7,000 lb tow limit of my Sport Trac, not to mention my GVWR!

Still, a new Trailex Open trailer would cost just a little less than that Montrose unit...

-Z
Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Digging up an old thread to see if anyone has any additional experience / comments on the sort of Montrose trailer Z-Man was asking about.

I've started looking around for a trailer. I want something I can pull with a vehicle I'd be willing to commute daily in, which rules out 3/4 ton pickups and the like....
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

No experience but I saw one at WG in May. The owners loved it. I walked around it thoroughly. It looked well built. Unfortunately that event was my first with my new Trailex open trailer.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Q7, Touareg, or Cayenne will tow a 20' V-nosed ATC with no issues. great daily drivers as well!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
Q7, Touareg, or Cayenne will tow a 20' V-nosed ATC with no issues. great daily drivers as well!
Pull it? Sure
Stop it or hold it stable in heavy crosswinds? Not so sure about that.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, That's because you've never tried. I am constantly surprised by how comfortably and safely my Cayenne will deal with the whole towing experience. Admittedly I typically tow an open trailer but I have towed a 24' enclosed. Last year we towed a total of over 12,000 miles including Texas to Newfoundland in a bit over three days and often cruised in excess of 80mph. Over the last 8 years of towing with a Cayenne I have hit all sorts of conditions including hurricane force winds, torrential rain, bad dirt roads and everything else nature can throw at you. I have never once doubted the capability and nor have I had any control issues of any sought. I also think nothing of averaging 1000 mile days to get where I'm going. The quality of the brakes alone make my friend's Tundra look ridiculous. I would not hesitate to tow a small enclosed trailer (assuming a total weight of less than 7000#) with a cayenne (or a q7 - which I have also had a lot of experience with).

Quick Reply: Montrose trailer experience