Sponsored by:

Head Restraint Seat and Window Net Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
And we have another WINNER! Not only could this exact same incedent happen [in a DE], IMHO it could occur with the same frequency.
Yep, and it always makes me question why we can't use turn signs to indicate passing sides, instead of an arm out the window in DEs. The turn signal is more visible, keeps the drivers hands on the wheel and would allow me to use my window net. I've got the right side net too.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Where the hell did that guy come from? He just appears from the RHS outta nowhere??
Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Where the hell did that guy come from? He just appears from the RHS outta nowhere??
From the other site he said he saw everyone slowing down, got on the brakes a bit earlier than normal but was in the middle of the oil. Immediately was going for a ride. E36 even if it's going easy is still carrying some big time speed going into that turn.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

So he was behind 'us' and came past from the rhs, got on the brakes skidded way right and then snapped back to T-bone the crashed car? Wow.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

HANS device- check
Racetek seat with halo- check
driver's side net- check
right side net- check
full NASCAR type cage- check
fire suppression system- check
light/strong helmet- check
best FR racing suit- check

Any money left- not much.
Peace of mind- some (enough I guess).

Good point about DEs. Some people used to and may still scoff at HANs and/or race suits etc. because its only a DE, but the way I figure it the Armco and concrete walls at Road Atlanta are non-discriminating and don't care.
This was from last NASA race there but picture a street car weighing another 1000lbs (F= M x A) with no cage. There's a motor underneath there somewhere:
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Removed the video link.
If you have permission from the drivers involved let me know so that I can restore it.

Thanks

John
Why do you need the drivers permission? It was posted publicly on many places already, it happened in a bmw race. Why remove the link? I would certainly hope this is not a RL policy, as I could not find it in the rules of the forum.

Crash videos and pictures allow us to examine what happened, see how different situations play out, and maybe improve our process or change how act if a similar situation comes up.

This is auto racing, its inherently dangerous, crashes are going to happen. Lets learn from them and move on. No reason to cover the eyes of adults doing a dangerous sport.

car that hit after:

impacted car:

It would be very interesting to see how the door bars held up in this situation. And as Seth said, a head restraint seat is a must have these days.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So he was behind 'us' and came past from the rhs, got on the brakes skidded way right and then snapped back to T-bone the crashed car? Wow.
Cause of the incident, two holes through the block.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuSENC8v2k

another view, you can see the exit speed of the cars in question:
http://www.vimeo.com/22240697
Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Why do you need the drivers permission? It was posted publicly on many places already, it happened in a bmw race. Why remove the link? I would certainly hope this is not a RL policy, as I could not find it in the rules of the forum. ....
Plus it was simply posted on Vimeo and was obviously publicly viewable. I can't fathom why a moderator would delete a link to a public image or video, regardless of permission of those involved.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Sure, you can find everything in youtube or vimeo etc, that doesn't mean that they were posted with permission from the people involved..

In any case, common courtesy suggests that those involved give their permission. We will try to implement that at least in the technical forums, since we have some short of better control on what is posted than the aforementioned video sites.

If an owner or someone with permission from the owner of a crashed car wishes to post then by all means it's their prerogative, or if one of these threads is started to raise a safety issue for our cars again that is alright and might help the community.

But to be honest most of them are just published for all the wrong reasons and usually to satisfy curiosity or for a good "laugh".

I admit that I was a bit trigger happy with this one since it was from a public race and not a DE event or filmed on the street but generally speaking videos or photos that better belong to tabloid newspapers and sites dedicated to show other people's misfortune offer nothing useful and might be removed.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It is my understanding that this was the first incident after the blown motor:

http://www.vimeo.com/22240697

As far as I know, the track never went black/yellow or red even after the car to car contact. Anyone know who makes that call, is it the corner worker or the race steward?

Be careful out there!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of other thoughts cross my mind when watching these videos that are additional good lessons to learn.

1) Look far ahead. If you see 3 or 4 cars off track it's probably a sign you should slow down and be more aware. There may be more to the situation than meets the initial look of it.

2) Stay in your car after something happens, because something worse could still happen.

3) Always try to find a better exit strategy if something does happen, going off track isn't good, but if it prevents contact with another vehicle, wall, etc, it may be a better option.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Removed the video link.
If you have permission from the drivers involved let me know so that I can restore it.

Thanks

John
Wow, just wow. Is this really the direction RL is heading?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:10 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 912 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Wow, just wow. Is this really the direction RL is heading?
Greg,

The mods will delete a link to a video but they will let "you know who" kill thread after thread after thread. That makes me say "Wow!"....

Scott
Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

It looks like the flaggers did not take control of the situation. If guy blows oil all over track and is off in the grass where is the waving yellow with the debris flag? When later two cars are off where is race control? You see cars proceeding at full tilt for along time in car 2's video then the crash.

People also need to think about violating the engineered crumple zones in your racecar by building too much cage. Too much cage is just as bad as too little cage. I have seen people build bars way more posterior than they need and destroy that rearend safety zone. Many who never intend to protect a passenger put giant NASCAR bars on both sides of the car. Think about NASCAR bars for the driver and "X" bar the passenger side.

How many of you think you are safe with unsupported NASCAR bars?

When are we going to see affordable crashboxes available at the amateur level?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

That was a nasty hit. Consider a properly installed head restraint seat. Also check and make sure your eyebolts and bolts holding your seat in the car are tight and of the proper grade. For you DE guys new to this who are thinking about seats and other safety equipment, when you purchase your seats, get the hardware from the supplier you are working with. Don't get cheap stuff from the hardware store.

There was a debris flag displayed at start/finish which tells me that they knew there was oil on the track in the brake zone for 1. Couldn't tell if the yellow was also displayed with it.

Quick Reply: Head Restraint Seat and Window Net Thread