Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was $85. Now he's $100...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

In Northern California, any good Porsche indy is 125. Stealer is 160.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

Regardless of what the hourly charge its the quality of the work and the effectiveness of the repairs
Dont get caught into the low ball hourly rate and get stuck in it for over billing hours.

We are not the cheapest by far but we are fair.

I think its best to find someone you feel comfortable with and you know will take care of you and your car. Paying a low rate for labor at a shop that does little to help you when they screw up or when you need help on other items isnt a good deal at all.

In the end just like everything else, you pay for what you get.. Factor in your geographical area's overhead and you can quickly see who is charging a fair price.

In the end you are racing a car at speed in a dangerous environment you dont want to skimp on 20-30 bucks an hour + or - .. Besides whats your safety worth?

People are often caught up in the cheapest deal out there because its a race car... Whiles that's ok for a while it really sucks when your at the track and have spent thousands of dollars to be there and your car breaks or is not set up properly.. That costs more heart ache and frustration than anything and in the end costs you more money..

Look at it this way.. if you have a ten hour job and 1 guy charges you $1000.00 to do @ 100.00 per hour and the guy up the road is more expensive at 120 per hour but you know he is better at what he does for many reasons. Isnt a 200 price difference worth an enjoyable and successful weekend?

Find the best place that does the best work.. Worry about the labor rate second.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Look at it this way.. if you have a ten hour job and 1 guy charges you $1000.00 to do @ 100.00 per hour and the guy up the road is more expensive at 120 per hour but you know he is better at what he does for many reasons. Isnt a 200 price difference worth an enjoyable and successful weekend?

Find the best place that does the best work.. Worry about the labor rate second.
It always amazes me that guys will spend so much money for the car, and then cheap out at every opportunity. If 5 or 10% makes such a difference, maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car to begin with?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always amazes me that guys will spend so much money for the car, and then cheap out at every opportunity. If 5 or 10% makes such a difference, maybe you shouldn't have bought such an expensive car to begin with?
Hey, being cheap is how I was able to afford the car!!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
$150 per hour? Ridiculous...
Yes, and that is at 3 different shops that I have used.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 AM
flemingpollard
1st Gear

My friend is replacing the fuel pump in his car. I have no idea how much that would cost if we took it to a mechanic. Does anyone know what the going rate is?

rate my mechanic
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flemingpollard
My friend is replacing the fuel pump in his car. I have no idea how much that would cost if we took it to a mechanic. Does anyone know what the going rate is?

rate my mechanic
Have you read the thread? Rates vary by region. I imagine most shops bill based on book rate, but I don't know what that is for a fuel pump.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, we really have it good! I have a dealer mechanic who works on the side for $40 hour. 5 years of racing, 9 hour enduros, zero engine failures from this guy's motors. It helps living in a small town, with a low cost of living!

Bennington Motorsports charges us 944 guys $50/hour for trackside support work/fixes. Rather than sponsor the 944 Spec class through prize money, they charges us less.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Hourly Rate?