Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
It looks like the flaggers did not take control of the situation. If guy blows oil all over track and is off in the grass where is the waving yellow with the debris flag? When later two cars are off where is race control? You see cars proceeding at full tilt for along time in car 2's video then the crash.
Nope, totally disagree. The flaggers were doing 100% of their job.

There was a debris flag at S/F, yellow at 1, etc. They gave all the info out that they could and should have.

This is NOT a flagger problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

It looks like the flaggers did not take control of the situation. If guy blows oil all over track and is off in the grass where is the waving yellow with the debris flag? When later two cars are off where is race control? You see cars proceeding at full tilt for along time in car 2's video then the crash.
I don't want this thread to start into the flagger doing their job vs. not doing it thread. This is a thread about safety in our cars that we are putting on the track. It is a thread to discuss the equipment we use and the merits of doing so. We all need something to showoff how much money we just spent on the cage or ultra cool carbon fiber custom seat. If you want me to start a flagger thread and if they were doing their job or not I will but I can assure you they were doing their job 100% throughout the entire last lapincident.

Let's keep it on topic.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, do I understand that the point of the containment seat is to restrict the side-to-side movement of the head, while the Hans device would be primarily fore-aft? In other words, the Hans device is not intended to control the whiplash of a side impact?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
So, do I understand that the point of the containment seat is to restrict the side-to-side movement of the head, while the Hans device would be primarily fore-aft? In other words, the Hans device is not intended to control the whiplash of a side impact?
yes. That's essentially correct.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
yes. That's essentially correct.
I use a containment seat but someone pointed out at the RA race that because of the seat I could not exit our the window if the car was on fire and the door wouldn't open. After some thought, in my view a collision is a higher probability event than a fire, so I accept this trade off. Plus I am am putting in a fire system before the next race. Any other views on this?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound reasoning. While fire is what we all dread, head & neck injuries are more likely, and shuold take priority in your safety system. A few other thoughts in this scenario.

-Practice getting out, including out the passenger side. I found my quick release on my right sided net needed a lube to make it work under tension practicing exits.

-Move the seat back as far as you can. Pedal extensions may help.

-Spend extra time sealing all the little holes in your firewall, and underneath the car.

-Get the best fire safety equipment.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

The problem with guys only doing DEs is that a seat with a halo is really dangerous on the street in terms of restricted visability. Especially in the traditional blind zone.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I use a containment seat but someone pointed out at the RA race that because of the seat I could not exit our the window if the car was on fire and the door wouldn't open. After some thought, in my view a collision is a higher probability event than a fire, so I accept this trade off. Plus I am am putting in a fire system before the next race. Any other views on this?
Yup, same here. I regularly practice getting out of my car with all my gear on, and it got noticeably more difficult, even with the door open, when I put the containment seat in. But I agree with you that the trade-off is for the best.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The problem with guys only doing DEs is that a seat with a halo is really dangerous on the street in terms of restricted visability. Especially in the traditional blind zone.
It takes 20 minutes to swap in a halo seat with rail into a car for a DE event. After event you put back the stock seat. If that is too much trouble well then....
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

FWIW Dept. for those who race NASA:

From the NASA CCR:

The driver must demonstrate the ability to exit their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors) or formula/sports racers; and within fifteen (15) seconds by way of the window opening for sedans. Drivers must be wearing all of their required driver’s gear and be tightly belted into the driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone that fails this test may be penalized with penalties ranging from a warning to exclusion from participation until corrections are made.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
FWIW Dept. for those who race NASA:

From the NASA CCR:

The driver must demonstrate the ability to exit their car within ten (10) seconds by opening the door (for cars with doors) or formula/sports racers; and within fifteen (15) seconds by way of the window opening for sedans. Drivers must be wearing all of their required driver’s gear and be tightly belted into the driver’s seat when the clock starts. Anyone that fails this test may be penalized with penalties ranging from a warning to exclusion from participation until corrections are made.
That second one would definitely be a problem in my car...unless I can use the passenger side window.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can, but it takes some practice to meet the rule reliably. I failed by a second or so the first time I was tested at a NASA event - got hung up on equipment. It was enlightening
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just hit the NASCAR wall at TWS recently, rear corner of the car first going 70mph at impact. My halo seat is now slightly deformed, and the right rear bolt point in the tub for the sliders (more on that in a minute) was deformed by about 1/2 inch. Up until that wreck, I was on the fence about halo seats, primarily because they make an emergency exit more difficult. Had I not been in a halo, I'm sure that I would have at least been in a fair amount of pain after the wreck. Instead I walked away unscathed and not even sore. I'm now a believer.

As far as the sliders, I know it's not preferred to have them in a race car, but they held up fine, and I like the fact that I can slide the seat back if I need to get out of the car in a hurry. Moving the seat back helps make exit quicker. Yeah, I know about the compromise on the sliders. Flame away if you want to.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a seat to use for a simulator setup, let me know. It's for sale.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

It is alot easier to get out of containment seat cockpits if in emergencys you bypass opening the door and just head out the window 2 hands and head first like you are diving into a swimming pool or back out the window head first and just drop on your back and backside. It is maybe a 3ft drop max and you got a helmet on.

To the person who has a deformed containment seat I guess it is aluminum? If so containment seats of metal on sliders is a no no because they deform. In dated FIA plastic seats are better for sliders.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It is alot easier to get out of containment seat cockpits if in emergencys you bypass opening the door and just head out the window 2 hands and head first like you are diving into a swimming pool or back out the window head first and just drop on your back and backside. It is maybe a 3ft drop max and you got a helmet on.

To the person who has a deformed containment seat I guess it is aluminum? If so containment seats of metal on sliders is a no no because they deform. In dated FIA plastic seats are better for sliders.
Nope, it's an FIA Cobra fiberglass seat. The deformation is small, but it's there.

Quick Reply: Head Restraint Seat and Window Net Thread